Red Wine Recommendation!

Ive tried many wines, expensive and not. Never drank an expensive wine that was worth the price.
:dance:

Drinking an expensive wine is like traveling business or Ist class on a flight. If you like/recognize the experience and it's worth the price, enjoy. If you fly coach, you'll get to the same place as everyone in business, only with more dollars in your pocket. It's all a matter of choice. Your Experience May Vary!

:dance:

Drinking an expensive wine is like traveling business or Ist class on a flight. If you like/recognize the experience and it's worth the price, enjoy. If you fly coach, you'll get to the same place as everyone in business, only with more dollars in your pocket. It's all a matter of choice. Your Experience May Vary!

Nah. Business/First - many obvious perks and comforts. One doesn't need a refined butt to recognize the larger seat, or an enhanced pallet for the bonus of soft fresh chocolate chip cookies, free drinks (and I had never realized how great warmed walnuts can be.) While most may not agree the price differential is worth it, we can probably all recognize First is nicer than Coach.

But wine is different. Many of us literally cannot tell the difference between a $20 and a $200 bottle.

It's being sold just a couple of miles from where I live for around $14. I'll definitely give it a try.

Thanks for the tip, Midpack.

I do enjoy drinking wine and prefer reds. However, I do not drink it often and nor do I know much about it. Which is in a way lucky for me because I enjoy most wines I have tried no matter what the price.

In other words, offering me a glass of expensive wine is kinda of a waste but I'll surely drink it.

I do like posters responding with their fav. $10 to $12 bottles. Helps me avoid looking like a lost dog going down the wine isle at Binnys.:D

I was at a famous chateau winery, and then I looked at the prices for ordering the same wine in the US. After the exchange rate it was almost the same price - very low markup.

We visit a lot of wineries in Europe.

I am not an oenophile, so did not visit any winery when I was in Bordeaux and Saint-Emilion. In grocery stores, I was quite happy with the bewildering offering of bottles from small local vintners, who seemed to compete with one another for attention with labels claiming AOC and awards that they won. And it was rare to see a bottle above 10 euros. I loved it.

However, the reason I went to Bordeaux was because it was close to Cognac, a place for which I came to the region. I visited the cellars of Remy Martin, which required an advance reservation. At the company store at the end of the visit, I saw that the bottles there were not any cheaper than in the US. Why buy there to bring back? Still, I had to buy an XO bottle to lug back home, because they said that it was a blend not exported to the US.

When I shared it with people back home, none of us had a fine enough palate to tell it from the other XO blends. They are all so smoooth. Just the bottle was uncommon.

PS. Next time I visit the region, will spend more time to visit smaller cognac and armagnac producers who do not export. I have read that there are gems to be discovered.

Last edited:
Nah. Business/First - many obvious perks and comforts. One doesn't need a refined butt to recognize the larger seat, or an enhanced pallet for the bonus of soft fresh chocolate chip cookies, free drinks (and I had never realized how great warmed walnuts can be.) While most may not agree the price differential is worth it, we can probably all recognize First is nicer than Coach.

But wine is different. Many of us literally cannot tell the difference between a $20 and a $200 bottle.

Nor should you and I'm not promoting either. Generic/ store brand vs. Name Brand. Then Bud/Coors/Miller light to Sam Adam's Utopia, Budweiser's Brewmaster Select or Pabst 1844. It's all perceived value to one's taste, nothing more. Eat, drink what makes you merry!

So I bought a bottle last night of one of my recommendations earlier in the thread. Shebang 12th cuvée from Bedrock Wines. It’s a cheap wine, $11-$12. Screw cap top. We loved it, spicy red fruits, pepper, higher acidity that leads to lip smacking goodness. Not ripe or sweet and little in the way of oak influences like vanilla.
I would like to comment on folks who say they can’t tell the difference between cheap and expensive wines. Most higher dollar wines are meant for aging. Consuming them young leads to wines that are tight or not fully developed yet. The flavor just isn’t there yet. If you are also buying a $100 wine at a restaurant it’s really probably a $30 wine and it’s probably too young.
One last comment, if you can’t tell the difference in quality vs cheap wines, why do some feel the need to label those that can as a “snob.”

Nor should you and I'm not promoting either. Generic/ store brand vs. Name Brand. Then Bud/Coors/Miller light to Sam Adam's Utopia, Budweiser's Brewmaster Select or Pabst 1844. It's all perceived value to one's taste, nothing more. Eat, drink what makes you merry!

I side with winemaker on this. Whatever puts the dill in your pickle. As Dave Matthews put it:
some people don't
some people think
some people won't
some people like to smoke a bowl
and some don't
some people do it
and some people don't
but its ok cause its meant to be that way

Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas. I’m happy to afford the occasional bottle. Who'd have thought thirty year ago ...

I too like hearing about lower cost bottles people enjoy. I like red wine with dinner, but am not particularly interested in spending a lot on a standard weeknight dinner. My experience has been that the better low cost bottles end up getting increased to the ~$20 mark within a few years, so I feel like I’m constantly looking for that next find.

Thanks for the recommendation mid pack. I picked up a bottle at Costco earlier this week. Thinking I may thaw a steak to go with it!

So I bought a bottle last night of one of my recommendations earlier in the thread. Shebang 12th cuvée from Bedrock Wines. It’s a cheap wine, $11-$12. Screw cap top. We loved it, spicy red fruits, pepper, higher acidity that leads to lip smacking goodness. Not ripe or sweet and little in the way of oak influences like vanilla.
I would like to comment on folks who say they can’t tell the difference between cheap and expensive wines. Most higher dollar wines are meant for aging. Consuming them young leads to wines that are tight or not fully developed yet. The flavor just isn’t there yet. If you are also buying a $100 wine at a restaurant it’s really probably a $30 wine and it’s probably too young.
One last comment, if you can’t tell the difference in quality vs cheap wines, why do some feel the need to label those that can as a “snob.”

When one posts a message with the best of intentions, with the hope of being helpful to people, only be be told, "You had me until I saw the bourbon barrel aging. It’s no longer wine, but a beverage", I can see how that can grate on some peoples' nerves. You could have just said nothing. Just saying this as an impartial spectator.

Last edited:
... Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas. I’m happy to afford the occasional bottle. Who'd have thought thirty year ago ...

:)

I always heard that as "Château de Château", which I took as a silly, made up name, just for yucks. Like "ACME Corp" in the Roadrunner.

-ERD50

When one posts a message with the best of intentions, with the hope of being helpful to people, only be be told, "You had me until I saw the bourbon barrel aging. It’s no longer wine, but a beverage", I can see how that can grate on some peoples' nerves. You could have just said nothing. Just saying this as an impartial spectator.

That’s a fair comment and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
My comment was in regard to a now removed post where someone said they hated wine snobs. I thought that was a bit much.

That’s a fair comment and I appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
My comment was in regard to a now removed post where someone said they hated wine snobs. I thought that was a bit much.

Woops - nevermind then. Don't mind me.

Okay. So I'll give this a go again. Costco does stock different wines by region. If you get in the Pinot section there are two great buys. First is Four Graces which retails under $19 and is a nice wine. Second is Elk Cove and retails somewhere under $20.

When we do buy Wash reds they are: Chateau St Michelle, Saviah "The Jack", Tamarack Red. You can find a ton of Malbecs under $15 and some decent Tempranillos (Rioja) that tasty and spicy if you want to mix it up.

I side with winemaker on this. Whatever puts the dill in your pickle. As Dave Matthews put it:

Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas. I’m happy to afford the occasional bottle. Who'd have thought thirty year ago ...

"You're right there Obediah"

Last edited:
Navarro!

Took advantage of this too. Navarro makes high QPR wines. No mega purple here, just well made reasonably priced wine. Been on their mailing list for many years.

Here is great deal from a great winery. All of their wines are excellent, but this deal is 6 bottles of wine,( 2 reds, 4 whites) but it's their choice, for $77.77. If you purchase 6 more bottles, the shipping is 1 cent anywhere in US. Can't be beat.

https://www.navarrowine.com/shop/2020-fukubukuro

Spot on...

Can’t agree more.

I like aged wines and it’s been my experience, over the last 35 years of tasting and enjoying the juice of the grape, that most inexpensive wines are not built for aging.

I recall having this discussion at a family gathering many years ago and we went out and bought 3 wines of the same vintage at different price points for a blind tasting: $15 J Lohr, $50 Phelps Insignia, $100 Camus S.S. (You can tell by the pricing how long ago this tasting occurred!)

The wine that scored the least was the Caymus Special Select, as it’s not made to enjoy right away, but is best after significant bottle age. Insignia came in second, but J. Lohr was a close second.

But if this tasting would have occurred 10 years later, the Caymus ( and Insignia) would be hitting it’s stride while the J. Lohr would certainly be past it’s prime. Apples and oranges as far as I’m concerned.

sella_mosca_cannonau_bottle.jpg

Recently discovered Cannonau (a Sicilian grenache) -- grapes from a region of Sicily is akin to one of those blue zones where people seem to live very long lives and drink the local wine in abundance. That aside, it is a pleasant inexpensive red with a little spice and goes well with just about anything as well as an evening with cheese $14-16/bottle. Enjoy.

sella_mosca_cannonau_bottle.jpg

Recently discovered Cannonau (a Sicilian grenache) -- grapes from a region of Sicily is akin to one of those blue zones where people seem to live very long lives and drink the local wine in abundance. That aside, it is a pleasant inexpensive red with a little spice and goes well with just about anything as well as an evening with cheese $14-16/bottle. Enjoy.

Nice find. I love Grenache based wines. The Spanish and French have made wonderful and inexpensive wines with this grape for years. The $14.99 Costco Kirkland Gigondas being a good example. I’ll have to check out the this bottle now as well.

The wine that scored the least was the Caymus Special Select, as it’s not made to enjoy right away..

I'm certainly uninformed when it comes to wine and understand some wines get better with age but why would they send a +$100 bottle of wine to market that isn't apparently ready? Always thought proper aging was done at the winery and if it's on the shelf it's ready to enjoy.

It’s that some high quality wines, mostly reds, will continue to develop complexity and character over many years after bottling if stored in the right conditions (darkness, so light rays don’t damage it, some humidity so the corks don’t dry out, steady, cooler cellar temperature and no vibration). Wines that age tend to have higher tannins and alcohol content. Aging-worthy wines are generally more expensive, sometimes much more so. Some people like to collect and trade them. People are attracted to special wines like they are attracted to fine art, rare cars or any other collectables. It might not be logical or economical from the point of view of mass market drinkers, which makes it an even more special hobby for those who enjoy doing it.

I failed to make a very important distinction in all this wine talk, which I love! An educated wine consumer opens so many tasting opportunities. DW, my mom and my Grandmothers, were all great cooks.

The important distinction is the food that you serve with your wine! Many foods are simply paired with the wrong wines. Would I enjoy a Cab Sauv with pizza or a stack of lasagna? Yes, but I would enjoy it more with a Sangiovese/Chianti/Super Tuscan more. A Merlot to go with my BBQ beef, but a great Zin would do better, as would Midpack's Barrel aged Cab. The residual sugar enhances the heat/spiciness of the BBQ.

I'm certainly uninformed when it comes to wine and understand some wines get better with age but why would they send a +$100 bottle of wine to market that isn't apparently ready? Always thought proper aging was done at the winery and if it's on the shelf it's ready to enjoy.

Some wineries will release aged wines (sometimes referred to as library wines), but most will not simply because of cashflow reasons.
Most aging is done in the bottle, hence the reason serious collectors create cellars or at least buy wine coolers/cabinets for storage.

I am not an oenophile, just an uninformed wine guzzler, but I have the impression that it is not necessary nowadays to pay a lot of money for a good bottle. Why?

It's because wine overproduction all over the world. The art of vine growing is now well-known and no longer a secret mastered by only a few vintners in the old world. Europe is awash in wine. And European wine consumption is decreasing, although Americans are now picking up the slack. And Australia and South America as well as the US are now producing good wine.

Thus, the rise of the term "lac du vin" (lake of wine). Some years back, the EU had to buy unsold wine from farmers to distill into ethanol for fuel. They paid something like a dime per liter. I read about the famed French actor Gérard Depardieu who bought a vineyard to produce wine as a hobby. He could not sold a bottle one year. It was bleak.

With that, you would think good European wine could be had at a lower price. Cognac is on the decline too, as young French people now drink beer and whisky. Cognac makers try to compensate for that by selling to Americans and the Chinese, but only large producers can afford the costly marketing in order to export. Small producers have a tougher time staying with the domestic market.

PS The French guide at Remy Martin admitted to us that she did not drink Cognac. It was not only the price, but young French people regarded it as a drink for geezers, and they drank whisky and other spirits.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom