Reducing dementia risk

I recruited a guy that I played softball with several years ago to play on our team this year. He has been suffering with dementia for several years and this will be his last year of playing. He has very good physical abilities, but has problems finding his bat and glove, does not know what to do with the the ball if it comes to him, and can only run to first base as beyond that he doesn't know when to stop. His wife told me how much he is enjoying playing and I am glad we were able to provide some happiness for him. It is quite sad to see how this formerly great player has declined, and it's even noticeable as this season has progressed.

So bend the rules a little for him. Have him wear ear buds so someone can tell him what to do via cell phone - stop at first, go on to 2nd. Throw it to the shortstop. It may be the decision process that's deficient - but he could orient towards the lifelong known landmarks of a baseball diamond.

How does he get there? Does someone drive him?

Thanks, I felt it was the right thing to do, although some did not like it. But heck, it's a recreational league and while we like winning and having strong players; friendship, fun and exercise are the main objectives.

Could he do something else so he can continue to come to the games (I assume his wife drives him). Could he be a "manager" or a cheerleader or something?

So bend the rules a little for him. Have him wear ear buds so someone can tell him what to do via cell phone - stop at first, go on to 2nd. Throw it to the shortstop. It may be the decision process that's deficient - but he could orient towards the lifelong known landmarks of a baseball diamond.

Just trying to have old guys do what they need to do is a challenge for managers even when they don't have any impairments. Ears buds and giving commands electronically would be difficult and not effective. We certainly try to communicate with him what to do, but its not a hearing problem that causes confusion. What we do is have a pinch runner for him after he gets to first base. We also place him in the field where there is less decision making required. We give him individual directions each inning of where he is playing or sitting out and make sure he gets his bat and glove and puts on his mask in the dugout. The point is we want him to have fun, and not place him in stressful situations. He is really enjoying what he is doing and its great to see him having fun.

How does he get there? Does someone drive him?
There is another player that lives near him that drives him and occasionally his wife comes.

As to next year, not sure whether he would want to come sit with us in the dugout or what might be possible, but I have been told this will be his last year.

I'm updating my own post today. A friend asked me to help research hearing loss and diet. Apparently there's a ton of nutrients that can help above and beyond magnesium. It is sad that none of the doctors this person has seen even mentioned diet with hundreds, maybe thousands, of papers out there on Pubmed and related articles on the Internet.

I'm not surprised that none of the doctors mentioned diet. There are thousands of published papers out there on diet and a variety of chronic diseases (cancer, heart disease, to name just a couple), and you won't hear many doctors discuss diet related to those conditions, either. Doctors are not trained in nutrition and diet. Our medical system is basically "disease management" (using pills and procedures, after you get sick), rather than preventive health care. For preventive health care, you are mostly on your own these days. That's why I do my own research, and try to incorporate the things I've learned into my own diet and lifestyle.

By the way, I don't mean to imply that there are no doctors out there who are informed about diet and chronic disease, and willing to discuss it with you. They are just in the minority, at least in my experience. Doctors trained in functional medicine are a little different, and put more emphasis on the relationship between diet/lifestyle and disease.

Back
Top Bottom