Refrigerator longevity

Jollystomper, this describes exactly the symptoms our 18 year old built-in GE Monogram side-by-side had last year. Service tech found 18 years worth of dust build-up around the condenser coils, and as a result, very high operating temps. The resulting fluctuating temps in both the freezer compartment and refrigerator had caused the ice maker to clog, and the refrigerated water tank in the back of the refrigerator to freeze and then crack. A good clean out of the condenser coils fixed the underlying problem, and we replaced the damaged water tank. The ice maker problem was solved too.

We had a similar problem with our old fridge as well. Youtube vids on troubleshooting and fixing the issues were indispensable.

When our refrigerator went out, I waited several days (stupid me) and bought a small Westinghouse refrigerator/freezer from Target for $169. I would say it is one of the slightly larger dorm type units. It will go in the closet for the next time.
I know you are talking about emergency use, but....

In my case I'm thinking that if/when my Kenmore ever gives out, my next refrigerator will be one of those little dorm size refrigerators, or at least a smaller refrigerator; something with no ice maker but with a decent freezer (if I can find one like that). My present 21 cu. ft. refrigerator works well, but it is way too big for just one 73-year-old woman like me.

I don't have a big family of dozens to cook for and feed; it's just me. I don't eat breakfast and we eat lunch out every day. Like many people, as I grow older I don't need to prepare and eat as much food as I once did.

It seems ridiculous with the high cost of a new refrigerator that the companies have also reduced the life span. No reason they could not last longer, as historically they have, it's just a business plan.
A few years ago I went shopping for a new refrigerator. The sales guy said new refrigerators are built with a smaller compressor to meet the latest energy requirements. Hence, is the reason why the compressors fail so often these days. YMMV

The sales guy said new refrigerators are built with a smaller compressor to meet the latest energy requirements. Hence, is the reason why the compressors fail so often these days. YMMV

I call BS. They know doggone well how to build a compressor that will run 24/7 for a century if they wanted to.

I call BS. They know doggone well how to build a compressor that will run 24/7 for a century if they wanted to.

But it might cost more and so not be price competitive with Chinese products from Haier/GE.

... The cost and complexity of these units makes me think having some type of optional warranty is worth considering.

or simply forego the complex units and go with something simpler. when we bought a new washing machine several years ago we saw any number with microprocessors featurimg a zillion settings, cycles, modes and even wifi and/or bluetooth enabled (really:confused:). we instead purchased a rugged, mechanical (no microprocessor), less than a dozen moving parts Speed Queen. we expect to have that unit forever.

Last edited:
I have avoided "counter depth" forever and I always will. Yes, it sticks out 6 inches, so what? Takes up a whole 1.5 sq-ft of kitchen space? Looks bad? Not smooth?

But bigger and more efficient and costs less.

But...but...it sticks out...

I have always avoided counter depth because it seemed like paying more money to get less. But, sometimes, people need to change their minds for different situations.

My current large refrigerator is in an area in the kitchen that is next to the door way to the dining room. It sticks out and into the doorway opening. The only way to avoid that is to either remodel the kitchen (to move the refrigerator location) or to get a counter depth. Normally the sticking out wouldn't bother me but in this case it narrows the doorway opening.

Used to, I didn't want a counter depth because we had lots of people in the house and the refrigerator was always full. Now, the two of us could get buy with one much smaller. Getting one that is narrower, though, would also look weird. The space is built in for a refrigerator of certain width. If I got a smaller more narrow refrigerator there would be a lot of empty space between the refrigerator and the wall. I could see dropping stuff there and the cats getting in there and that would be a pain. So counter depth would do best for that space.

Jollystomper, this describes exactly the symptoms our 18 year old built-in GE Monogram side-by-side had last year. Service tech found 18 years worth of dust build-up around the condenser coils, and as a result, very high operating temps. The resulting fluctuating temps in both the freezer compartment and refrigerator had caused the ice maker to clog, and the refrigerated water tank in the back of the refrigerator to freeze and then crack. A good clean out of the condenser coils fixed the underlying problem, and we replaced the damaged water tank. The ice maker problem was solved too.

We had a similar problem with our old fridge as well. Youtube vids on troubleshooting and fixing the issues were indispensable.

Thanks for the input! I was going to look at that, but these comments spurred me on. I dug out the maintenance manual and fortunately the condenser coils are in the front. I spent early evening after dinner removing the front bottom and cleaning the coils (yeah there was dust) ad front area. I just checked, the water is flowing again and ice is being made. I will check tomorrow to see if the fridge side temperature stabilizes. and the frozen items start thawing.

still running

I have a 1982 Kenmore Freezer and a 2008 GE side-by-side Fridge.
Both are still running well.

(I hope I didn't just jinx them)

or simply forego the complex units and go with something simpler. when we bought a new washing machine several years ago we saw any number with microprocessors featurimg a zillion settings, cycles, modes and even wifi and/or bluetooth enabled (really:confused:). we instead purchased a rugged, mechanical (no microprocessor), less than a dozen moving parts Speed Queen. we expect to have that unit forever.

Nah, I want at least 3 doors and through the door icemaker. Anything less would be going backwards. I don’t want WiFi. What’s the equivalent of a Speed Queen refrigerator anyway?

Nah, I want at least 3 doors and through the door icemaker. Anything less would be going backwards. I don’t want WiFi. What’s the equivalent of a Speed Queen refrigerator anyway?

When we bought our refrigerator and it had WiFi, I kind of shrugged. We bought it for other bells and whistles.

However -- the WiFi recently came in handy. When our refrigerator stopped cooling, we called LG. They were able to run diagnostic tests and check various things on the refrigerator because it was connected through WiFi. That enabled them to pinpoint what was wrong and gave us a couple of tests to run and then determined exactly what was wrong so the repairman came with everything he needed to solve the problem in one visit.

While I wouldn't buy a refrigerator just to get WiFi, it was a nice to have.

I had a GE fridge, it was probably over 25 years old when I got rid of it. It still ran fine, but was making a lot of strange noises, and I knew it was not very energy efficient. I kind of hated replacing something that still worked, but I was worried it wouldn't last too much longer. I replaced with with a Haier that's been trouble free for 3 years now and has probably paid for itself in savings on my electric bill. (But I'm sure it won't last as long at that old GE!).

We have a mid-1980's (estimate) Admiral harvest gold refrigerator in our basement that was left behind by the previous home owner when we bought the house 23 years ago. Never had any problem with it until last year when it stopped cooling. I was going to throw it out since it wasn't worth paying a repair guy to even check it out. Since I had just retired I thought I might as well tear it apart and just have more parts to carry out if I couldn't fix it. Using YouTube, I took it apart and found that the "heater" coil in the freezer part had stopped working and was wrapped in a solid ice block. Using a heat gun I thawed it out, fixed the old mechanical timer that controlled the auto-defrost cycle, put everything back together and it has run perfectly ever since. I was amazed, but know I was mostly lucky to have fixed it.

When we bought our refrigerator and it had WiFi, I kind of shrugged. We bought it for other bells and whistles.

However -- the WiFi recently came in handy. When our refrigerator stopped cooling, we called LG. They were able to run diagnostic tests and check various things on the refrigerator because it was connected through WiFi. That enabled them to pinpoint what was wrong and gave us a couple of tests to run and then determined exactly what was wrong so the repairman came with everything he needed to solve the problem in one visit.

While I wouldn't buy a refrigerator just to get WiFi, it was a nice to have.

I hope he didn't come to fix the WiFi. :dance:

On my wife's daily early morning run she scours the neighborhood for items the neighbors have thrown out. She got a great TV we used on the boat for over 10 years. She dragged home a contractors storage container, someone had welded wheels on it, so she tied it to the back of the truck!
Recently a refrigerator, with freezer compartment on top, Frigidaire manufactured Nov, 2016. The BIL checked it and found it low on Freon. He installed a shraider valve and added Freon. He said it most likely has a leak on the low pressure side so, it may need a recharge in a few years. It's been on the screened porch for a few months now, she's keep her garden produce in it and my son is keeping foods he wants in it. (it's sad the previous owner got less than 5 years out of it)
I try not to encourage her salvaging, but she just can't stand to see something go that she could profit from. She has a yard sale twice a year and sells some of the items she has picked up. The guys at the metal scrap yard know her by name. :facepalm:

Attachments

• Storage.jpg
    Storage.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 32
On my wife's daily early morning run she scours the neighborhood for items the neighbors have thrown out. She got a great TV we used on the boat for over 10 years. She dragged home a contractors storage container, someone had welded wheels on it, so she tied it to the back of the truck!
Recently a refrigerator, with freezer compartment on top, Frigidaire manufactured Nov, 2016. The BIL checked it and found it low on Freon. He installed a shraider valve and added Freon. He said it most likely has a leak on the low pressure side so, it may need a recharge in a few years. It's been on the screened porch for a few months now, she's keep her garden produce in it and my son is keeping foods he wants in it. (it's sad the previous owner got less than 5 years out of it)
I try not to encourage her salvaging, but she just can't stand to see something go that she could profit from. She has a yard sale twice a year and sells some of the items she has picked up. The guys at the metal scrap yard know her by name. :facepalm:
She's a "keeper" in my book.:)

She's a "keeper" in my book.:)

Ya, it will be 40 years in Sept. Her quirks are profitable, I give here credit for us having money, and Bob Brinker for teaching me to invest it.

MIL's fridge was still going when she passed. DW recalled it from the time she was a little girl. So it was at least 50+ years old. I recall when fridges were thrown away to get "the latest thing" or even the latest color - but they were still fully functional after 20, 30 or more years. I suspect the new stuff is built to fail early. YMMV

MIL's fridge was still going when she passed. DW recalled it from the time she was a little girl. So it was at least 50+ years old. I recall when fridges were thrown away to get "the latest thing" or even the latest color - but they were still fully functional after 20, 30 or more years. I suspect the new stuff is built to fail early. YMMV

Yes I agree. We have an extra fridge in our garage. When we did our remodel, I considered replacing it just because everything else was new. Decided that was silly and we’d hold onto it till it dies. So far it’s made it through summer of 2020 and still working now. Not sure how old it is as we got it along with the house from the previous owner. Garage fridges work hard in the desert!

We have a GE side-by-side Fridge that is about 20 yrs old, I was thinking of replacing it 2 yrs ago, but didn't get around to it.
I did clean the coils for the first time in about 5 yrs. Hard to do as they make it difficult to suck out the dust since all the coils are on the bottom.
I need an air compressor maybe :confused:

... I suspect the new stuff is built to fail early.
Last time I was in an appliance store, there were some items with big signs on them saying "BUILT TO LAST 10 YEARS!" - as if that's something to brag about?!

I have always avoided counter depth because it seemed like paying more money to get less. But, sometimes, people need to change their minds for different situations.

My current large refrigerator is in an area in the kitchen that is next to the door way to the dining room. It sticks out and into the doorway opening. The only way to avoid that is to either remodel the kitchen (to move the refrigerator location) or to get a counter depth. Normally the sticking out wouldn't bother me but in this case it narrows the doorway opening.

Used to, I didn't want a counter depth because we had lots of people in the house and the refrigerator was always full. Now, the two of us could get buy with one much smaller. Getting one that is narrower, though, would also look weird. The space is built in for a refrigerator of certain width. If I got a smaller more narrow refrigerator there would be a lot of empty space between the refrigerator and the wall. I could see dropping stuff there and the cats getting in there and that would be a pain. So counter depth would do best for that space.

I always had to purchase counter depth in LA due to the smaller sq ft locations, tiny kitchens. Anytime I wanted a new one or moved to a location that had an existing fridge the counter-depth would sell in less than 2-3 days with a good resale value. I am sure, most people on this forum dont have that issue but just something to consider.

We have a GE side-by-side Fridge that is about 20 yrs old, I was thinking of replacing it 2 yrs ago, but didn't get around to it.
I did clean the coils for the first time in about 5 yrs. Hard to do as they make it difficult to suck out the dust since all the coils are on the bottom.
I need an air compressor maybe :confused:

Sunset they have brushes for the fridge to clean out the bottom. I hold a shopvac at the bottom to suck up all the dust.

Cleaning the coils in a refrigerator is another example of engineering that lacks foresight toward preventative maintenance. There are many.

Back
Top Bottom