Remote Island retirement - alone and naked

Moscyn

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just sharing an interesting article I read -
Japanese Hermit, Masafumi Nagasaki, Has Lived Naked And Alone On Sotobanari Island For 20 Years [PHOTOS] - International Business Times

This 76-year old Japanese man retired on a remote island 20 years ago and has learnt to live frugally, alone and naked (yeah, wears no clothes - plenty savings there). He still looks strong and healthy (naked picture included in the article). In his own words - "Finding a place to die is an important thing to do, and I've decided here is the place for me," he said, reported Reuters. "It hadn't really occurred to me before how important it is to choose the place of your death, like whether it's in a hospital or at home with family by your side. But to die here, surrounded by nature -- you just can't beat it, can you?"

Doubt I can do this but he does have a point about dying surrounded by nature.

If he's happy...I'm happy for him.

As for me...modern conveniences have become a habit.

I wonder how much of his own urine he drinks.

I wonder how much of his own urine he drinks.

Ha ha! Apparently he is quite civilised - buys his water once a week from a nearby settlement. Won't be surprised he has a good stock of beer too!

I wonder what kind of reaction he gets when he walks through the settlement and into the stores naked?

From the article,

For 20 years, Nagasaki has lived on the Sotobanari Island just west of Japan's Okinawa prefecture. He was originally a photographer, working in the entertainment industry. However, he eventually decided to leave his job and get away from it all.

Whew, I'm glad I didn't work in the entertainment industry, if that experience drives people to a retirement so LBYM that they have to live alone and naked for 20 years. :2funny:

Sometimes, what that guy is doing sounds like heaven.

I agree about finding a place to die. Too many people end up in a hospital, hooked up to machines that are doing nothing but prolonging the inevitable. When my FIL had his stroke, they said he'd never recover from the coma. It seemed best to let him go. 18 days later, with no food and minimal fluids, he finally passed. I wonder about the humanity of that sometimes.

Between this and my diatribe in the fat people live as long as skinny people thread, I'm in serious downer mode today. I need some bacon or something.

Last edited:
If he's happy...I'm happy for him.

As for me...modern conveniences have become a habit.

Conveniences like a morphine drip if I ever have a lingering illness/death (happy thought!). And clothes! Me walking around naked is not a pretty thought.

His life sounds idyllic in its own way, but not at all to my taste. I could have chosen another island (I have visited Big Island, Maui and Kaua'i), but they are all too "un-spoiled" for me. I still want to go to Costco and (heaven forgive me) Burger King and Wendy's, etc. YMMV

Conveniences like a morphine drip if I ever have a lingering illness/death (happy thought!). And clothes! Me walking around naked is not a pretty thought.

His life sounds idyllic in its own way, but not at all to my taste. I could have chosen another island (I have visited Big Island, Maui and Kaua'i), but they are all too "un-spoiled" for me. I still want to go to Costco and (heaven forgive me) Burger King and Wendy's, etc. YMMV
Man...I hear ya. The first thing I thought about (with all my toof issues) was the lack of novacaine! :eek:

...........and my comfy bed. :angel:

(I have visited Big Island, Maui and Kaua'i), but they are all too "un-spoiled" for me. I still want to go to Costco and (heaven forgive me) Burger King and Wendy's, etc. YMMV

You need to come back! Kona's got a Costco. Not sure about the other two.

You need to come back! Kona's got a Costco. Not sure about the other two.

I will indeed have to come back. I love the Big Island! I love the volcanos. I love the moonscapes and tropical forests. I love the wide open spaces. I love driving the Saddle. I could definitely spend another two weeks exploring this natural wonder of an Island. I just don't think I could live there - even WITH a Costco! Thanks for the invitation.:cool:

I love that he's still got his cigarette. Man knows how to live.
Where does a nudist carry his cigarettes & matches?

It seemed best to let him go. 18 days later, with no food and minimal fluids, he finally passed. I wonder about the humanity of that sometimes.
My mother chose the "voluntary stopping eating & drinking" approach when her metastasized cancer started making her bones fragile. 18 days is toward the long end of the bell curve; I think she only needed a week. Her "humanity" issues were with her quality of life when she broke her leg. She was perfectly logical & lucid about the process, and she even hung on for the time it took my brother and I to fly in and say goodbye.

Books on "slow medicine" describe the process. Essentially any pain from hunger is less than the pain they've been tolerating from other sources, and it can be reduced with morphine or other palliatives. Regardless of the degree of pain, they've developed the willpower to see it through. Perhaps exerting their control over the process is preferable to the way their life has become.

20 years? It's taking him a lot longer than Thoreau...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom