Replacing running shoes

If barefoot walking is not for you, you may want to try to shoes with no cushion, where you can see each toe individually. They allow a lot more flexing of your foot muscles and are supposed to be very similar to walking barefoot. And if you don't like those, then just buy the cheapest running shoes you feel comfortable in. There is no proof that the extra expensive stuff adds any value beyond cosmetics.

Even though I run primarily on hard surfaces I use to buy trail running shoes for the extra cushion thinking it would be better for me. I recently bought a pair of very light weight and flexible running shoes that I planned on using only in the occasional 5K races I run in but found that my feet/legs feel so much better with these that I now use them all the time.

I imagine the number of miles before switching off depends a lot on one's weight. Heavier people are going to stress shoes more.

I too have read 500 miles is a good change off point. I mark my shoes with a sharpie (small print in the back of shoe above heal) with month/year. Then I keep a running log. Once I forgot to change off and got a bit of pain in the knee area at about 550 miles.

After maybe 475 miles I wash them up and use them as walking shoes. They look remarkably spiffy after a decent hand washing with just warm water and scrubbing. I also keep a pair around for gardening work.

Running is a cheap sport. Your feet will appreciate good foot protection.

I'm curious how everybody keeps track of the number of miles on your shoes. I'm not trying to be funny, but do you keep track in your head or keep some kind of log? I have no idea how many miles are on my shoes.

I'm curious how everybody keeps track of the number of miles on your shoes. I'm not trying to be funny, but do you keep track in your head or keep some kind of log? I have no idea how many miles are on my shoes.
I log my miles on a desk calendar. Total them every week and month.

I expect most people know the distance they cover and the numner of times per week the go out.

Another question: do shoes wear down on an elliptical at the same rate as if walking? My guess is the they would last much longer because there is no pounding.

There is something real about old shoes an shin splints according to my daughters running coach. I wish I new about the barefoot thing, would have saved me a bunch of money!

I guess you skipped over my post

I understand and agree completely. New Balance, in all it's wisdom, chose to discontinue the line I used and not replace it. So far no luck finding another. One nice thing about being retired, I have time to look.

What a drag! I am so lucky that New Balance continued the line I use. They just add 1 to the model number of my shoe when they tweak it, but basically it is the same shoe that I have been wearing since 2002. If they stopped making it, I would be devastated and it would take me a while to find just the right shoe. I would probably start by doing an internet search to find out what other devotees of that model have switched to. It might even help to shoot off an e-mail to New Balance to ask them what they recommend.

Last edited:
Another thing that affects shoe cushion is the surface you run on. I run on hilly terrain and am light weight for a male. Heavy guys on asphalt will probably need to change shoes more often.

I guess you skipped over my post
Who reads posts from a bear? Blue rabbits are much more interesting. ;)

Seriously, there is so much skim reading going on in these threads. Sometimes I think I've made a good point (or 2) and find that nobody seems to have noticed. Genius is underrated on the Internet.

Back
Top Bottom