Retired at 30 and Bored!

Get back to work. We need folks to to pay into SS.

I second whoever recommending that you start going to a bar. I don't recommend you drive afterwards, but it seriously sounds like you need to get a life. Maybe start dating.

I'm aware of the risk that I'll be depressed during my first years of ER.
Maybe that won't happen, but getting used to a new life without the structures you're used to can take a while to adapt to. But I'm sure I'll adapt after a while and thrive in my new existence.

If this is for real, don't take any drastic decisions. Give it some time. Spend some time or your hobbies or studying things you're interested in. If you don't have any hobbies and need a boss to feel good, then maybe ER isn't for you and you should send me all your money. ;)

I can't even imagine a 30 year old being bored.....too much p & v running through the veins.

I second whoever recommending that you start going to a bar. I don't recommend you drive afterwards, but it seriously sounds like you need to get a life. Maybe start dating.

Not sure if this will work for the OP since the OP stated "So don't tell me to travel or do anything that cost a lot of money because I am very frugal and don't want to spend any money on big expenses".

Dating can be VERY expensive if you meet "the one". The OP really needs to get a life outside of the grocery store....

Congrats on saving so well and learning to use coupons and LBYM.

Now it's time to learn how to live. Your savings and investments may provide you with the resources to pay your way in life, but you really need to find some meaning in your life. And it ain't coupons.

Find someone to help. For free.

Do something for someone who can't pay you back. It feels good.

Make something. That feels good too.

Read Dennis Prager's "Happiness is a Serious Problem." That will give you some ideas.

Well I post here because I have nothing else to do at home. I am just finding myself surfing the web all day long, feeling pretty much useless, feeling depress. I thought retirement would be so great but it isn't the case. I just want to know what people do when they retire to make their lives are little happier. So don't tell me to travel or do anything that cost a lot of money because I am very frugal and don't want to spend any money on big expenses.

Let me first apologize for some of the less considerate and sensitive replies. Depression is complex and not to be taken slightly, you can slip into it and not recognize yourself after awhile. A couple of suggestions

1 Go outside, get some sun, and exercise - it helps
2. Limit computer and TV watching
3. Get professional help - guys are hesitant to ask for help - do it.
4. After working with a professional you can work on your work/no work question.

Good luck.

Or start smoking big hunks of crack.

Or start smoking big hunks of crack.

Well, I now know if I ever need a shoulder to cry on to just head straight over to Brewers. True man of compassion. :D

I think the OP should just start hunting a job.
In the current environment, that could keep him/her busy for the next 6 months to a year. That will cure the boredom for a while.

I can understand your dilemma. I would probably be doing the same thing (surfing the internet all day) if I retired with a very tight budget.

What did you used to do for fun before you retired? Did the things you did cost a lot of money? If so, maybe you can work just enough to give you the extra spending money?

Did you enjoy school? Maybe you can take a couple of classes at night? (one way to meet people, or at least you have people around you...)

Try to find out what makes you happy and go from there...

Well, I now know if I ever need a shoulder to cry on to just head straight over to Brewers. True man of compassion. :D

I think the OP should just start hunting a job.
In the current environment, that could keep him/her busy for the next 6 months to a year. That will cure the boredom for a while.

Hey, at least my suggestion would keep OP from being bored...

I don't live with my mother but my mother always says, if you don't have anything nice to say, you should keep your mouth shut! I am not a billionaire nor I am not super rich but I am just able to live comfortablly in the lifestyle that I am in with the money that I have.

I believe you at 30 you made a big sacrifice to retire early good job. I guess the key now would be to look for free or cheap things to do like books, movies and TV shows from the library. Tennis and disc golf are also very cheap to play.

I just want to know what people do when they retire to make their lives are little happier. So don't tell me to travel or do anything that cost a lot of money because I am very frugal and don't want to spend any money on big expenses.

Um, accumulate a sufficient level of assets that allows you to spend a certain amount of money guilt free.

What are you saving it for, after all? If you are in fact clearing $2500 a month net after your expenses and saving it, then what do you ultimately plan on doing with your money?

Why not travel or do something that costs some money. You can afford it. I guess if you are hands on managing your rentals then you can't really leave them for very long though.

Just phrase the question to yourself in this manner: "Is there anything more enriching in life than sitting in a cubicle making powerpoint presentations or spreadsheets?" If your answer is yes, and you are truly financially independent, then do whatever is most interesting to you.

Well I post here because I have nothing else to do at home. I am just finding myself surfing the web all day long, feeling pretty much useless, feeling depress. I thought retirement would be so great but it isn't the case. I just want to know what people do when they retire to make their lives are little happier. So don't tell me to travel or do anything that cost a lot of money because I am very frugal and don't want to spend any money on big expenses.
Well it doesn't make sense to retire early if all you are going to do is sit at home with nothing to do.

Either you need to have lots to do at home, or you need to have lots to do elsewhere.

If you stay at home and do nothing because you can't afford to do anything and that makes you miserable - well, I guess you couldn't really afford to retire early in the first place.

Audrey

Wow! Me thinks fake, but who knows? If your budget is that tight, maybe you should go back to work. Money ain't everything, but there is a balance. Why are you still investing if you are retired? If you have enough to live on for the next 60 years, let loose. Sounds like you are generating 3 grand a month and investing $2500. Why:confused: so you can draw $4000 a month at 40 and reinvest $3500? One person can have a ball with $3000 a month.

If your bored, the first thing you should do to occupy your time is think of other things to occupy your time. If you are really that dull that you can't at 30, then you got bigger problems.

Wow!! You sound just like me only I'm happy, not bored, and I do have a few hobbies. There has to be something that you like doing. Reading, researching investments, watching movies (Redbox movies are only $1/night), or spending time with your family. For me retirement is not being a slave to a job and living your life how you want to live it. I just can't believe that clipping coupons and grocery shopping are the only things that make you happy.

It's not like I am on tight on money. I have the money. I just disciplined myself into investing whatever I have left over each month. I don't spend a lot. It's because I don't like wasting money on useless things that I don't use or need. I don't have the newest gadgets, cars or anything like that. I have gone on dates but a lot of gay guys are very materialistic. When they see the car I drive or the clothes that I wear they run. It's hard finding another gay guy who has the same values and in the same boat as me. One time I took a date to dinner and I used B1G1 meal free, he said I was cheap and laugh at me! I know I have a lot of emotional and personal issues to deal with. Maybe I shouldn't care so much about money. Maybe that's why I can't never be happy with my life. I thought an early retirement will make me happy but it hasn't.

I think it's going to be hard to find someone, anyone, who is like-minded and willing to live happily on $500 a month like you do. Even among the frugal, you are a bit extreme! It looks like you need to loosen up the purse strings a little. If you were a bit more mainstream, it might be perhaps easier to meet people. Instead of investing $2,500 a month, keep a $500 allowance and invest the rest. Your retirement income is already equal to six times your expenses, what difference is it going to make? You don't have to blow your allowance on meaningless items either, but perhaps you can splurge on a date or two. I find that having something special to look forward to (a vacation, a movie, a good meal, visiting a friend, etc...) is essential for my own happiness. With no desire you are not living, you are merely surviving... I also find that, despite being a pretty introverted guy, I yearn to belong. Socializing takes a lot of energy out of me, but I find it rewarding to make the effort to connect with others. I go out of my way to keep in touch with friends and family members and, in retirement, I will make it a point to get out of the house at least once a day.

What Dex said and Welcome to the Forum!:greetings10:

Guess I'm slow but it would take more than two months to declare myself bored. Question: were you bored at work? If you were, maybe it's just a bad habit. If there isn't already a 12-step program for boredom, you could start one. ;)

Why are people jealous when you can retire early and they can't. My neighbors are the same thing. They think I am faking my retirement and think I'm just unemployed because they see me at the supermarket with my coupons. When I tell them that I don't work and I retired they laugh and say I'm joking with them. I don't need you to believe that I'm retired but I just need some guidance. Are there any other young people who retired too early and decided to go back to work?

If he is spending only $500 per month he is living in his parents basement.... not a life I want to lead....

OK... so later in a post OP said he does not live at home...

SOOOOO... give us your $500 budget... I don't believe it...

And I can stretch a dollar with the best of them... I could not do it back in the early 80s when rent was $300...

Back
Top Bottom