Retired at 30 and Bored!

I have my own house which is paid off too. I don't pay rent. I have three other investments homes which are paid off too. That's where I am getting monthly income from. Net after those expenses(property tax, insurance, and etc) is around $3000. Well $500 bucks is a lot for food and personal expenses. I sometimes don't even use up the $500 after bills and everything. I only spend only $50 bucks for food which I could get $500 worths of groceries. No i'm not a girl. I'm a 30 year old gay guy. If you're interested, I'm available!

Either you need to have lots to do at home, or you need to have lots to do elsewhere.

"Having lots to do" is necessary?

I'm not into the Protestant work ethic, nor am I an extrovert. I'm tired of being busy and am aspiring to spend a lot of time lazing about, dreaming and relaxing. Going to get me a couple of cats to give me the good example, they're the best at it!

P.S. I do have ideas for a lot of stuff to do, but am afraid to fall into the trap of being "busy" again and not living.

There's lots to do out there.

Take a college class in something, anything, that looks even remotely interesting. This will help get you out of the house.

If a whole semester is more than you want to commit to, then most colleges have one-to-six-week adult education classes in everything from computers to photography to gardening to... well, just about anything. Those classes are pretty cheap too.

Take a basic rider class from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Usually they're around $100.

Join a local bicycle touring club. Once you get past the initial expense of a bicycle you can spend days/weeks of activity with other people for essentially free, especially if you pack your lunch. That kept me lean and outside for a bit over two years during a time when funds were extremely limited.

Not knowing what your interests are I can't suggest much else, but you get the idea.

The point is, get out of the house.

This is an obvious joke.

Health insurance.
Property tax on home
Insurance on home
Maintenance on home
Automobile insurance
Gasoline
Internet connection (obviously)
Telephone
Electric/Gas/Water/Sewer

There is no way you can squeeze all of that in for $500 / month. If he lives in a tent on federal property, he might be able to do it. But I'm guessing that his internet access probably forecloses that possibility.

Thanks for coming, it was a nice laugh you had poking fun at all of us.

Cheers.

Trolls are fun, I'm with Brewer on this one.

At least he is not trashing all the other threads... quite tame if he is a troll...

And HEY... he could be telling the truth...

I have my own house which is paid off too. I don't pay rent. I have three other investments homes which are paid off too. That's where I am getting monthly income from. Net after those expenses(property tax, insurance, and etc) is around $3000. Well $500 bucks is a lot for food and personal expenses. I sometimes don't even use up the $500 after bills and everything. I only spend only $50 bucks for food which I could get $500 worths of groceries. No i'm not a girl. I'm a 30 year old gay guy. If you're interested, I'm available!

Still did not answer the original question.... what do you spend the $500 on:confused:

Ie food $50
insurance $100
utilities $100

etc... etc...

My utilities for the house is about $200 to $300 per month... and I was told recently that I was a 'low user' of electricity (some door to door salesman of the electric company)....

My insurance for cars about $200, for health about $600, etc. etc... as a single person I was able to live off about $1500 to $2500 per month with a paid off house... (according to what I wanted to do).... so you can see.... I am very skeptical about $500

It's not like I am on tight on money. I have the money. I just disciplined myself into investing whatever I have left over each month. I don't spend a lot. It's because I don't like wasting money on useless things that I don't use or need. I don't have the newest gadgets, cars or anything like that. I have gone on dates but a lot of gay guys are very materialistic. When they see the car I drive or the clothes that I wear they run. It's hard finding another gay guy who has the same values and in the same boat as me. One time I took a date to dinner and I used B1G1 meal free, he said I was cheap and laugh at me! I know I have a lot of emotional and personal issues to deal with. Maybe I shouldn't care so much about money. Maybe that's why I can't never be happy with my life. I thought an early retirement will make me happy but it hasn't.
Oh gosh - I just can't bear to spend money! Even if I'm miserable sitting around and not doing anything because, well, extreme frugality is the most important thing in my life. I don't really need to save money, but I do so anyway. No one is as cheap as me so I'll never find a compatible friend or partner because they all loathe my frugal habits...

I can't possibly change how I live my life. I thought retiring early to sit around alone and do nothing would solve all my problems......

This is clearly a straw man troll, y'all

"Having lots to do" is necessary?
Having lots to do - I meant more on the lines of having lots that you "could" do - I didn't me lots that you "had to do" - I was not speaking obligations.

I have lots to do, but usually only get around to 10% of it. But if I wanted to be busier, I easily could. :D

Audrey

Anyone else think we are being OAPed?

It's pretty obvious when his entire life story is nothing more than a satire of this forum . . .

I am the type that is antisocial. Really don't have much friends. Don't go out much. Don't have fancy things. All I know is how to save. I do enjoy shopping at the supermarket. I am happy when I see that I could get $500 in groceries for around $50 bucks each month with coupons clippings and deals, but I am not going to the supermarket everyday!

Well I post here because I have nothing else to do at home. I am just finding myself surfing the web all day long

No kids here. Not looking to have them. They are just a burden. I have 3 investment properties. They are all paid for.

Why are people jealous when you can retire early and they can't.

I vote Troll.

A. Expenses don't add up
B. Investments don't add up -
C. This was done on salary - does not add up
D. This was done through two bubbles, one real estate which he claims is his source of income.
E. To get $36,000 a year in income you have to have almost $1,000,000 in assets (4% SWR), but he is 'not wealthy'
F. Three paid off investment properties, and a house from a 15 year old's salary and part time college job.
G. Student loans paid off
H. While I have heard many reasons not to have kids, "they are a burden' is seldom used. But, hay, I am not a '30 year old gay guy'
I. Several glaring grammatical errors that don't look like typos, and are wrong case and tense for use by a 'College Graduate' (this one is a little more plausible for me, as I too don't proof read all my post)
J. It just sounds like a kid calling and saying "Do you have Prince Albert in a Can"

Interesting Gvilager, who is in the same boat, also has less than 10 post. Might check those IP addresses.

Reactions: W2R
This could be my cousin, except well, she is a she, and she is still working.

She bought a new car with cash when she turned 16. She had never spent a penny of her birthday, Christmas or Babysitting money. She went to college paid for by her parents, got a masters, got a job and inherited a couple of houses so she has a steady income and rental income. Since she never spent any money that wasn't absolutely necessary she had paid off her own condo but the age of 30. She buys all her clothes at Goodwill and keeps her condo way too cold in the winter, too warm in the summer. Being a middle condo, I am guessing that her power bill is practically non-existent. I have gone shopping with her and she would go to 3 or 4 grocery stores using coupons and sales ads and when done might have spent a few dollars. (frankly it is amazing and if I hadn't seen it myself I wouldn't have believed it) It can't imagine how many hours she must spend each week planning her shopping trips but she must enjoy it on some level.

I am certain that she has a 7-figure net worth by now. She is now 39 or maybe 40? and still drives the car she bought at 16. She works only a mile or so from the office she has worked at since she was 24 and walks to work unless it is raining. She steals wifi internet from her neighbor, uses skype for a phone and won't go on a vacation or even a movie. She likes to tell anyone who will listen that she lives on less than $250 per month. Personally, I don't think she is "living" but whatever....

Is he a troll? possibly, but yes living on $500 is do-able.
The only think I wonder about with retiredtoearly is health insurance. But, if healthy, at the age of 30 he might have a very high deductible plan which might cost him $50-$60 month.

Troll ?

Ditto to below:

Then go find a cube farm to slave away in and STFU about it.

People on this board pursue ER to "thrive" not just "survive".

If you do not have a reason to jump out of bed each morning and aggressively enjoy life - then you need to go back to w*rk.

Millions of people need w*rk as their reason for getting out of bed and existing. Sad situation, if you ask me...........

People on this board pursue ER to "thrive" not just "survive".

If you do not have a reason to jump out of bed each morning and aggressively enjoy life - then you need to go back to w*rk.
Completely agree.

A sucessful reirement is not for wussies. It takes a real man (or woman :cool: ) to lay out and execute a plan of what they want to do with the freedom a retiree has.

I won't post another troll picture (for the OP), but I do have a bunch :LOL: ...

I searched for OAP and read some his quirky and engaging posts, but missed any dènouement. Is there a good story here that we short-timers missed?

I can only say what I knew before I became a mod. My assessment at that time was that he had been banned but often returned under fake personas and started troll-ish threads.

Honestly, if his budget is ignoring property taxes, etc (which because he's looking at his home as part of his property investment it seems, isn't really in the $500), with $50 for food, $500 isn't unreasonable. I have about a $30-50 a month electrical bill, and with some HD insurance, it's pretty reasonable. I kind of don't care if he's a troll or not, as I find the thought/problem games interesting the first few times, and it's a particular formulation that I haven't played before. I'm not going to date him, so unless/until continuity is broken, I don't care if he's real.

That said, more ideas for the particular situation:

You enjoy shopping - very cool. Look online for Meetup or something similar, and look at planning a "frugal dinner" or something similar - everyone needs to bring up to $20 worth of food to contribute (make them bring receipts) and as a whole plan and make a multi-course dinner. People get competitive over getting good deals (and let me tell you, you'll probably win, which makes you look good), there is a lot of creativity involved in planning the menu and cooking it, it's a great excuse for interaction, and at least a couple of people will bring good cheap drinks to contribute, so you're not wasting money on booze, and they don't have to spend the time and learning curve to do the sort of creative/coupon shopping you manage to do. Heck - you have multiple rental buildings, so you must have at least a couple of vacant units - be the host! if they are materialistic, at least they will be impressed with your building, if not your clothes, and playing host puts you on a pedestal as well. much easier to find someone when they are trying to catch you.

find some local artists, and set up guerrilla galleries in vacant units you have - one weekend only shows in vacant units, word of mouth only. meet interesting, creative people, heavily biased to gay men, again play host, no cash cost to you, exclusive event where it costs you no cash but makes you look/be generous with something that has limited marginal cost to you, and you might enjoy the art! heck, some of the artists might barter some interesting art work for a limited showing sometime - good way to acquire things that you like. Also, artists are very used to living broke, and can appreciate frugality, but are likely to be able to help you be frugal and "hip" opr fashionable. If you are looking to attract gay men cheaply, you need to be put together, throwing money at it helps, but doing it cheaply and fashionably is better in some circles.

take up online video games - major time sink, some socialization at keyboard remove. probably not going to get you a date though.

write a book! you've managed to accomplish something that a lot of people would kill for. some people might pay for you to tell them your story, whether to copy it or to inspire them, or someone already on that path to convince them that they are not insane. Someone asks what you do, you can tell them you're an author and a arts sponsor. (via having the gallery stuff) that ought to get some attention.

As I said - I don't care it it's a troll, because games are fun. If the OP isn't a troll, hopefully we can help him. Anyone else have good ideas? Rules seem to be: aversion to spending money, semi-social personality with some issues about being judged on a materialistic basis, gay single male, 30, time to spend, reasonably educated, probably enjoys problem solving (coupon shopping "game" success level), and reasonably intelligent.

I seriously dont' know what I enjoy doing. No hobbies at all. Volunteer work, why work for free ? I am the type that is antisocial. Really don't have much friends. Don't go out much. Don't have fancy things. All I know is how to save. I do enjoy shopping at the supermarket. I am happy when I see that I could get $500 in groceries for around $50 bucks each month with coupons clippings and deals, but I am not going to the supermarket everyday!

You can teach me how to get $500 of groceries for $50. I truly mean it. That's one of the lessons I have been wanting to learn early in my ER, as I am frugal as well.

Maybe your problem is not ER. Why would going to work make any difference? You probably didn't enjoy that either or else you wouldn't have given it up.

It seems that you are bored with your life. That's obviously not a good thing. You have the time - keep trying new things (they don't have to cost money) until you find something that interests you. If you don't like doing it for free, charge what you can. Otherwise, you have a very long, boring life in front of you - which is too sad to contemplate.

I wish you all the very best.

Back
Top Bottom