Retired in September and still unsure of Where to rollover my 401K

... I’m wondering who can help me with the administrative aspects of setting up the index funds? Is it as simple as putting a call into Fidelity (assuming I choose their funds)?
If your money is at Fidelity you are not limited to Fido's funds. There are many more options. The books will help you.

But actually doing a buy (or sell) couldn't be simpler. You can do it on their web site with a few clicks or you can telephone and have one of their reps help you. There may be a small charge for using a human instead of a web site but for a long term investor it is negligible, so you may prefer the hand-holding for your initial transactions.

Ref @RetireBy90's comment I don't know why you would not want to just use the accounts you already have, but Fido can advise you on that. I would keep the same accounts so all of my history was in one place but YMMV.

Ref @RetireBy90's comment I don't know why you would not want to just use the accounts you already have, but Fido can advise you on that. I would keep the same accounts so all of my history was in one place but YMMV.

I suggested just as an easy way to keep the old advisor from having any access to the account(s). They should be able to remove the previously granted access but it may be easier.

Since I’m no longer interested in an actively managed portfolio that charges a 1% fee, any advise on where to go for advisory help to make the change to the 3 index fund allocation? My current funds are at Fidelity. The ‘move’ seems so complicated. And of course I hate the thought of hurting my advisors feelings.

@Dot57 - Recently, I re-read Paul Merriman's free books: How to invest series complimentary download | Paul Merriman They have plenty of good information that's relatively easy to digest for newcomers.

Also, I've found jlcollins' Stock Series highly useful, especially for the psychological aspect of making one comfortable with investing: https://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

Once you're done reading and understanding those, you have the major tools you need to invest on your own, while sleeping comfortably at night. Aside from the self-confidence and sleep-at-night factor, the main benefit is that you'll save about 90% of your current investing costs. Is that worth hurting your advisor's feelings? Only you can decide that...

I like Fidelity because they have brick and mortar stores I can walk into and not be on the phone forever. Even if its just a fifteen minute Q and A. Also they gave me some personal attention with reading graphs, and basic questions.

I am full in with Fidelity, although I hold a Schwab account for the international ATM offerings in their checking account.

Back
Top Bottom