Retired Military Vacations

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A friend of DW is the widow of a great guy who was in the army. Purple heart recipient. They were married over 30 years.

Unrelated, years ago, a retired military guy told me about an opportunity for retired military to get real cheap vacations: Things like cabins near the beach for some fraction of the cost of a hotel.

In trying to get this widow out of the house, DW has been researching this online without success. Widow does not do computer research real well. The users of this would be a "girls vacation". Or, the widow and her daughter and grand kids. NOT ME! Question: Does this benefit exist for surviving spouse of retired military? If so, how does one find out more details?

A friend of DW is the widow of a great guy who was in the army. Purple heart recipient. They were married over 30 years.

Unrelated, years ago, a retired military guy told me about an opportunity for retired military to get real cheap vacations: Things like cabins near the beach for some fraction of the cost of a hotel.

In trying to get this widow out of the house, DW has been researching this online without success. Widow does not do computer research real well. The users of this would be a "girls vacation". Or, the widow and her daughter and grand kids. NOT ME! Question: Does this benefit exist for surviving spouse of retired military? If so, how does one find out more details?

I know years ago I stayed in a cabin on the island of Oahu. I think it was called Bellows AFS and also had campgrounds. No idea if it still exists. At the time ( around 1989) it was $25/ night. The Hale Koa hotel was another place that was a full size hotel next to the Hilton on Waikiki Beach. I forget what it cost, but was a big discount over the other hotels. Other than those two I don’t know of any others. I also don’t know if widows can use these.

There are tremendous number of sites available for active and retired military and the spouses. My experience is a spouse has an ID card just like the retired member and can partake of the same benefits.

We go to Florida Keys every year and spend a week at Trumble Point where they have repurposed older housing to vacation housing for active and retired military. They are about $125 per night compared to $300-$400 at a hotel and have 3 bedrooms and full kitchens.

At Solomons Island MD they have a rec center where you can get an old WWII style home for about $125 per night also. 3 small bedrooms, bath and full kitchen.
None of the places we have stayed are hotel quality, you have to clean before you leave and few on-site amenities. For us not a great sacrifice and get to visit great places with a place to retreat to when you don't want the crowds.

Lots and lots of places like this, I'll have to check with DW on what site(s) she searches for these places. She manages our travel. :)

There are lots of little gems but all seem to be managed by the governing base or post. No central listing. Ex lakefront cabins near san antonio. Lighthouse cottages mAnaged by nearby CG base. Key West has several properties. Agree not hotel quality. Very basic but unique settings. Expect polyester sheets and window rattler air. Be impressed if nicer

Edited: not able to add it but goigle best kept secrets military one source and there's a PDF that seems to include ALOT of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom