Retirement abroad?

As for Washington State, I can knit pick or bear hug depending on my mood. I was 26 years old before I realized back east wasn't Yakima. I still root for the Huskies(U of W graduate) and remember logi-beers.

If I spoke a foriegn language - trying to dip my toes by visiting and checking out the local expats might be considered - provided I had a home base stragety if it didn't work.

Re. the great Northwest (Wash, Oregon, BC). I've been
there; never lived there, but both my brother and son
have. They opined that if they moved again
(both in Illinois now) that area would probably be
first on their list. I agree it's awfully pretty. Not an option for us. We need warm and sunny most of the
year.

John Galt

I still root for the Huskies(U of W graduate) and remember logi-beers.

I went to graduate school at UW and learned a lot of the local terms like a "Chinook" and a "geoduck," but what is a logi-beer?

What do you think of climate in Washington?

Hi

Seems like many of you have lived in Washington state; I only visited once to Vancouver, BC, in October; it wasn't too bad. Is rain and overcast pretty bad there? Compared to Dallas, TX in winter or Pennsylvania? Thanks,

What do you think of climate in Washington?

Hi

Seems like many of you have lived in Washington state; I only visited once to Vancouver, BC, in October; it wasn't too bad. Is rain and overcast pretty bad there? Compared to Dallas, TX in winter or Pennsylvania? Thanks,

Circa 1964, at the 45th Street Looking Glass Tavern - they served a glass of Rainer beer containing one shot of Pomeralle Logan Berry Wine - a few of those and longboard shuffleboard turned kind of curvy - at least that's my memory of senior year U of W days. Red beers were never like that when I moved back east to Colorado.

Re: What do you think of climate in Washington?

Is rain and overcast pretty bad there?  Compared to Dallas, TX in winter or Pennsylvania?

Well, I have never been to Pennsylvania in winter, except driving the Pennsylvania Turnpike at Christmas. Washington is definitely nicer than that. As to Dallas in winter, I have spent a number of Christmases there, and Dallas is much, much nicer than Washington that time of year. Ditto for spring until it gets too hot in Dallas.

Lately it does seem that we have have less drizzle, and more hard rains. It is probably just normal variation.

Mikey

I remember Christmas in Dallas. Lovely time of year.
I enjoyed the summer also. 100+ for over a week
and I enjoyed every minute. Got to get back there
soon.

The main generalization that can be made about the climate in the Northwest is that it is cool and almost continuously overcast in winter, and cool and sunny in summer. West of the Cascades, it drizzles when it is overcast, while east of the Cascades it is more likely to snow, but the precipitation is much less.

People west of the Cascades tend to participate in outdoor activities in winter in spite of the drizzle. For example, they play golf all winter. The fairways get so soggy that you can hit a perfect drive and have it bury in the mud in the middle of the fairway.

To address this, I invented a new type of golf club called a "mud wedge." It consists of the blade of a pitching wedge welded onto the head of an 8 pound sledgehammer. It will get a ball out of practically anything, although when you carry it in your golf bag, it makes you sink deeper into the mud.

People also ski all winter in the Cascades. It gets so icy there that you can come down on ice skates. In fact, the highways get a condition called "black ice" that allows a person to skate all of the way home on the pavement. Like having a condo right on the slopes!

Unfortunately, the overcast weather tends to make people west of the Cascades humorless, which is the main reason that I left.

Hey Ted

As a native Washintonian let me rise to the defense of the old sod.

There is no such thing as drizzle - we always called it 'Seattle sunshine'. That other thing is really a UFO which appears at random about twelve days a year.

One should only golf during/after rain gives you enough fairway puddles to skip the golf ball. Al low drive with topspin - waxing the ball also helps.

Sking in the rain gets you in the mood to watch the Mt. Baker slush cup.

Black ice is a good excuse to own
a sport's car - preferably a British ragtop.

As for being humorless - you need to understand how serious things really are - which BTY I don't blame on weather - but possibly too many dirty blond jokes - although Jeff Foxworthy might disagree.

Getting back to "retirement abroad", I would love to do it (somewhere warm and with lots of water). Alas,
the time for this has passed me by. Too many entanglements here in the states and not enough
energy to do the research/make the move. So, no longer an option for me. I find this a bit sad, as I
hate losing options which once were there for me.
On the other hand, cutting down your options can simplify
the decision process. Anyway, we will remain within
"the friendly confines", even if a bit reluctantly.

Yup!

To many entanglements/plus Stuff here.

During working years I hired the same engineer twice over a span of years - after his jobs in Australia. I always wanted to four wheel the Outback - he was a motorcyle guy. His wife convinced him the USA was the place to raise the kids.

Raised on the West coast - Australia/New Zealand always had appeal - never made it. Interestingly we managed okay with just English during our one trip to Germany/Finland in the 80's - but tourist is not the same as living there.

Seems to me(we - me included) kind of picked on Canada's cost of living/affordability recently. I always liked B.C. and the Canadian's going as a tourist over two decades. She on the other hand nixed the Pacific NW climate.

So many of these ER decisions hinge on eliminating
options (which possibilities you don't want to consider). It makes
everything so much simpler. In our case, relocation
outside of the USA was nixed. But, our main home must be warm and sunny
most of the time, thus eliminating a big chunk of the country. We had to be near big water and not in any town (even a small one). Another big piece of real estate off the board.
Conservative political climate would help too, although
this is becoming harder to find and harder still to depend on. Re.
investment options, taking away any form of common stock limits our choices.
Avoiding any situations or deals (work) which might restrict my freewheeling daily schedule is a must.
For me, ER planning/life is probably more about what
to avoid than anything. I kind of have it down to a science now (took a long time). It surely helps stave off the dreaded paralysis by analysis, by crafting a carefully constructed puzzle where you have discarded the pieces that you choose
not to use. That's my metaphor for the day folks :).

John Galt

Re: How about Canada, BC, Kelowna?

Random thoghts on Canada, etc:

We like BC. It has a lot of coastline, rivers and mountains. We like living on the coast. On the mainland east of Vancouver Island it is said that the weather is very nice. Mostly BC is cold and wet and overcast, though. Still, there are places up the Fraser River that are the warmest and driest in Canada. We went river rafting there a couple of years ago and there is actually cactus growing there. There is a lot of variety.

We have read about Yankees who keep a house on the coast in BC and one in the US sunbelt or wherever and only spend part of the year in Canada, thus avoiding Canadian taxes. This is a nice idea if you can manage it.

Negatives are high taxes and limited access to health care when needed. They ration it up there. Vancouver and surrounding areas are very crowded and expensive. Gas is very expensive. While the murder rate is fairly low up there, I have the impression that other crime rates are very high and that drug abuse is, too. I don't think the police do a very good job in general, either, but it may be more of a reflection on the legal system than on the police men and women.

There are a lot of normal, thoughtful, pleasant Canadians, but there are some real wackos, too, different from our wackos.

Do not be fooled that you will be comfortable in Canada just because they speak English like we do. It is a very different culture, very liberal, with a disturbing lack of concern for personal responsibility. There is not much sense of unity or common cause. There are tons of special interests who will not compromise. Everyone, even criminals in prison, is very articulate and can say the most outrageous self-serving foolishness using correct words and complete sentences. Kind of like listening to a statement from Microsoft.

When I occasionally dispair about something in the US, I listen to Canadian radio and feel a lot better.

I am more comfortable with the people of Alberta than BC. The taxes are lower there, too. Alberta still has a strained health care system, though.

I have the distinct impression that more Canadians are coming south than Yankees going north.

Having said all that, I am actively looking for work in Canada at the moment because that is the only place in North America an engineer like me can find work at the moment.

Ed

I've spent some time in Canada (both business
and pleasure). Frankly, at this stage of my life
about the only aspect of life there with any appeal
at all is the wilderness available and low population density generally. Anyway,
the weather alone rules it out for us. We are pretty well
set on the Dallas area now and I am still uncertain
if even that is far enough south for us.

John Galt

Now that I've become an official old phart(over 55 with pension) I attend a few informal social functions. Talking with an English tourist - he's retired in Portugal - teaches sailing part time, and house sits an apartment. Loves the climate. The truly cheap English 'Holiday' in Morocco!

Now that I've become an official old phart(over 55 with pension) I attend a few informal social functions. Talking with an English tourist - he's retired in Portugal - teaches sailing part time, and house sits an apartment. Loves the climate. The truly cheap English 'Holiday' in Morocco!

This looks interesting, but I really can't tell what you are saying. You attended a social function (near NO, where you live?) and met an Englishman who is enjoying a Moroccan Holiday, though he lives in Portugal and apparently is currently in Louisiana? And which climate does he love? It's great to have you out gathering information for us. Now please help me understand it! BTW, how about them Cougs!!!?

Mikey

This looks interesting, but I really can't tell what you are saying. You attended a social function (near NO, where you live?) and met an Englishman who is enjoying a Moroccan Holiday, though he lives in Portugal and apparently is currently in Louisiana? And which climate does he love? It's great to have you out gathering information for us. Now please help me understand it! BTW, how about them Cougs!!!?

Mikey

O.K. Mikey

The Englishman lived in and liked the Portugal climate. Costs are even lower(than Portugal) to vacation in North Africa - he thought Morocco was the most popular destination. He was visiting someone/passing thru N.O.

I went with a guy from my old company(ER wannable-sailor) - coffee and dognuts for retiree's/semi retired interested in sailboats near a boatyard - the one in the 1973 James Bond movie - outside Slidell.

The cougar's were our rivals(U of W) but I can cheer for them - at least they're not Oregon State.

Unclemick, thank you!

My son is a senior at UW now, but I'm a Coug. Can you imagine a better team, given that they have to recruit in competition with USC, UCLA , Stanford, Cal, and UW? I mean you are a high school star in Pasadena, and you are going to move to Pullman?

Mikey

Good coaches and good recruiting program. Which brings me to Ryderwood, Seattle, and Costa Rica - all of which have tryed to recruit retiree's - I haven't seen any ad's in recent year's - but during difficult economic times in prior decades you would see ad's enticing retiree's(bring your pension check).

Which brings me to Ryderwood, Seattle, and Costa Rica - all of which have tryed to recruit retiree's -

I spent a couple weeks in Costa Rica in the mid 70's. Beautiful country, but to me at least not as lively as many Latin nations. They had a program called "pensionista" where retirees or ER's who passed their fairly simple means test were allowed a lot of duty free imports, tax breaks, etc. I met some of the American expats who had taken advantage of the program. It seemed that many of them were hucksters- maybe had been run out of real estate or some such up here, and were trying to promote a boom in their new locale. Some others seemed lost and depressed. I think the happiest person I met was an American merchant seaman who had married a local woman and had a small coffee finca as a hobby business. He kept in touch with his union and used shortwave a lot, and he seemed happy. It was clear that he would just as soon not have to leave his wife behind for long periods, equally clear that he looked forward to being at sea and keeping his career alive, so he had the means to get out of Costa Rica should he want to go.

Mikey

Back
Top Bottom