Retiring Overseas

I'd rather leave the U.S. than work until the day I die in the U.S.

Hey etako...........That is certainly one of the most
straightforward posts ever. Excellent! I would leave
the USA in a heartbeat, if I was assured of ER
security. My problem is that (although I don't
see any place better) I am frustrated with the
direction we are headed. Frankly, I don't see where
I could go to make things better.

John Galt

I'm intrigued by the thought of living in Thailand part of the year. We'd like to plan a trip to Thailand and get acquianted with the place.

Can anyone recommend some places to visit in Thailand? I'm specifically looking for places that would be nice places to visit as an ER with two small kids. We are partial to places with low pollution and temperate weather. We are considering home schooling the kids so we could travel around the world and still meet their school requirements.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,
Your going to love Thailand. I have spent much time there the last four years. My suggestion is Chiang Mai. Less hectic and cleaner air than Bangkok, but has everything Bangkok has to offer, IMO. Check my website as I have many stories information and pictures from that area.

Billy
Website www.geocities.com/ba264

Billy: Where are you guys now? How has the declining dollar affectied your travel planning and trips abroard?

SWR

Currently,
We are both in the US. My wife left yesterday for a trip to her sisters in another state. Regarding the Dollar's fall, it has not really played very much into the equation. I mean that if you spend little as we do, IMO it doesn't make much sense to "worry" about it. If I was buying a house or something I would consider it. Last May when we were in Thailand I think the Baht was 39, now it's 41+. Not that big of a deal.

We were in Mexico (93 I think) when the Peso was cut in half. Now that was fun. Everything half price.

Billy,
Website www.geocities.com/ba264

My suggestion is Chiang Mai. Less hectic and cleaner air than Bangkok, but has everything Bangkok has to offer, IMO. Check my website as I have many stories information and pictures from that area.

Billy
Website  www.geocities.com/ba264

Billy, thanks. I'll pull out my Atlas and take a look tonight. I did a quick browse of your web site. You inspired me. I'm 37 and thinking of taking some time off (or being a "true" ER) in the next year or two. It makes me nervous but know that life only gives you one chance.

Back
Top Bottom