Returning - Ex Military

airbornesapper

Dryer sheet aficionado
Tried to post in my old thread... but its apparently exceeded its shelf like.... not reading too much into that...although there may be a moral somewhere...

Here is what I wrote....

Over 9 years since my last post.... never forgot about this site or the wealth of knowledge within. I mentioned in Jan 2010, that I was looking at retiring from active duty ( Airborne-EOD). I was 48, with 32 years service... yep joined at 16.

A couple months after my last post... I decided that I would retire bought a nearly new 31ft Motorhome... had a couple nice trips.... then I deployed and picked up a virus (unknown) that gave me something called meningoencephalitis....it nearly killed me. After a period of rehab...I decided not to leave the service... and stayed till Sep 17. From 2011 to 2017.... I was hardly home....but the bank balance was boosted. And I ended up with 1.5million Air Canada (star alliance) points. And 500,000 AMEX points...Sold the motorhome after about 8 months of ownership... it was a costly 2500km.

New cars came Along in 2013 (an BMW X6M) and in 2015 replaced the wife’s vehicle with a new X3.... with my vehicle came speeding tickets...But not for a while now...

Changed the house... moving to a new golf course community in Eastern Canada (golf is May to Oct).

Found the last year quite hard....did one consulting job... and turned down a position that paid extremely well... And others that paid well.... All required international travel.

Have made 2 trips to the Hawaiian Islands and two to the UK....and a nice road trip from NB to DC. I think I can say, I won’t be going back to work now. We also became grandparents to identical twin boys.

We have no bills....and I haven’t seen much difference in our after tax income....

Taking it Day by Day - No plans per say.... except to visit family and friends around the globe... traveling for play and not work...

Thanks to all that post here.... it’s a great resource.

Yours aye, airbornesapper...

Last edited:
Welcome back. I'm happy hear that things are working out for you.

Back
Top Bottom