Rewiring Half-Hot Outlet with no Dedicated Hot Line

I think Al's best option is to bypass the existing GD switch to make the outlet in the base cabinet live and then wire in a separate switch for the GD inside the base cabinet since he says the GD is only used infrequently.

That seems to me a better alternative than the wireless switch and the hazards it could create.

I think Al's best option is to bypass the existing GD switch to make the outlet in the base cabinet live and then wire in a separate switch for the GD inside the base cabinet since he says the GD is only used infrequently.

That seems to me a better alternative than the wireless switch and the hazards it could create.

+1
That is what I was thinking but did not write. I would remove the switch at the old location and use wire nuts/cover plate in its place.
To make it safe/code you would need to use a box extension and conduit or surface shield for the switch run.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking, too, and did write. :D
oops :facepalm:
OK, samclem gets the blue ribbon. :)
One idea to make the new switch more convenient would be to mount it inside a tip-out panel right below the counter. The hardware to turn the existing panel to tip-out is readily available.

Last edited:
I think I'll just take out the GD altogether. I realized that having it there but not using it is not the same as not having it there.

For example, if I rinse out a can of tuna fish, the tiny fish particles will just sit inside the GD. Even with a strainer that will happen to some extent. Without a GD, they'd go down to the P-Trap, and probably get rinsed out soon enough.

You just like taking the easy way out. :D

BTW, great to see you posting again. Keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom