Ridiculous Marketing Puffery

Qs Laptop

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Submitted for your approval.

"Award Winning Donuts"

Ya, sure.

Award-Winning-Donuts-720.jpg

It is because 80% of all folks are so gullible and easy to hoodwink into buying anything!
Go figure, buyer beware.

Duh! "Oh it won an award, it must be good, I thing I should buy some. Doh Di Doh Di Doh!

I only buy "World Famous" doughnuts! How good can they be without the "ugh"?

"Award Winning Doughnuts"

Ya, sure.

View attachment 47769

There's a chain donut shop near me that features "hand forged" doughnuts. They have a picture of a beefy man holding a huge heavy hammer. He is hitting an iron anvil with the hammer. The anvil appears to have a doughnut on it.

Please tell me why I would want a doughnut that is smashed on an anvil. :eek:

I need to see some details. Who awarded this "award"? What was the criteria for winning an award? How many entries were there? One? Who were the judges and how were they paid?

Suspicions abound. The public has a right to KNOW!

I didn’t see any with sprinkles. Not a good sign.

I've always questioned those "Made fresh daily" slogans. Fine, but when do you serve them?

And is there any other way to make them than "fresh"? How do you make "day old bread"?

-ERD50

"Award Winning Donuts"

Ya, sure.

That's weak. Buddy the Elf found the Worlds Best Cup of Coffee in NYC. That's marketing.

If the donuts are good I would give them an award myself :)

Zooming in on the picture and looking at what is revealed in the reflections, and the writing on the boxes, this looks like a Megastore. Trying to figure out which one provides "Bakery Sweet" boxes :).

I've always questioned those "Made fresh daily" slogans. Fine, but when do you serve them?

And is there any other way to make them than "fresh"? How do you make "day old bread"?

-ERD50

You make day old bread yesterday.:)

Why do you say puffery?

What is said COULD be true... they might have won an award and do make donuts daily....

Just for people around here... Shipleys makes theirs daily and if you get there early enough you can have some hot out of the fryer.... we are talking mouth watering good!!! I have even bought after 10AM and they were still warm...

I come across plenty of "World Famous" stuff that I never heard of.

You make day old bread yesterday.:)

When I was a little boy there was a bakery that sold day old donuts for half price. It was a great day when I had a nickel in my pocket.

Cheers!

Not exactly puffery, but the discussion of "made fresh daily" and dumb signage reminded me of this:

Attachments

• antique-tables-made-daily.jpg
    antique-tables-made-daily.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6
Virtually every car dealer in our area advertises as being "Award Winning" it is a marketing ploy, that seems to work. AC Service/Sales companies to the same.

A short walk from our condo is a Mary Lee's donut shop, a local franchise. Donuts are usually hot and melt in your mouth good. And I feel better walking there rather than driving. At least I'm burning off a few of the calories.

Why do you say puffery?

What is said COULD be true... they might have won an award and do make donuts daily....

Definition of puffery: exaggerated commendation especially for promotional purposes

"Award Winning" would be the puffery component.

Seems to fit the bill.

Who has a donut making contest and gives out awards? Which particular donut won the award? Who sponsored the contest? etc. etc.

Definition of puffery: exaggerated commendation especially for promotional purposes

"Award Winning" would be the puffery component.

Seems to fit the bill.

Who has a donut making contest and gives out awards? Which particular donut won the award? Who sponsored the contest? etc. etc.

BUT, BUT.... it could be true... they have 'the best of' contests all the time... best BBQ, best Mexican, best Chinese... so I am sure there is the best donut...

https://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/photos/best-doughnuts-houston

Now, this is bogus as they do not have Shipley's...

"Award winning" is so generic and vague that practically anyone could use it and not technically be lying. I think it's pretty easy these days to simply "purchase" awards online, or pay to have someone write a glowing review of your product on their blog.

Back
Top Bottom