Ridiculous Marketing Puffery

This thread reminds me of one of my favorites:

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 27
Then there are Bob And Brad, often say the are "The most famous physical therapists on the Internet, IN OUR OPINION."

Getting the weasel words right keeps people out of trouble.

To me it looks like someone named "Award Winning" may have made some fresh donuts and other assorted baked goods. Apparently they do it daily.

The one that gets me is "The Official Provider of XYZ for the ABC sports team". Are sports fans that shallow? All it means is that XYZ has PAID the sports team for the right to say that, and as a result can put their prices up. A good reason NOT to buy from a sponsored vendor IMHO.

Haha, around here almost every business is the "official" whatever for the team.

The one that gets me is "The Official Provider of XYZ for the ABC sports team". Are sports fans that shallow? All it means is that XYZ has PAID the sports team for the right to say that, and as a result can put their prices up. A good reason NOT to buy from a sponsored vendor IMHO.

It is not that they can make the statement, but that they can put their logo somewhere inside the stadium... most advertising IMO is just being seen...

I've always questioned those "Made fresh daily" slogans. Fine, but when do you serve them?

And is there any other way to make them than "fresh"? How do you make "day old bread"?

-ERD50

There’s a farmers market near us well known for their pies. They advertise that they are “baked on site”. That’s true, but they don’t make the pies. They are shipped in frozen from the factory and then baked there.

The one that gets me is "The Official Provider of XYZ for the ABC sports team". Are sports fans that shallow?

Yup. And movie fans. Does anyone really believe that their favorite celebrity (sports, movies or whatever) believes so strongly in the product that they'll go on TV and talk about, or allow their name to be used on, a product?

No, it's just a way to make people feel "familiar" with a brand. For whatever reason we (humans) like any brand we've seen or heard a lot, and are happy to pay more for that.

Yup. And movie fans. Does anyone really believe that their favorite celebrity (sports, movies or whatever) believes so strongly in the product that they'll go on TV and talk about, or allow their name to be used on, a product?

No, it's just a way to make people feel "familiar" with a brand. For whatever reason we (humans) like any brand we've seen or heard a lot, and are happy to pay more for that.

And the halo effect, after all if Tom Selleck approves of it , it must be good . :facepalm: (Can't be he was paid $$$ to say it :confused: )

... For whatever reason we (humans) like any brand we've seen or heard a lot, and are happy to pay more for that.
I think it's more fundamental than that. Evolution has wired humans to be tribal. We desperately want to belong to as many tribes as possible. There are religious tribes, national tribes, sports tribes, tribes that identify by symbols on clothing and shoes, tribes following certain entertainers, that involve certain behaviors and hobbles, that involve buying certain brands (Ford/Chevy for example) ... Once you understand this you will see tribes and tribal symbols everywhere you look.

Beginning in prehistory, membership in tribes provided us with protection from enemies, care when we were wounded or ill, protection for our families if we were killed, ... Individuals who did not belong to tribes had short lifetimes that prevented them from contributing to the future gene pool. They were simply weeded out.

Back
Top Bottom