RIP Al Kaline

candrew

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Like so many kids born and raised in Detroit, Al Kaline was one of my sports heroes. In a testament to Kaline's greatness, they even named a battery after him. ;)

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...ch-albom-al-kaline-detroit-tigers/2959654001/

Al Kaline, who in a long and unique Detroit Tigers lifetime grew from youthful batting champion to Hall of Famer to distinguished elder statesman, died Monday afternoon at his home in Bloomfield Hills. He was 85.

In 22 seasons with the Tigers, most of them as a marvelous right fielder, Kaline played in more games and hit more homers than anyone else in club history, and he compiled a batting résumée second only to Ty Cobb’s.

A man who won a batting title at age 20, who made 18 All-Star teams, who played until he was 39, who inspired the 1968 Tigers to that classic World Series title, who collected over 3,000 hits, who still holds the franchise record for home runs (399) and who once threw out three baserunners in three straight innings — from right field!

This is a man who got hitting tips from Ted Williams, who smacked a hit off Satchel Paige, who once went into an auto parts business with Gordie Howe, and who made the Hall of Fame on the first ballot.

I was lucky enough to watch Al Kaline play in the World Series game 6 in St Louis. They pummeled the Cardinals that day 13-1 and Al was 3-4 with 4 RBIs.
I am a Cardinal fan, but was impressed with Al's ability to hit and field. He
hit a home run that game off Steve Carlton. My mother was a pilot and used
to fly an umpire to different games in the Midwest. He gave her the tickets that got me to the world series that year. RIP Al..

I was lucky enough to watch Al Kaline play in the World Series game 6 in St Louis. They pummeled the Cardinals that day 13-1 and Al was 3-4 with 4 RBIs.
I am a Cardinal fan, but was impressed with Al's ability to hit and field. He
hit a home run that game off Steve Carlton. My mother was a pilot and used
to fly an umpire to different games in the Midwest. He gave her the tickets that got me to the world series that year. RIP Al..

What an exciting series that was in '68. The Tigers won game 7 on my birthday.

Kaline had a beautiful stroke for a right-handed batter. He was every bit as good a right fielder as his National League counterpart, Roberto Clemente.

Anyone here remember using wood bats when you were a kid ? My favorite was an Al Kaline 32"

I've lived near Detroit all my life. In 1968 when the Tigers won the World Series, I remember the excitement eventhough I was only a kid. People litterly ran out into the streets when the last out happened and a party ensued. It was wild. Fast forward about 40 years and I got to meet Al Kaline at a golf outing. He was very nice, went around and talked to everyone and signed a few balls. He was a class act - RIP.

33319-albums249-picture2149.jpg

I got to meet Al Kaline at a golf outing. He was very nice, went around and talked to everyone and signed a few balls. He was a class act - RIP.

When Kaline signed with the Tigers as a rookie, he used his signing bonus to pay off his parent's mortgage.

When I lived and worked in Detroit between 1973 and 1976, I got to see him play at Tiger Stadium which was near downtown. Sad to hear the bad news. :(

I was born in Detroit in the early ‘50’s and lived there until my family moved to the Deep South in 1964. I can remember going to Tiger Stadium and being excited about seeing Kaline in person. He stands out in my memory as the best player and the one that every kid wanted to be like. RIP.

When I played stickball as a kid, we used to pretend to be famous major leaguers. Al was frequently claimed by myself as well as other neighborhood kids when batting.

Growing up in an NL city I never got to see him play but I knew of him from faithfully reading the Sporting News each week. Anyone who made 18 All-Star teams and plays 22 seasons with a .297 career average is a no-quibble Hall-of-Famer. I had to look it up but he had 10 seasons finishing in the AL top 10 for average - three times runner-up and one title. He didn't have Mantle's power but he had a better arm. A true superstar.

Growing up in an NL city I never got to see him play but I knew of him from faithfully reading the Sporting News each week. Anyone who made 18 All-Star teams and plays 22 seasons with a .297 career average is a no-quibble Hall-of-Famer. I had to look it up but he had 10 seasons finishing in the AL top 10 for average - three times runner-up and one title. He didn't have Mantle's power but he had a better arm. A true superstar.

+ 10 Gold Gloves and 170 career outfield assists. Kaline was one of the best outfielders to ever play the game.

Grew up in Detroit. Got to see him many times. Like most of my friends, we all wanted to be him.

I did not know he went into business with Gordy Howe. Add Joe Louis and a few others and you are beginning to create the all time great Detroit athletes list.

Growing up on the Canadian side of the Ontario-Michigan border, and before Canada had a team (Montreal got the Expos in 1969), the Tigers were my team. Listening to Ernie Harwell and Ray Lane on WJR. The World Series team was an amazing one. I attended Tiger stadium a few times through the years and in the early 70s one of my prized possessions was an Al Kaline autographed bat. RIP Mr. Kaline. Thanks for the fond memories.

Back
Top Bottom