RIP - Gordie Howe

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Another sports legend lost. RIP Mr. Hockey.

DETROIT - The legendary Detroit Red Wings player Gordie Howe has died. He was 88.

Red Wings mourn loss of Gordie Howe
Gordie Howe dies, mournful tweets pour out
Ted Lindsay: Gordie Howe is 'kindest hockey player who ever played'
Howe played more than 1,700 games in the NHL and scored more than 800 goals -- only Wayne Gretzky has more. He is widely known simply as "Mr. Hockey."

In Detroit, he is a legend. He won the Stanley Cup with the Red Wings four times, won six Hart Trophies as the league's most valuable player, and won six Art Ross Trophies as the leading scorer during his time with Detroit between 1946 and 1971.

Hockey legend Gordie Howe dies at age 88

I didn't realize he was that old. He was good one, RIP Gordie!

He was nearly that old when he finished playing! Kindest? I thought he was known for the Gordie Howe hat trick--a goal, an assist, and a fight. But maybe other than his propensity for using elbows and fighting he was very kind.

I hadn't heard the news and was listening to a sports radio station that fades in and out depending on where I'm driving. Some guy was talking about the two greatest hockey players ever--Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr. I'm thinking, c'mon, what about Gretzky? The guy talks a little more, and the host thanks him, Wayne Gretzky, for talking with him. So I guess it's ok if he says it too. The host went on to say that Gretzky was the greatest scorer, but Howe and Orr excelled at both ends of the ice. I remember both from their playing days but really only know of them by rep and stories.

I didn't realize he was that old. He was good one, RIP Gordie!

Time flies. I didn't realize he was that old either. Being from the south, hockey wasn't that popular here when I was young. But he was one of those you knew even though you didn't keep up with the sport.

oh man - he's my Dad's age

when I was in grade school my Dad and I saw him play a few times in Houston when he played for the aeros

Some outside of the Detroit area might not know it, but the new international bridge that is being planned between Detroit and Windsor is named for Gordie Howe. A nice tribute, as he is a hero in both nations.

I grew up in Detroit so I got to see him play a few times a year. He attended my Bar Mitzvah party. (Well we had the party at the Red Wing game and he played as usual. I'm allowed to imagine). What a talent!

I did not become a big hockey fan until the past 15 years. I imagine not living in a hockey area growing up and unable to follow a puck on a 19 in. standard tube screen also contributed to that. But I certainly understand his significance as hockey royalty and ambassador for the game.
My only recollection of him as a player was playing for Hartford and being 50 years old. Personally I think that is the most incredible accomplishment of his career...the longevity...Hockey is played by real men. The beating a body takes in its 20s can recover instantly. Can you imagine how a 50 year old body recovers from nightly hits and blows?
Favre and Elway both retired around 40 give or take... And they both remarked they could have continued playing the game for many more years except for one reason... The body just couldn't take the pain from the hits anymore. And they were very tough guys, also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom