RIP David Crosby

RIP - loved The Byrds, CSN, and Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. During the Vietnam era they helped unite the Anti-War movement. He will be missed.

Last edited:
The song I've always felt best showcased David Crosby's singular talent for harmony is "Find the Cost of Freedom". Nobody else could blend that high part in like him.

Was listening to a podcast interview of Jackson Browne last night. Crosby was the one guy from the past he didn't keep in touch with.

Whatever, DC had a unique voice and vision. Somehow he made it to 81!

OMG, David Crosby, too? He was amazing, and seemingly immortal and such talent.

Seems like every day it's another (or another dozen) of the greatest musicians and other people to ever have lived. :(

This makes me sad. I saw Crosby/Nash perform back in the late 70's at the Concord Pavilion. Their harmony was something.

When I lived in Denver CS&N was one of the groups that I finally got to see in 2008. Great music.

The song I've always felt best showcased David Crosby's singular talent for harmony is "Find the Cost of Freedom". Nobody else could blend that high part in like him.

One of our favorites, and our daughter's, too. When she was around 12 months old, she would bounce up and down, and try to sing along. I'll have to dig up the video :)

We saw CSN in 97, great show, small venue. They were amazing.

My wife was a bigger fan of CSNY when we met in 83. She always brought the classy music to our relationship :LOL:

Yes sad. It is kind of amazing he made it to 81 though given all his substance abuse. Despite their legendary disagreements, Graham Nash had some very good things to say about David.

CSN&Y was definitely one of my favorite bands. We saw them a few times and then we saw David Crosby by himself when he was up there in age. I read one of his memoirs and I am also surprised that he made it to 81.

Thanks for all the great music, David and RIP.

I'd choose "Helplessly Hoping" for absolutely amazing close harmony. Sometimes, I play it three times and sing along with each of them.

Seems like every day it's another (or another dozen) of the greatest musicians and other people to ever have lived. :(
Too true.

I keep mentally changing the title of that classic Four Aces song to, "Those Funeral Bells are Breaking Up That Old Gang of Mine".

An incredible poet with an amazing voice. So many memorable songs. Thank you. RIP.

I saw him with Stills and Nash in concert at the Oakland Coliseum back in the 90s, I think.
It was a huge concert, which I usually avoid, in the nosebleed seats, but well worth it.

It was right after the news came out that he’d fathered Melissa Etheridge’s kids.

After a big round of applause at one point, he spread his arms wide to the huge audience and said something like, “I’d like to make babies for all of you!”

He packed a lot into his 81 years.

I might be mistaken but I seem to recall the David Crosby song “Long Time Gone” leading the film Woodstock. Very appropriate especially for that time period. Seeing and hearing it in (what seemed to me) a big movie theater setting was a thrill; you knew you were about to see and hear something special.

I think we also saw CSNY in Chicago 1974 but my memory on that is a bit hazy (I wonder why…)

I might be mistaken but I seem to recall the David Crosby song “Long Time Gone” leading the film Woodstock. Very appropriate especially for that time period. Seeing and hearing it in (what seemed to me) a big movie theater setting was a thrill; you knew you were about to see and hear something special.

I think we also saw CSNY in Chicago 1974 but my memory on that is a bit hazy (I wonder why…)

‘Hazy”—just like the air in the Coliseum. Ugh.

Another one of the great musicians from the 60's and 70's era that DW and I got to see a several times with CSN.
We also saw him later on when he reunited with a long lost son. They toured as CPR.
Always a great voice and incredible harmonies with Graham and Stephen. Will be missed.
Agree with Gumby. If you weren't that familiar with them go listen to Helplessly Hoping for incredible harmonies.

One of my favorites that brings back so many memories...

Back
Top Bottom