RIP:Famous People Die in Threes

Humans are pattern-seeking animals. A good thing: that's how we got to be where we are.

But I think this particular thing is likely a matter of people dying near the end of the year. You always see the obituary column of the paper get very full around the end of December, as those who are already in bad shape try (maybe subconsciously) to make it past that milestone. Some do, most don't.

make it to the end of the year? i think they try to make it to the end of the week since you always see the obituary column of the paper full on sundays.

Professionally I've been exposed to some real statistical research "on threes." There's really nothing to it statistically. But "black swans" are far more common than they should be as outliers.

To me the most famous group death was Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both dying in separate places on the same day. That day was July 4.

James Monroe died a few years later on July 4.

----

I've noticed a trend lately: celebrities burning out and dying in their 50s. This compares to the incredibly long list of celebrity burn out deaths at 27 (Cobain, Hendrix, Joplin, Winehouse, Morrison and more).

It is sad to say "the 50s are the new 27", but it kind of is true. Prince, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, George Michael and more.

DW has often noted the 3's.

Back
Top Bottom