RIP Greg Allman

Hard life ground him down, out at 69. Cryin' shame. Lucky to have seen him a few times over the years.

Wolf's A' Howlin'

Last edited:
"Crossroads, will you ever let him go? Lord, Lord.
Or will you hide the dead man's ghost?
Or will he lie, beneath the clay?
Or will his spirit float away?
But, I know that he won't stay,
Without Melissa.
Yes, I know that he won't stay, yeah,
Without Melissa.
Lord, Lord, it's all the same. "

Listening to him on the deck right now....Can't believe more haven't chimed in!

I saw the Alman brothers in the 1975 in St. Louis. They seemed to be just going through the motions.. when they broke up the next year that may have explained that performance. after they broke up I never cared for any of greg Allman's individual work. Especially after all the Cher hoopla. I'll glad he lived as long as he did, though. He was fairly hard on his body.

Sad to see another icon go.

Think he had a good run considering the punishment he dealt himself.

Musically, they peaked with Duane IMO and everything after that was an attempt to recapture the magic or milking the legacy. Think there was some of the former and a lot of the latter.

I always liked his music. He had a lot of tragedy in his life, starting with his father being murdered. RIP...

Wow, thank you for the youtube music. I was 13-14 and went over to my best friends house and his sister gave him the album "Eat A Peach" We listened to the whole thing and I was loving it, what great memory. Alway wished I could see him live but never made it. I must go looking for my CD I know I had it.

Wow, thank you for the youtube music. I was 13-14 and went over to my best friends house and his sister gave him the album "Eat A Peach" We listened to the whole thing and I was loving it, what great memory. Alway wished I could see him live but never made it. I must go looking for my CD I know I had it.

Yeah, Eat a Peach is one of my all time favorite albums, but Midnight Rider was Greg at his best, IMHO.

Bless You, Gregg. You put forth some good music. Can't sing the Blues like you did, unless you've lived the Life.

And Bless all the Roadies who carried that Hammond B-3 and Leslie Speaker to gigs all over the globe.

RIP. What a great voice ! When Duane ( a top 5 guitarist all time, imho) was alive, ABB were a phenomenal band. And Dickey Betts was a damn good guitarist. Some of Eat a Peach was done without Duane and Brothers and Sisters was pretty much all Dicky on guitar.

ABB did a great job of mixing blues, rock and country (and a little jazz) into their music.

I was never a real fan of Greg, but worshiped Duane. I was blessed to see the band at Winterland in SF,1971 just 19 days before Duane's moving on. Greg we did enjoy the ride RIP.

I was never a real fan of Greg, but worshiped Duane. I was blessed to see the band at Winterland in SF,1971 just 19 days before Duane's moving on. Greg we did enjoy the ride RIP.

That must have been a great show! I saw them once in the early 2000s. While I really enjoyed the concert can't compare to seeing them with both Duane and Dicky.

He's been run down and lied to and isn't tied to the whipping post, no more.

RIP, love me some AB music.

I went to a concert back in 1970 in Atlanta where they were the lead off band to the headliner band Smith. Needless to say, the crowd did not want the ABB to give up the stage to Smith !

Never saw the original line-up of ABB; not sure how I missed them, as I went to a lot of concerts in 1970-71. My first exposure was Eat a Peach, on eight track, in spring of '72, by which time Duane Allman was already gone...

Though I didn't know anyone in the band, I'm sure I couldn't have been more that a couple of degrees away, in Kevin Bacon terms... Pretty much every guitarist and band in the southern Indiana area played a number of ABB tunes, as well as songs from the southern rock onslaught that followed. A few of the aforementioned guitarists could have jumped on stage with them, and never missed a beat. And though none of my musician buddies ever made it to the big time, a few made it high enough, pun intended, to be on the marquis as warm-up acts.

As well, I lived in Atlanta in '74, across the street from Piedmont Park, wherein during the early days, the Brothers played free gigs, and not far from the Fox Theater, another old stomping ground. So it felt like the ghost of Duane was still floating around the place. Of course, in some ways, the deaths of Duane, and Berry Oakley, froze the band in time. Certainly, I lost interest over time, at least in their studio work, though I still managed to see the band live five or six times, plus a Gregg Allman Band show in there somewhere.

Anywho, that's a long-winded way of saying that the ABB, particularly the early stuff, was a major part of the soundtrack of my existence. The first time I saw them perform live was that year in Atlanta, at the Georgia Jam, at the old Atlanta baseball stadium. The line-up included Grinder Switch, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and The Marshall Tucker Band. Right after Marshall Tucker's set, it rained for two hours, during which time the Brothers must have been doing some serious partying. When the rain stopped, the ABB came on, with the bass player from Grinder Switch in place of Lamar Williams, who was back stage "sobering up". And Gregg was barely able to sit up straight. Nevertheless, turned out to be a pretty good show, mostly salvaged by Dickey Betts and Chuck Leavell.

Fast forward to 1993, the last time I saw the band. Dicky Betts was in rehab, or somesuch, so Jack Pearson sat in with the band. Warren Haynes was the other guitarist. Such was/is the life of many a "rock star"...

RIP...

Gregg was interviewed for the documentary "Muscle Shoals". I've watched it a few times and am always touched by the way Gregg talked about Duane-and that was 40+ years after Duane's death.

Highly recommend it for anyone who is a fan of music from that era.

Back
Top Bottom