RIP - Naomi Judd

It’s irresponsible to say her doctor has some explaining to do based on your anecdotal experience. Patients have varying responses to anti-depressants and she may have exhausted all options including ECT, etc. It is quite tragic and a good example how mental illness doesn’t respect the typically sought after predictors of happiness such as wealth/support/success.

+1 I know first hand someone who suffers with depression and has suffered all their life with it. They’ve tried many many medications including ketamine and they only dull the depression temporarily but it then rages back. It’s very very difficult to treat and combined with a chronic disease, it’s even worse.

Apparently doctors are now routinely screening for suicidal ideation. My recent appointments with PCP included such a test. I'm not sure how effective such tests are in predicting suicide but I would think anyone with such feelings would be offered treatment. But just like cancer and heart disease, not all treatment is successful. I'm sure it's difficult for those who've never suffered depression to understand it. I feel sorry for the family as I'm sure they feel some (misplaced in my opinion) guilt. YMMV

I wonder if the induction to the Hall of Fame was too much for her to handle...too much pressure, not feeling worthy. Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom