RIP - Singer Meat Loaf has Passed at 74

I wasn’t a big fan but whenever I heard his song “I’d do anything for Love” (But I won’t do that) it always brought a smile to my face.

I was a fan. I definitely had a smile on my face when listening to that song.

RIP, Meatloaf.

Great video too! He really had a presence.

The video was directed by famous movie director Michael Bay (before his big movies).

Bay also produced two other Meat Loaf videos, including "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through" which had a young Angela Jolie in it.

Oddly, I watched a youtube documentary on "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" just two nights ago.

Outside of that, I didn't really know his music. I was aware he had a following, and I guess I "know of" "Bat out of Hell". I'll have to give it a listen.

RIP

-ERD50

Mostly couldn't care less about pop culture people...but this one bums me out. Another tortured, brilliant person gone.

His music was an awesome blend of romance, insight & wit. The double entendres are fantastic.

Bummer.

Songs of our youth story.

I was in 8th grade when Paradise by the Dashboard Light was #1 and I'll never forget this kid in my class who thought he was so studly was bragging on how he knew what it meant and challenging the other not so "worldly" kids to explain it. I was kind of a "brainy" bookworm and just inwardly shook my head thinking "someday I'm gonna be FIRED and lord knows where he's gonna be"

Well I wasn't actually thinking that lolll. RIP Meat.

Rocky Horror Picture Show

The scene where Frank N Furter staggers out of the freezer wielding an axe is possibly the most deranged part of that film. (Actually, the dinner party that comes later is the most "far gone" moment, I think.)

For those who haven't seen it, Meatloaf features in both segments.

What a great talent - and my age too. It makes you stop and think.

Mostly couldn't care less about pop culture people...but this one bums me out. Another tortured, brilliant person gone.

His music was an awesome blend of romance, insight & wit. The double entendres are fantastic.

Bummer.

The songwriting by the late great Jim Steinman who passed last year, sadly.

Someone compared the music to a blend of Bruce Springsteen and Andrew Lloyd Webber. I thought that was interesting.

likewise, I am now a fan of Meatloaf - that was fabulous!

I was not expecting that. Well done!

Nice to hear it without so many runs and ornamentation. I'm no vocal coach, but it seems to me he was smart and played to the strengths of his voice w/o overdoing it. Those high notes sounded great - powerful and had impact, but he didn't try to hold it for a minute and a half to 'show off'. Pretty good vibrato on them as well, I think.

-ERD50

DW and young kids (at the time) bought us tickets to see him in concert. This was roughly 25 years ago. He put on a great show. And for the first time, thanks to this thread, I saw/heard his absolutely fabulous rendition of Star Spangled Banner. Sad to read this news.

Glad you enjoyed it. I was not otherwise a fan, but I think that’s the best game time National Anthem ever. Powerful.

The songwriting by the late great Jim Steinman who passed last year, sadly.

Someone compared the music to a blend of Bruce Springsteen and Andrew Lloyd Webber. I thought that was interesting.

Meat Loaf sang the songs but Steinman was the one who wrote them.

He had a great voice but I wasn't into him or the music. I thought it was over produced and over the top.

Heaven no longer has to wait. Bat out of Hell was one of the rare albums where every single song was exceptional. "For Crying Our Loud" is an epic eclipsing even Bohemian Rhapsody. RIP Meatloaf you were awesome.

Heaven no longer has to wait. Bat out of Hell was one of the rare albums where every single song was exceptional. "For Crying Our Loud" is an epic eclipsing even Bohemian Rhapsody. RIP Meatloaf you were awesome.

Just played the song. Thanks for the reminder. What a song.

He started his music career at a time where there were much more talented bands such as the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Deep Purple, ELP, Chicago, Steely Dan, ELO, Santana, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Genesis, Yes, and dozens of others. The late 60's and 70's were one of the greatest periods for music but didn't rush out to buy any Meatloaf albums.

You forgot the Alman Brothers !

Meat Loaf sang the songs but Steinman was the one who wrote them.

He had a great voice but I wasn't into him or the music. I thought it was over produced and over the top.

That's just it, he was unapologetically over the top, without it being a send up or campy, and without attitude. I think his first hit (Paradise...) was kind of taken as gimmicky and that hurt him with the music critics, but he and Steinman were the real deal and one of a kind, on par with any of the 70's super groups.

btw, Dead Ringer is at least as good as any of their albums ( it's the best IMO), give it a listen if you haven't. It went to number 1 in Great Britain but for some reason didn't sell that well in the US.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom