RIP Tubby

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Tubby
2/5/2001 (adoption day)- 3/14/2015

We lost our Corgi, Kramer, last August. Lost 17 year old Tubby this morning.

In 2001 Tubby was found roaming the streets in Dallas and taken to the Dallas Humane Society where he was found to be very sick. He was fostered and nursed back to health by a kind volunteer and several weeks later was put up for adoption.

I had gone to the new car show in Dallas that spring. While wandering around Market Hall, I saw Tubby at an adoption booth at the Dallas Car Show and it was all over. I’m probably one of the few people who can say they went to a car show and came home with a new furry friend.

The vet estimated Tubby to be about 4 years old when I brought him to his new home. This was one happy and playful dog who could make us laugh at his antics. Around 2007 we noticed he had a problem with one of his eyes that eventually was diagnosed as glaucoma. Over the course of the next year he lost his eyesight. We took it harder than he did… Early on, I would follow him around to make sure he didn’t get in trouble. I must have said “that had to hurt” 30 or 40 times before his blind radar kicked in. He was amazing and loved to walk the neighborhood on a leash- very trusting of his guide.

If you’re a dog person, there’s always a special one. We’ve been lucky to have known 2, Peeper and Tubby. Both of them found us, we really didn’t find them. Our other furry companions have been special too, but Peeper and Tubby took the prize in my book.

The last thing we told Tubby this morning was to say hi to Peeper, Chili, Kramer and Newman for us.

Attached is a video I made several years ago (too much time on my hands on the weekend) with all our 'boys'... only the tree climber, Tailgate, is still around now.

Even when you know it's coming that doesn't make it hurt any less.

Love the video!

Here's to Tubby and Kramer....may their royalties live on...

I have 16 year old cat that is frail but still playful and mouthy. Dread the day when....but it is a blessing that the vet can ease our friends into the next life.
I will always have critters no matter how much it hurts at times

Very sorry for your loss.

Last edited:
Very sorry for your loss. I think most of us have been where you are and understand.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is always hard to say goodbye to our furry family members.

Great video; thanks for sharing it.

Great video

Mojo for your loss. I know it is very hard to lose a member of your family

So sorry for your loss. We've been through it several times and it's so painful. Know that you provided a wonderful happy life for him for many years.

Very sorry for your loss. We too have been through this a few times. Never gets any easier...

I am sorry for your loss.

One of my regulars for my beach walks is an older blind golden retriever... she sounds similar in attitude to Tubby - very trusting of her guide, and happy to be out in the world walking - blind or not.

RIP Tubby.

We just had our beloved girl go out without us for the last time this past fall. I still miss her every day! I know exactly what you mean about the most special of them, those that just grab hold of a piece of your heart and soul and settle in to stay. I am so sorry that you no longer have that good old friend with you in the flesh. All the best to you and yours.

Green

I am so sorry for your loss, but I am so happy that your dogs found you. You gave them so much love and happiness. Loved the video.

Awww…just saw this. Loved your video! Thanks for sharing this with us. It's amazing the hole that is left when our fur family departs. I hope Tailgate is doing ok with the loss of now two of his pals.

I feel for you. I lost both of my schnauzers Jake and Nick, Jake in 2012 and Nick this past October 2014. It didn't take me long (Dec) to get a new schnauzer puppy. Gus is now 6 months old and is my shadow. My cat tolerates him! :)

Back
Top Bottom