Rolling a 401K and Money management services?

xtradoe

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone utilize a money mangement service when they roll there 401K's, example: Compak Asset Manangement | Registered Investment Advisors | Proactive Wealth Management | Financial Planning and Solutions
They do money mangement etc.

My question is, are these good places to roll 401k's over too? or is a person better off rolling it to a trowe or fidelity or schwab? tell me who you recommend? open to any and all advice please.

Any onfo on this subject greatly appreciated, I want to get as much bang out of my 401K and I am really not in a position to manage it myself and get the most out of it, I will not be drawing from it for about 20 yrs.

Thank you.

No one?

Does anyone utilize a money mangement service when they roll there 401K's, example: Compak Asset Manangement | Registered Investment Advisors | Proactive Wealth Management | Financial Planning and Solutions
They do money mangement etc.

My question is, are these good places to roll 401k's over too? or is a person better off rolling it to a trowe or fidelity or schwab? tell me who you recommend? open to any and all advice please.

Any onfo on this subject greatly appreciated, I want to get as much bang out of my 401K and I am really not in a position to manage it myself and get the most out of it, I will not be drawing from it for about 20 yrs.

Thank you.

Anyone got any advice here?

Anyone got any advice here?

Do a search on this topic on here....there are MANY threads on what to do, and options.......the reason noone answered is that it's be hashed and re-hashed many times.............;)

In general you won't find many fans of money management services from the board regulars including folks who manage money for a living.

A rolled over 401K is the perfect type of account to transfer the money to Vanguard or Fidelity. Pick 2 to 4 funds, look at the annual or quarterly balances and once a year rebalance the funds to achieve your desired asset allocation. For somebody with 20+ years, I think 60-00% equities is a fine starting point.

I would estimate that you would need to devote roughly 2 hours a year to managing this investment and spending 8 hours a year would be probably be too much.

401k Roll ... .. .

OK, here is some simple advice. Roll it over to Vanguard and put it in a Target Retirement Fund closest to your expected retirement date.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/content/Funds/FundsVanguardFundsTarget2030Summary.jsp

Thanks,So this is a pretty good way to go? seems to simple for a good return;)!

In general you won't find many fans of money management services from the board regulars including folks who manage money for a living.

A rolled over 401K is the perfect type of account to transfer the money to Vanguard or Fidelity. Pick 2 to 4 funds, look at the annual or quarterly balances and once a year rebalance the funds to achieve your desired asset allocation. For somebody with 20+ years, I think 60-00% equities is a fine starting point.

I would estimate that you would need to devote roughly 2 hours a year to managing this investment and spending 8 hours a year would be probably be too much.

Thanks, I guess that seems to be the companies of choice!

Thanks,So this is a pretty good way to go? seems to simple for a good return;)!................

It is that simple. This strategy will outperform most managed funds and save you big in expenses. If you want to read up on investing, you can fine tune your portfolio, but this is the biggest bang for your time spent on investing.

It is that simple. This strategy will outperform most managed funds and save you big in expenses.

I would use the word "MIGHT" as far as outperform most managed funds. There's not enough data to "guarantee success". I would think a good balanced fund could do almost the same thing..........;)

I would use the word "MIGHT" as far as outperform most managed funds. There's not enough data to "guarantee success". I would think a good balanced fund could do almost the same thing..........;)

FD, I'll meet you halfway - will probably outperform most managed funds. Especially after fees. ;)

What are fidelity's funds that are similar to these vanguards called BTW? ... also what about ETF'S anyone have any pros or cons on them?

Fidelity calls their version Freedom Funds:

Fidelity Investments:

Fidelity's expenses are higher, which will reduce the value your long term nest egg, but Fidelity is a good company. I use Fidelity for some of my portfolio, but have a slice and dice allocation which uses their super cheap Spartan funds. If you want to keep it really simple, I'd go with a single fund over ETFs.

There is nothing intrinsically 'wrong' with TR funds - a great place to get started and have a very simple plan.

If you're willing to learn more, I'd consider slicing out the holdings in the TR fund.. a few reasons why:

1) You can capture a small rebalancing bonus by owning the pieces (and rebalancing faithfully) vs. the owning the whole.
2) TR funds usually have a severe underallocation to foreign funds
3) TR funds usually have little or no TIPS allocation until close to maturity.
4) Expense ratio of TR funds may be higher than separate allocations

All that aside, when you're a young investor your contribution rate is by far the most important factor until you accumulate more substantial assets. So work hard on funding the account, start with a TR fund, and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom