Roth backdoor: can I roll after tax $ and earning separately?

ut2sua

Recycles dryer sheets
I have looked through some older threads, but I don't know if the tax code has changed so I ask the question here. I have some post tax $ put in 1 IRA account and over the years there is quite a bit of earning over my original basis. Can I roll my original post tax basis amount into a Roth account, and roll the earning $ into my 401K to avoid paying taxes there?
I couldn't do the Roth conversion before because I used to have lots of pre tax $ in IRA accounts, and I got stuck with the pro rata rule, but now all I have left is this one account with a mix of post tax $ + earning. Thanks for any comment.

I clicked your link. I think you read that guidance wrong. It is only for workplace after-tax money, 401k not IRA.

If I understand your initial post correctly, now that you have rolled all of your deductible IRAs into a 401k, you can convert the last remaining after-tax IRA with earnings into a Roth IRA and pay the tax using the pro rata rules to be done with it.

One other possibility would be to find out if you can roll the after-tax IRA into an after-tax 401k where you are able to specify how much is after-tax and how much is earnings. If that is possible, then you could use the guidance from your link on the newly created after-tax 401k.
Hope this helps.

One other possibility would be to find out if you can roll the after-tax IRA into an after-tax 401k where you are able to specify how much is after-tax and how much is earnings. If that is possible, then you could use the guidance from your link on the newly created after-tax 401k.
Hope this helps.
Thanks N02L84ER. I have not thought about rolling them into my 401K. That is a good possibility for me.

Back
Top Bottom