Rough guess of sales tax required to fund health care

This is a slippery slope because there will always be a group self-righteously pointing a finger at another group that "should pay more".
"You drive more miles than me, you have a higher risk of med bills from a crash"
"You have a house with stairs, you're more likely to have med bills from a fall"
"You do home improvement with power tools..."
"You ride a motorcycle..."
"You drive a convertible..."
"You cook with charcoal..."

etc etc

Case in point is the number of idiots that go hiking in 105 degree temps with 12 ozs of water. The county had to rescue 23 people in ONE WEEKEND. Some get a helicopter ride (its not an ambulance, so they are not billed for it). For free. Yet motorists have to pay for the cost of all the rescue resources dispatched if they drove around a barricade that wasn't taken down from last weeks rain.

HEAT: Rescue teams help several hikers in Pima County

I agree in principal to your argument and I know my views are a bit extreme but as I looked at a list of the 25 healthiest countries, the U.S. is not on the list. So as we talk to the points of funding, then we have to look at the burden behavior puts on the system. There's no way around it.

In regards to a reply touting the Canadian system (earlier post), there are problems with that program also. You blow out a knee and it doesn't guarantee you're going to get an MRI anytime soon unless you want to pay an additional $1,000 to go to the head of the line. Only so many are allotted at a given facility that are paid by the universal program. How many people come down to the U.S. for major surgery? If you're having a heart attack or have cancer then you will be well taken care of. Many people buys supplemental insurance to fill the gaps.

I won't even mention the Canadian tax rates.

I agree in principal to your argument and I know my views are a bit extreme but as I looked at a list of the 25 healthiest countries, the U.S. is not on the list. So as we talk to the points of funding, then we have to look at the burden behavior puts on the system. There's no way around it.

In regards to a reply touting the Canadian system (earlier post), there are problems with that program also. You blow out a knee and it doesn't guarantee you're going to get an MRI anytime soon unless you want to pay an additional $1,000 to go to the head of the line. Only so many are allotted at a given facility that are paid by the universal program. How many people come down to the U.S. for major surgery? If you're having a heart attack or have cancer then you will be well taken care of. Many people buys supplemental insurance to fill the gaps.

I won't even mention the Canadian tax rates.
Canada has the worst wait times in the world historically, but that doesn’t mean it’s a given with universal health care. Here’s one of many available charts. Again there are over 60 universal healthcare systems all over the world. Maybe the US electorate would make better choices if they looked a little deeper instead of jumping to conclusions, takes a few minutes?

Waited-for-needed-care-500x332.jpg

Last edited:
Infant mortality is just one other metric we fall well down the rankings on. And our preventive care falls way short, out system waits and treats later more often at much higher cost.

Last I looked you’re right, the US is still at the forefront on new cutting edge treatments, new pharmaceuticals (along with a ton of marginally effective drugs) and medical research. But we’re not nearly as good at everyday healthcare, the routine care that makes up the bulk of US healthcare costs. Just look these procedures up on the published price list of any other country for starters:

Here are relative costs for 9 common procedures http://usat.ly/1bEvMN3. Nothing special about outcomes in the US.

When you’re done with that. Compare cost and frequency for the most common tests and prescriptions for the US vs all other developed countries...
When your life or loved one's life is on the line, where do you want to be to have the best chance of survival? It's right here imo. That's the only metric that counts.

When your life or loved one's life is on the line, where do you want to be to have the best chance of survival? It's right here imo. That's the only metric that counts.
I’d honestly be interested in any supporting information you have to support your assertion the US offers the “best chance of survival.” I’ve seen data suggesting the US is the best place where cutting edge treatments are required, but I haven’t seen anything to support it’s the best place overall, for the most common healthcare threats. I do have sources that clearly show otherwise, but let’s see your sources first since you made the allegation.

I’d honestly be interested in any supporting information you have to support your assertion the US offers the “best chance of survival.” I’ve seen data suggesting the US is the best place where cutting edge treatments are required, but I haven’t seen anything to support it’s the best place overall, for the most common healthcare threats. I do have sources that clearly show otherwise, but let’s see your sources first since you made the allegation.

IIRC survival rates for some cancers are statistically better for the U.S than in Europe.

But the question is it worth the cost?

IIRC survival rates for some cancers are statistically better for the U.S than in Europe.

But the question is it worth the cost?
Could be re: all cancers overall though some Euro countries do better than the US. My assertion above was challenging the very broad unfounded statement. Look at all the most common causes world over. The US is good in some cases, surprisingly bad in others. Lots of sources, here’s just one.

https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/alcohol/by-country/

Attachments

• 9AC5DE0D-00A1-49A5-845C-62B39C746075.jpg
    9AC5DE0D-00A1-49A5-845C-62B39C746075.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom