Running into kind honorable people

JP.mpls

Full time employment: Posting here.
I messed up recently, but ran into some nice people, and everything turned out for the best. I've done some complaining on this forum, so now I'm reporting something positive.

My new woman friend and I recently took off on our three day road trip to our new winter home in Bonita Springs.

We stopped at a hotel after our first long day of driving. I had concerns about someone stealing all of our stuff out of the back of my pickup truck with one of those rubberized canvas covers over the bed.

One of the online recommendations was to park in a well lit area near the front door, so we did that. Another recommendation was to remove everything from the inside of the vehicle, so thieves are not tempted to break the windows.

I got a hotel cart, and hauled all of the stuff we had in the inside up to our room. We made it through the evening with no vandalism. I reloaded the truck with our gear in the morning, and we hit the road.

When we got to the second hotel, I came to the horrible conclusion that I left my backpack with both of our laptops in the previous hotel room.

I had put the bag on a big stuffed chair, and then threw all the extra bed pillows on top of it. I didn't move those pillows when we left the room. Ugh. What a dumbass move. I felt sick. I also had my checkbook, and encrypted financial files on the computers.

We called the evening hotel clerk, and he said nothing was turned in. Oh my god, what a terrible feeling. I dreamed about changing all of the passwords on all of my critical accounts, and which ones to start with.
I also planned on cancelling all of the checks.

The next day I called the early morning clerk. He said my room was never cleaned from the previous night, and that he would go up and look for it.

He didn't call back, so I called a half hour later. The new morning guy said the night clerk went home, but that my backpack was in the office. He took my Visa information and Florida address, and said he would have it shipped to my home. It showed up about 4 days ago. What a relief.

I just sent both guys money orders as a gift/reward for their kindness.

Sometimes people are very honorable and kind. I'm just thrilled that I ran into some decent people after messing up big time.

Take care, JP

Great story, JP. It could have ended a lot differently. I've found a couple of Apple smart phones left on a table or tucked into a chair cushion in a public place. Always turn such items into the most likely spot to insure proper return.

I'll keep pocket change found in a chair or coin return, but otherwise, property that's not mine is NOT mine. YMMV

Thanks for sharing a story of kindness. Unfortunately, this is a trait sorely lacking in many parts of our society.

He took my Visa information and Florida address, and said he would have it shipped to my home.

I had a similar experience about a dozen years ago at a Hampton Inn in Rutland VT. I had been there for about four nights and got a little too comfortable I guess. Left a very expensive and hard-to-find book behind. To my great surprise, they not only had it in the office, but they were happy to mail it to me at their expense. It was a rather heavy hardcover book, so that definitely shocked me. I received it in a well padded envelope within days, and I've had a soft spot for Hampton Inns ever since.

Glad it turned out well for you. Nice gesture rewarding those who got it returned to you.

I have a system I use for snowbird hotels stays since we always have lots of stuff in the car...

Three groups of items.

1. stuff that would ruin my week if it got misplaced. That would be stuff like you misplaced and cell and phones, reading tablets, purse, glasses

2. stuff that would be a pain to replace but not anxiety provoking. pair of slippers, pjs. etc.

3. stuff I don't really care about. shampoo from home, chapstick, etc,.

I pack from the bathroom out, making my way to the door of the motel stacking things on the cart. Stack cart, walk through room again.

I always keep (and repack the the next morning) the number one items together in a large tote bag style. Big enough for a laptop case or a backpack.

When we load the car, I look at the bag, go through it and make sure the stuff is all accounted for. I also use the same place in the car to put this bag every day.

Drives my DH nuts, but it my security blanket...I don't want to be driving the road two hours later and wonder, Where is my kindle.

It gets to be a habit after awhile and helps make those days on the road less of a hassle.

Yes, thanks for sharing. It is great to hear positive stories. Glad it turned out so well for you.

There are good people out there.

A few years ago my DD was returning home to Philadelphia in a snowstorm. She managed to get on the last flight out of Chicago; by the time she landed at PHL the storm was raging and the city was shutting down for the night.

Transportation options for her to get to her home in South Philly were slim due to the storm. A number of fellow passengers were struggling to find a way to the city when a van pulled up and the driver announced he would take a full load in to the city. DD got one of the seats; but then the driver announced that the fare was cash only. DD looked in her wallet and didn’t have enough so she asked the man next to her to let her out of the seat. He questioned why she would want to give up the ride and she confessed that she didn’t have the cash to pay. He replied “It’s on me. If you don’t get out now you might not get out until tomorrow”.

It wouldn’t have been the first time DD had to spend the night at an airport, but it sure was nice that she didn’t have to.

The last "hotel" stay we had was this past March we went to Pigeon Forge for a long weekend to celebrate my birthday. After a great weekend we packed up and headed home. The day before we left we had gone to Dollywood and my DW didn't want to carry he pocketbook around. She took her small wallet out of it and hid it under the mattress so she could leave the big pocketbook in the car in the rear floor. We were about 2 hrs. down the road when she pulled her pocketbook up to get out something and said OMG I left my wallet in the hotel. I pulled off the next exit and we called the hotel. The desk clerk said no one had turned it in. After telling her where she had hidden it the lady had someone go look and then called us back that they did find it. We returned to the hotel and got it and I gave the desk clerk and the room attendant a tip for being so honest with us. We also went to the hotels site and gave them a good review.

My wallet fell between the night stand and the bed in a hotel once. The room had been cleaned but no wallet found. I told them where I thought it must be, and it was found.

I realized I'd be very happy to have it back, even if the money was gone. When I picked it up, I just gave them all the money in it ... wasn't much ... less than $50. I was very happy.

I've done my bit.
As an early morning cyclist I find many interesting things on the road. Twice, I have come upon a ladies purse with most of the contents strewn about. The first one had several hundred dollars in a wallet and belonged to a young hispanic lady who spoke little english. It was her union dues, she thanked me profusely and offered a reward of $20. Of course I refused.
The second one had at least several thousand dollars in the wallet, I didn't do an exact count. On the way back from an errand (this was before cell phones), I see a woman parked in an older Mercedes near the spot where I found the purse slumped over the wheel sobbing. When I asked if she had lost something, she explained how she set her purse on top of the car to attend to her child, then drove off without thinking. When I said I have it and all the contents, she of course thanked me and immediately offered $100. Again I refused.
OTOH, when I found an IPhone on the bike trail recently, the result was a little less gratifying. When I encountered the owner who waved me down asking if I had seen the phone, I produced it and again, he thanked me. We then parted ways after a friendly chat.
A couple days later on the trail, I see the guy and give a wave. He snubs me!, Wow! I am sure he recognized me. A few days later I saw him again, same thing. Still puzzled.

Last edited:
There are a lot of good folks like that. DW and I were on a bike trip in New Zealand and attended a Maori theater presentation on a rainy day. DW left her hand bag with CC's, cash, and passport on the floor under her seat. She didn't realize it until we were way down the road at another town. The theater crew found her pocketbook and insisted on FedExing it to us and would not accept a reward.

I left a travel satchel with $1,500 and our passports in a Chicago limo late one night. When I called first thing in the morning, the dispatcher said he had no knowledge of it and neither did the driver. He admitted that I was the last fare of the evening. Only once I agreed to surrender the cash to get the satchel and passports did he admit to having it and agreed to mail it to me. I suspect the driver and dispatcher split the take.

Maybe they were honorable because they actually did what they said they would do and I was an idiot for leaving it behind.

Last edited:
I found a lady's purse once in a downtown location. I walked it over to the police station and turned it in. A few hours later the lady called me up and accused me of stealing the money in it. There was no money in it when I found it, but I thought she'd be grateful to get back all the cards and ID in it. :facepalm:

I found a lady's purse once in a downtown location. I walked it over to the police station and turned it in. A few hours later the lady called me up and accused me of stealing the money in it. There was no money in it when I found it, but I thought she'd be grateful to get back all the cards and ID in it. :facepalm:

Yeah the old no good deed goes unpunished. However keep doing the right thing and it will work out in the end.

How did she get your name? IMO that should not have happened.

How did she get your name? IMO that should not have happened.
I gave my number to the cops and I assume they gave it to her. They probably thought she'd thank me.

Most people are good. It is the only way society halfway functions.

Hmm-my story.

My friend and I drove to Soufflenheim, France, for some shopping. We left to go eat at another town and when I got out of the car, I realized I couldn't find my purse. Living overseas means you have to carry a lot of ID info when driving: passport, driver's license, international driver's license, in my case orders and CAC card (US government employee) and of course credit cards, cash, etc.

We immediately drove back to where I had parked: no joy. I then drove to the police station in the next town (the towns are small so they share police stations) to ask if anyone had turned in a purse. My French is poor and his English was poor so that was almost ineffectual, although interesting as I had to be buzzed in and was fortunate that he was there because the French take lunch seriously and close down all businesses except restaurants at lunch. He told me to also go to the City Hall and ask (Marie in French).

So we drove back to where I parked which was right near the Marie. As I looked over I saw a police truck and thought on a whim to pull over and ask. I rolled down my window and the policewoman rolled down hers- I asked if someone had found a purse and she asked me if I was 'my name'...I nearly fell out if my car. She had my purse in her trunk. Some young boy had found it on the ground in the parking lot and had handed it to her. It was lunchtime and there was a school nearby, so there were a lot of children being released for lunch.

My friend took a video of me hugging the policewoman.

The adrenaline rush and then wash out for that situation was quite dramatic. I was calmer than my friend, although internally I had started thinking about how I was going to have to go through hassle of replacing all that stuff...

We went to a very nice lunch afterward-I drank a lot of champagne ��

I gave my number to the cops and I assume they gave it to her. They probably thought she'd thank me.

You'll know better then to share your info next time. Some people.....:facepalm:

OK, my story of kindness. Years ago we were on a 3 week vacation. We had some car trouble but that all worked out. Somewhere along the way, I realized that I had lost my prescription sunglasses. I had no idea where. No sense worrying about it. We continued on our way and had a great time. About a week after we got home, I received a package in the mail. I had no idea what it was. I opened it and found my sunglasses. I looked to see who it was from. During our car issue, we rented a car for a day to take in the local sites. The rental place found the glasses with my name engraved in the frame and just went ahead and shipped them to me.

There are good people out there. They seldom make the TV news. "If it bleeds, it leads" seems to influence the public to thinking this is the norm. It just isn't so.

Another story: When I was a teenager I spent a lot of time in our local lake. One day, as the ice was going out, I found a wallet in the shallow water near the shore. It was pretty ratty as you might imagine. There was no real money in it that I can remember. I could make out the name and address of the person on the driver's license. I called the operator (remember them?) and asked for the person's phone number. I called and the guy was happy that it was found. Evidently he was fishing a few YEARS earlier and lost it overboard. Even though all of his valuables in it had been replaced, he came out to pick up the wallet and gave me $5 for my honesty.

Back
Top Bottom