RV's---never again

That road looks rough...the car is covered in mud too. Nice shack.

Do any of you planning to go to Alaska prospect for gold?

I once looked at flying up to Anchorage and renting an RV there. The Web site of an RV place showed the highways the renters could travel on. For the Dempster, there was an admonition: "Don't even think about it!".

One cannot drive up to the Arctic Ocean. The last 20 or 30 miles from Inuvik had no road probably due to swampy land. One must take a short flight to go up to the Arctic Ocean to say he/she has been there.

I am afraid I will not be driving my RV on the Dempster either, when I make the trip. My wife would have a fit if I make an attempt. So, to compensate for that, I spent a bit of time on Google Street View to see the scenery along this road. See the link below for the turn-around at the end of the road going north from Inuvik. http://

This young lady tackled the Dempster solo in her VW powered class C. Apparently you can drive to the Arctic Ocean in the winter only. Since it was summer, she took the flight to Tuktoyaktuk.
http://livinginmycar.com/blog/2010/07/19/crazy-guys-on-bikes/

Yes, I found and read her blog a while back. Hers was a nice diesel Mercedes Sprinter-chassis based class C, not a VW.

One time, she locked herself out of her MH, but luckily had the skylight opened, so she got back in via that. Most MHs little vents are too small for a human body to fit through.

Last edited:
I'm just aiming for Fort McPherson, not any further north than that. We've got a long way to get back to SC and only 4 weeks to do it in, so we will be running up and back. I'm quite excited about a side trip in BC to see Stewart and Hyder, the two cities on ether side of the southernmost Canada USA border. And getting "Hyderized".
Will check out that blog to add to our info base. Thanks!

Hers was a nice diesel Mercedes Sprinter-chassis based class C, not a VW.

Thanks for the correction.
I like the idea of better fuel mileage with the Sprinter, but the chassis looks less durable/lower clearance than the Ford/GM models. Her account made the trip up the Dempster Hwy sound less daunting.

When I was shopping for a used class C, did give serious consideration to a Sprinter-based motorhome. But in the final analysis, over the 100K-mile life of an RV (and most people drive less than that) the fuel mileage difference does not justify the cost differential between a diesel engine and the common Ford/GM gas engine. Also, the gas engine can be serviced more readily by an average mechanic.

About the Dempster, the road condition as shown by the Google Street View did not look too bad. I noticed that the leaves were turning; perhaps it was later in summer and already past the rain season. Imagine when it is muddy, and if you slide into a ditch, it can ruin your day. Or try to replace a flat tire on that road!

Well, I have enjoyed being an armchair traveler with Google SV, so will give the Dempster a lower priority. There are many more interesting spots in Alaska.

Last edited:
When I was shopping for a used class C, did give serious consideration to a Sprinter-based motorhome.
I also looked a the Sprinter-based RVs and was shocked at the lack of payload capacity. Once they get the RV 'stuff' loaded on that chassis there isn't much you can add before you're reached the GVWR. I saw a Winnebago model that was maxed out at 900 lbs.

I also looked a the Sprinter-based RVs and was shocked at the lack of payload capacity. Once they get the RV 'stuff' loaded on that chassis there isn't much you can add before you're reached the GVWR. I saw a Winnebago model that was maxed out at 900 lbs.

Most of the RVs have a lack of payload capacity, unless you go to a large truck chassis or class A. The class C that are built on a 350 or 450 frame might only have 1200 pounds available (which sounds like a lot until you fill all the tanks and stock up on canned goods for a long trip).

It is even worse with some truck campers. Some of the larger campers are so heavy that they don't technically have any capacity left for fuel or passengers when mounted to certain size pickups. People toss on air bags to make it seem like they are ok.

My 25-footer class C with no slides has a cargo carrying capacity of 2646 lbs to be exact, after its 55-gal fuel tank has been filled. That's according to the attached placard.

The clean/waste water, occupants, and any cargo are to be included in that 2646 lbs. That's plenty for me. Unless I load the thing with gold bars (or lead), there's not enough volume inside the living space for a cargo of that weight.

PS. Because of its relatively light weight of less than 10,000 lbs empty, the recommended inflation pressure for the rear tires is only 65 psi. Before I found this out, I pumped them up to the max 80 psi to be safe. Needless to say, that resulted in a stiff ride. :p

Last edited:
That is pretty acceptable. We looked at a class C toyhauler before deciding to build our own and it had only around 1500 pounds available. Figure putting two toys (motorcycles), some spare fuel and supplies for a good 2 week camping trip and you are over the limit.

We went with a 19000lb GVWR truck that weighs in at 8800 pounds with full fuel. Our camper is going to be around 4200 pounds wet leaving us with a nice 6000 pounds of cargo capacity (of course that will have to include occupants :D).

It is amazing how far they have come with converter technology. The WFCO in my Aliner includes a 25A three stage charger which does a great job on everything from float to rapid charge. I was able to get 4 years out of the original cheapo deep cycle battery thanks to proper charging

This hit me in spades. After four seasons, I wanted to get a new battery and figured I might as well put in a size 27 in place of the size 24. I already had a size 27 battery box in the garage I used to use for the trolling motor on the boat. But wait....... ! When I tried to mount the size 27 box where the size 24 box had been, it interfered with the two propane tanks. Now I'm figuring out how to jury rig a way to mount it without having to do any cutting and welding of the L brackets that hold the battery box. There's always something........
When we replaced our house batteries we stuck with exactly the same size. Too many folks had fires in their battery compartment after "upgrading". We didn't dare change/re-route the wiring at all!

Ding ding ding, winner. RVs are cheaply made so they can be affordable. If you don't want cheap, go with something like an earthmover.

Few people realize what they are getting into when they purchase an RV. Our plan is to buy a 5 year old class A motor home for half the new price, drive it around for a few years exploring this great country of ours, then sell it for what we can get out of it and buy or build in our new-found retirement locale.
We have expectations of having to replace roof material, appliances, flooring, plumbing fixtures, and a whole host of other failed parts during the journey. We also have expectations of having phenomenal views out the front window when we wake up every morning. Lakes, mountains, prairies, glacier valleys, and rivers among them. All without living out of a suitcase and dealing with airport security and baggage lines.

Few people realize what they are getting into when they purchase an RV. Our plan is to buy a 5 year old class A motor home for half the new price, drive it around for a few years exploring this great country of ours, then sell it for what we can get out of it and buy or build in our new-found retirement locale.
We have expectations of having to replace roof material, appliances, flooring, plumbing fixtures, and a whole host of other failed parts during the journey. We also have expectations of having phenomenal views out the front window when we wake up every morning. Lakes, mountains, prairies, glacier valleys, and rivers among them. All without living out of a suitcase and dealing with airport security and baggage lines.
A good plan.

We did something similar the year after retiring and our repair experience was far less daunting than what you describe above.

In 2007 we bought a 2001 diesel pusher from the original owner and paid half what he paid new. Granted, we didn't live in it full time but we did keep it four years and enjoyed the heck out of using it. I did most of the minor maintenance and repair stuff myself (not the oil changes - too messy). The only major repair cost was $900 to replace a dryer on the air suspension/brake system. By far the biggest hit to my wallet was the $3,000 cost to replace the tires. Or maybe it was the $4,700 in sales tax when I registered it. Or was it the ~$6,400 spent to keep the 150 gallon tank full of diesel?

No matter, it was a great fun for those four years. We we sold it for 75% of what we paid for it, downsized to a towable RV and still spend 60+ nights a year seeing the sights. Sleeping in your own bed wherever you go cannot be overrated.

... Sleeping in your own bed wherever you go cannot be overrated.

DW and I stumbled into the RV lifestyle when we purchased an Airstream from my aging parents. Now that we've FIREd the RV allows us to spend significant amount of time traveling. We're not full-timing we are any-timing! And bringing your bed (and kitchen and bathroom) are a major benefit.

DW and I stumbled into the RV lifestyle when we purchased an Airstream from my aging parents. Now that we've FIREd the RV allows us to spend significant amount of time traveling. We're not full-timing we are any-timing! And bringing your bed (and kitchen and bathroom) are a major benefit.

Why are you guys hating so much on bedbugs in hotel rooms. They gotta eat too!

DW and I bought a 3 year old Airstream 3 1/2 years ago. We love it. In 2013 we spent 105 nights traveling in it and traveled over 10,000 uneventful miles. Buying a lightly used Airstream allowed us to avoid the big depreciation hit. We've had some maintenance work performed which is required of all moving vehicles. Airstreams have some issues but if you care for them and stay on top of the problems they should last a lifetime.

The unexpected bonus of owning an Airstream has been the social aspect. We frequently attend Airstream rallies around the country and have made wonderful new friends. For example we attended the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in 2013 and camped on the edge of the balloon launch field with 199 other Airstreams.

Travel keeps us active and healthy. The Airstream allows us to see and experience the country in a new way. After a career spent traveling around the globe, I'll be happy if I never ride another airplane. There is nothing quite like backing one's trailer up to a secluded lake and watching the sun set with a campfire glowing and a nice glass of wine.

.......... There is nothing quite like backing one's trailer up to a secluded lake
Left! No Right! I mean STOP!

and watching the sun set with a campfire glowing and a nice glass of wine.
Until the neighbors from hell show up , generator and boom box running. :LOL:

Just kidding.

Just kidding.
Never had a problem backing the trailer just using the side view mirrors.

Solved the neighbors from hell problem. Sold my Argosy, bought 14 acres in the wilderness, nearest neighbor several miles away.

Solved the neighbors from hell problem. Sold my Argosy, bought 14 acres in the wilderness, nearest neighbor several miles away.

No doubt on the mirrors. Using sig. other for backing help is a recipe for disaster.

Neighbors from hell? We have joined them before and packed up and left some other times. I don;t let things like that ruin my trips.

Reminds me of a story by spoken word artist Henry Rollins. He was talking about a time some years ago when he decided he badly needed a break, so booked a place on an African safari-type vacation. By day, the group would be taken on safari and by night, they would live in tents in an area set up for them. Henry described his excitement at the thought of getting out into the middle of this wild and rugged country - just him, a few other people in the group, a book or two that he had brought with him to read at night, and the wild animals. Then the folk in a tent near him turned their boombox up loud so that all night, he heard loud Madonna songs blaring across the African landscape.

It was quite comic to hear him rail on about his perceived idiocy of these people who had spent a good sum of money to get out into this beautiful and remote countryside, only to play loud pop music :facepalm:

No doubt on the mirrors. Using sig. other for backing help is a recipe for disaster.

Neighbors from hell? We have joined them before and packed up and left some other times. I don;t let things like that ruin my trips.

This guy knows how to back up and turn around. The version I originally saw, whats behind him a cliff.

MRG

I w*rked at a plant making specialized boxes with molded foam inserts for a while back in the 70s. I was the only guy who could back the trailer under the gravity bin where the sawdust gathered, so I spent most of the time driving the truck/trailer to the county dump. Definitely the best j*b in the place...

It was quite comic to hear him rail on about his perceived idiocy of these people who had spent a good sum of money to get out into this beautiful and remote countryside, only to play loud pop music :facepalm:

I see this at the movies and at concerts all the time, i.e. people blabbing the entire time. Why pay good money for a ticket when you have no plans to watch the show?

I see this at the movies and at concerts all the time, i.e. people blabbing the entire time. Why pay good money for a ticket when you have no plans to watch the show?

One of my favorite songwriters, anytime he plays acoustic, begins the show with a warning that if you talk during his songs, he's going to stop singing and embarrass you in front of your girlfriend. Fair warning, and people STFU at his shows.

Now when he's out with the full band, there's a big dance floor, it is a whole 'nother story.

One of my favorite songwriters, anytime he plays acoustic, begins the show with a warning that if you talk during his songs, he's going to stop singing and embarrass you in front of your girlfriend. Fair warning, and people STFU at his shows.

Now when he's out with the full band, there's a big dance floor, it is a whole 'nother story.

J.D. Souther did this when I saw him. :dance:

RV Camping in an Airstream

Just kidding.

The photo below was taken in at sunrise in Carribelle, Florida January 16, 2014. By the way, the neighbors were terrific. No generators (full hookup sites) and no boom boxes.

Attachments

• DSC_0506.jpg
    DSC_0506.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom