Saving too Much

Didn't you own an airplane at one time? That, my friend, is NOT a necessary expense! :D

I know...I owned one. It was one of the funnest things money could buy (that's legal) but yeah, it could never be considered frugal!

Well, maybe not strictly frugal, but it wasn't always a rich man's game either. (And I think Walt34 and I talked about that awhile back.) This got me wondering so I looked at what I paid for my first airplane - adjusted for inflation to date. Comes out to $13,572 or about half the price of a new Hyundai. :LOL:

Yes, I did own a Piper Tri-Pacer for a couple of years. Took every spare nickel I had to run but it sure was fun!

Ask pilots who fly both R/C and full-size and most will say that R/C is every bit as challenging, if not more so, than full-size....

I've never flown R/C but I've always wondered if that's not the case. Having to flip your brain a 180 every time your craft is flying toward rather than away from you can't be all that intuitive. One advantage though - the penalty for a major error in judgement is a lot easier to live with. :)

The caviar order gave me pause.

I really miss big Chesapeake Bay hard shell crabs. There's a place in MD that ships them FedEx and about twice a year I go as far as filling in the online order form, but when the shipping charge of $75 or so shows up, I don't place the order because it seems like too much $$. But it's actually cheaper than going out to a nice restaurant, so there's really no good reason not to do it. Resolution made - when we get back from our upcoming RV trip, we're having a crab feast!

Thanks, RobbieB! :flowers:

How much do the crabs run? I'm finding it impossible to convince DW it's ok to pay $100/dz for jumbos instead of $25/dz for #1 males. We don't have to pay for shipping!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I've got 3 dozen of these clams arriving tomorrow for some steamers with crusty bread!

It's very inefficient for all of us to individually save for the possibility of living to age (pick a high number). Annuities spread the risk, but they have their own costs from inefficiencies of being complex and being profitable for the insurer. I wish it were practical for us here to create a non-profit annuity, one in which we pool our funds and thus spread the longevity risk with less cost.

It's very inefficient for all of us to individually save for the possibility of living to age (pick a high number). Annuities spread the risk, but they have their own costs from inefficiencies of being complex and being profitable for the insurer. I wish it were practical for us here to create a non-profit annuity, one in which we pool our funds and thus spread the longevity risk with less cost.

Tontine. (but watch your back)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom