scientists - drug to live 200 years

Obviously nothing will come of this "breakthrough." At least, not in my lifetime.

So, this is just a thought experiment. A "What If..."

What if we could have good health and live for 200 years? Imagine the knowledge, the experiences, the friendships, the skills, we'd accumulate. The things we could do and learn. Knowledge is power. It's only because our knowledge, and our mobility, are eroded as we age that we don't look forward to it. Imagine what you could accomplish in one full lifetime, never mind 200 years, with no pain, no memory loss and no loss of muscle mass or mobility.

Yeah, I'd sign up for that.

Maybe if lifespans were longer, we would be able to better conceptualize and carry out important long-term projects that do not have immediate benefits but need to be done for the future.

Only if the pill guarantees me my 20 yo body, 45 yo brain and my current $$$ unti I drop dead at 200. .......Fat chance!

I'd rather see someone working on getting me to 99 very healthy while still indulging on a diet of Delmonico steaks, bacon, and whiskey.

There have been Twilight Zone/Outer Limits/Night Gallery/Tales From The Crypt episodes related to this topic. None of them had a good outcome :D.

It took my mother-in-law 1 year, repeat 1 year, to remember how to select YouTube on the TV. My wife had to guide her through the process each single night, until she finally mastered it after a few hundred times.

My own mother suddenly forgot how to select USB input on her TV, after using it for quite some time. One day, the brain cells where that info was stored suddenly turned off. Poof! A lot of her memories just randomly vanished in the same manner.

It's scary.
I can’t say anything negative about that. I was in a vacation condo the other night and it took me 15 minutes to put the baseball All-Star Game on the “Smart TV”.

I suspect it was programmed to make it hard to leave the Samsung-specific channel options.

Not going to take the pill, haven't planned for 200 year exit - :)

I would pass on taking it. I would like to see Physician-assisted suicide with consent and no restrictions on what the health issue is.

I can’t say anything negative about that. I was in a vacation condo the other night and it took me 15 minutes to put the baseball All-Star Game on the “Smart TV”.

I suspect it was programmed to make it hard to leave the Samsung-specific channel options.

Always fun trying to figure out the electronics in a rental condo. We stayed at one place that had a TV with a laser pointer remote. Bring up the channel guide on the TV and point the laser at the show you want and hit a button to select. Never seen anything like that before, but then again, our TV is over 10 years old. Place also had remote control blinds which were kind of neat.

As far as living to 200, if you were still mentally and physically healthy and your family and friends were taking the pill too, I'd be up for it.

Always fun trying to figure out the electronics in a rental condo. We stayed at one place that had a TV with a laser pointer remote. Bring up the channel guide on the TV and point the laser at the show you want and hit a button to select. Never seen anything like that before, but then again, our TV is over 10 years old.
Ours is about 15 years old, so I was even worse off!

There's an ancient and horrible Greek myth about a goddess who loved a mortal man so much, she granted him eternal life. Unfortunately, she forgot to give him eternal youth, so he aged continually, yet could not die. Needless to say, he was doomed to an eternity of misery.

Yeah, what was that movie? Oh, yeah. "Death Becomes Her." Not a good way to spend eternity.

Back
Top Bottom