Seasonal topic....post-RE holiday celebrations

Nuiloa

Recycles dryer sheets
Did your holiday plans alter once you retired and had the freedom of choice?

Here's my scenario:

I have 1 bro, a SIL and a nephew that live here in BC. We have always been together at xmas. Nephew got married and is mostly hanging out with his wife's family, so my bro, SIL and I were going to do xmas morning together. Here's the issue: SIL is obsessed with this woman who is a Barbie clone and has about the same IQ (slightly lower). For the past 2 years, we can't do anything without inviting Barbie and her hubby (who has the same IQ as Ken but not the wardrobe - and he only talks to men).

I just got informed that Barbie and Ken are going to be "opening xmas stockings with us" on Xmas morning. Which means that I will sit between Barbie and SIL and listen to endless giggling and girlish chatter about clothes and hair dye and bro and Ken, who will talk about nothing but cars.

It's too late to make other plans. But I finally told my SIL what I thought of her friends and advised that this was my last xmas in BC. I then booked a trip to Rarotonga for next year and will probably spend the bulk of the winter down there.

It will be so nice to have the freedom of choice! :mad:

No, we are doing exactly the same things this year as always. But I think you have some great ideas! :D

No, we are doing exactly the same things this year as always. But I think you have some great ideas! :D

Have you ever been to the Cook Islands? Rarotonga is heaven on earth. A little bit of unspoiled paradise.

Yes, but not since the 1950's. Sounds like they haven't changed much... good!

Really? The 50's? Did you ever meet members of the Engu and/or Tavai family - they're a huge clan and are all over the island. My friend was adopted by them in the last 50s and they have adopted me as a sort of "auntie". Fabulous family.

I was a kid.... :) I don't think so, though. They sound terrific. You are going to have a GREAT Christmas next year. :D

Last edited:
Did your holiday plans alter once you retired and had the freedom of choice?

Here's my scenario:

I have 1 bro, a SIL and a nephew that live here in BC. We have always been together at xmas. Nephew got married and is mostly hanging out with his wife's family, so my bro, SIL and I were going to do xmas morning together. Here's the issue: SIL is obsessed with this woman who is a Barbie clone and has about the same IQ (slightly lower). For the past 2 years, we can't do anything without inviting Barbie and her hubby (who has the same IQ as Ken but not the wardrobe - and he only talks to men).

I just got informed that Barbie and Ken are going to be "opening xmas stockings with us" on Xmas morning. Which means that I will sit between Barbie and SIL and listen to endless giggling and girlish chatter about clothes and hair dye and bro and Ken, who will talk about nothing but cars.

It's too late to make other plans. But I finally told my SIL what I thought of her friends and advised that this was my last xmas in BC. I then booked a trip to Rarotonga for next year and will probably spend the bulk of the winter down there.

It will be so nice to have the freedom of choice! :mad:

Given your situation we would do the same thing - even if we were still working.

Our Christmas holiday plans will be the same as previous years as we get on very well with our 2 children and 1 SIL. The weather is also very nice here in SE Texas at Christmas. We do all our traveling in the summer months now that we are ER'ed.

Back
Top Bottom