Security system - Unmonitored or Monitored?

I recently installed some Nest cameras outside. Today I was expecting a delivery of a very expensive medication via UPS. I received an email saying the item was delivered to my front door. Looked for it and it was nowhere to be found. I checked my camera video and saw the UPS truck stop in front of the house at the time the email indicated delivery. However, the driver never got out of the truck even though the package was scanned as delivered. I quickly called UPS to report the package wasn't delivered despite the notice. They first said their records showed delivery. Then I revealed I had video the driver never approached the front door or even left his truck for the two minutes it sat there. I also told them this was medication in the package. Within 20 minutes the driver was back at my house with the package making excuses. I hope they fire him!

We have monitored security system and I guess we're lucky. The one false alarm we had, the police beat us to the house.

At the risk of being called a Luddite, I will admit that I just installed a POE wired camera system. Yes, wireless can be a bit easier, but it's not really wireless unless you use battery powered cameras. These seem more like toys to me. The wireless bandwidth can suffer, depending on the number of cameras you install. I like the reliability of wires.

Light timers help. I REALLY like our fake TV light. It really does look like a TV is on through the blinds/curtains.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydreon-Corporation-FTV-10-US-Burglar-Deterrent/dp/B003S5SOLG

My first husband and I had an extensive security system installed years ago, including motion detectors inside the house. It was monitored and it became such a PITA we stopped activating the motion detector. And of course you couldn't have the windows open and the alarm system armed.

I'm considering getting a system in our current house after DH is gone but it will be unmonitored. At the very least I want a front door camera and motion-sensing lights near the doors and windows at ground level. SimpliSafe's optional monitoring might be a good idea when I travel.

I am putting cable and internet wires in the soffits at each corner of my house as I build it. I haven't decided on what type of camera or exactly where they will go, but I will be wired for all eventualities. I will also wire all the windows and doors for a security system. I don't lock my door up here most of the time, but doing a self monitored security system when I am away would be good.

In my last house I had a self monitored wired system including interior motion detector and never had any problems with it. I can't remember the motion detector ever going off except when I tested it and we had a small dog.

I am putting cable and internet wires in the soffits at each corner of my house as I build it.
I would recommend that you "future-proof" your new house by laying empty conduit anywhere it might be needed in the future (to the corners under the soffit, accessible from a convenient spot in the attic, to at least one empty 4" box with a cover plate in each BR and large common areas, etc and leading to a convenient access point at a rim sill, basement, attic, or elsewhere). Nobody knows what the next comm cable/low voltage power standard will be, or if wireless will affordably replace it all, but having empty, >well labelled< conduit put in now (with "pull-line already in place) so you can easily upgrade will likely make your life easier.

We have monitored security system and I guess we're lucky. The one false alarm we had, the police beat us to the house.

At the risk of being called a Luddite, I will admit that I just installed a POE wired camera system. Yes, wireless can be a bit easier, but it's not really wireless unless you use battery powered cameras. These seem more like toys to me. The wireless bandwidth can suffer, depending on the number of cameras you install. I like the reliability of wires.

Light timers help. I REALLY like our fake TV light. It really does look like a TV is on through the blinds/curtains.

https://www.amazon.com/Hydreon-Corporation-FTV-10-US-Burglar-Deterrent/dp/B003S5SOLG

There is a use for all those old CRT tv's in the basement :LOL:

I would recommend that you "future-proof" your new house by laying empty conduit anywhere it might be needed in the future (to the corners under the soffit, accessible from a convenient spot in the attic, to at least one empty 4" box with a cover plate in each BR and large common areas, etc and leading to a convenient access point at a rim sill, basement, attic, or elsewhere). Nobody knows what the next comm cable/low voltage power standard will be, or if wireless will affordably replace it all, but having empty, >well labelled< conduit put in now (with "pull-line already in place) so you can easily upgrade will likely make your life easier.

Thanks for the tip. I am going to take a picture of each wall prior to dry wall and annotate it with measurements to wires and cables, etc. I wasn't planning to run Cat6 to all the bedrooms. Only the one that will be my office. With your thoughts, I may go ahead and run the cable behind the walls. I will be able to put a large conduit in the dropped ceiling of the home theater. It will run from the electronics closet at one end of the house to the mechanical room under the office/bedroom at the other. I will also have access into the attic space above the cathedral ceiling and be able to run cables up there. I haven't decided if I should add a conduit up there.

I quickly called UPS to report the package wasn't delivered despite the notice. They first said their records showed delivery. Then I revealed I had video the driver never approached the front door or even left his truck for the two minutes it sat there.

Stories like this make me wonder if I should invest in home surveillance equipment and a dash cam for the car. Seems easy for a person to deny doing something unless I have video of the actual event that shows what really happened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom