Sedona AZ

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am looking to spend a few days in Sedona this Spring and am looking for hotel recommendations. Yes, I know it will be crowded. I'm hoping that by stopping there for a few nights mid-week, it will be less so.

I would like a hotel that is centrally located with restaurants, galleries, shops within walking distance. It would be nice if there were some trails to walk on within walking distance also. Any suggestions?

No hotel knowledge but you might enjoy a Pink Jeep Tour. We thought it was really interesting. You have to reserve in advance.

We took a hot air balloon ride that was great Attached is our trip story

Attachments

• Sunrise Over Sedona2008.pdf
    653 KB · Views: 7
No hotel knowledge but you might enjoy a Pink Jeep Tour. We thought it was really interesting. You have to reserve in advance.

+1 on the Pink Jeep tours.

For hotels, we have had good luck booking on Hotwire. If you run the query 2-3 times, you'll see what hotel comes up each time in the sample group so you'll have a pretty good clue as to which one you'll get. We have never been disappointed.

We’ve stayed at Enchantment Resort before and it was great. And a Best Western in West Sedona. And at a couple of Airbnb’s. All were nice. Staying at the Hilton Sedona Resort at Bell Rock in March. I’ve read good reviews on this place.

We stayed at Lodge of Sedona 4-5 times, while we were still drawing a salary. The town sort of grew up around it but Google maps still shows some open space. We walked everywhere.

Out by Enchantment Resort is Boynton Canyon Trail one of our favorites in the area.

Sedona Arizona Finest Romantic Bed & Breakfast Hotel| Lodge at Sedona|Sedona Hotel|Romantic Lodging & Accommodation at Lodge at Sedona| Sedona Romance & Weddings| Grand Canyon Lodging & Accommodation, Four Diamond Dog Friendly AZ Lodging & Hotel|Awar

Last edited:
Love the Sedona area. An absolutely beautiful hike, that is very manageable, is West Fork trail. It follows along a river and leads you through a beautiful canyon. The elevation gain is fairly easy so it makes a great day hike. Bring a lunch and you’ll have a beautiful morning or afternoon.

We’ve stayed at Enchantment Resort before and it was great. And a Best Western in West Sedona. And at a couple of Airbnb’s. All were nice. Staying at the Hilton Sedona Resort at Bell Rock in March. I’ve read good reviews on this place.

Heading to Sedona in 2 weeks for 2 days. I first tried to book Enchantment but they require a 3 day stay. My second choice was LAuberge de Sedona. Booked but a bit pricy (has great reviews), I plan to do the Pink Jeep as well. Ill report back!

Have stayed here (Sedona Real Inn and Suites) it was okay.
https://www.sedonareal.com/

Wanted to stay here (Sky Ranch Lodge)
https://skyranchlodge.com/

We love Sedona and have visited several times. We stayed at Sky Ranch Lodge our first trip and enjoyed it so much that we have continued to stay on each of our subsequent visits. It is right beside the Airport Mesa viewing area where visitors come every day to view the sunset; Sky Ranch has their own viewing area. If you are into the vortex thing, the Airport Mesa vortex is close by and easily accessible.

I took a road trip out west 3-4 years ago and Sedona was one of my favorite spots along the way. Great hiking trails and lot's of good restaurants. I stayed at the below hotel and it was okay. Not the best but not the worst either. Pretty good location imo.
https://www.arabellahotelsedona.com/

Last edited:
We stayed at Adobe Grand Villas. It was highly rated somewhere. We stayed in the "Vision Room", which was like living in a work of modern art. Great breakfast, centrally located.

We hiked to the top of Devil's Bridge. Not too hard (back then at least), but an amazing experience. We drove, so I'm not sure what trails might be easy to access from the hotels. Many sights are close to the roads.

I am going there end of march and am looking at the Hyatt Residence Club (I prefer timeshares/condos over hotels and this one looks nice).

Heading to Sedona in 2 weeks for 2 days. I first tried to book Enchantment but they require a 3 day stay. My second choice was LAuberge de Sedona. Booked but a bit pricy (has great reviews), I plan to do the Pink Jeep as well. Ill report back!

We stayed at LAuberge a couple times in 07-09 very nice. Hopefully it hadn't changed.

We'd also stayed in a historic place in Jerome. It was up over salon and maybe was used for other things back in the day. Cramped, noisy and smelled like 100 year old cigars. Wouldn't recommend.

Last edited:

You may want to book your Pink Jeep tour now if you know your schedule. Try to get the Broken Arrow tour if you don't mind the most thrilling tour.

On our first visit to Sedona we waited until the last day to do the helicopter tour. Really recommend doing that tour on the first day so you will have some ideas on how to plan the rest of your time there.
The Chapel of the holy Cross was a nice self guided tour too.

We rented our own UTV in Sedona and really enjoyed it. Next time we rent in that area, I will be better prepared with my own trail maps.

We stayed at LAuberge a couple times in 07-09 very nice. Hopefully it hadn't changed.

We'd also stayed in a historic place in Jerome. It was up over salon and maybe was used for other things back in the day. Cramped, noisy and smelled like 100 year old cigars. Wouldn't recommend.

OK just got back last evening from LAuberge in Sedona. I also went to Enchantment to look around. Both were very nice. LAuberge is in town (very convenient) while Enchantment is 25 minutes away from town (very large property).Both are expensive and I had them bump me up to a nice cabin on the creek. Bottom line the place is beautiful and should be on your bucket list. But after a 2 day trip I had seen enough to fill my bucket. Too many small shops that sell the same tourist indian silver jewelry. Also this has to be the ground zero for psychic readers.

Lastly, the top of the trip was the pink Jeep. We did the Broken Arrow trip (2.5 hours and roughly $90 PP). But no complaints from me. Tons of fun there.

You know how "old people" you met growing up would wax nostalgic about certain places and times? How they would sigh and say something like, "You shoulda seen it back in the day...you should have seen it back then...It was unbelievably wonderful...you have no idea."
And how that just annoyed you to no end?
Well, you've been warned...

My stepfather was a realtor in the Phoenix area in the late 60s. He met and married my mother around 1970. Then, shortly after, out of the blue, he took a job as a sales rep at the then new development, The Village of Oak Creek, 8 miles south of Sedona. We moved up there in 1972.

There was nothing there. My siblings and I were mad as hell! We were "city kids"! What were we going to do for fun in the Verde Valley?!!!!

I'll tell you what we did.

We ran cross country in the National Forest for hours on end, never seeing another person. We skinny-dipped in Beaver Creek. We climbed to the very top of Bell Rock. We looked at the Milky Way every night...drove on the back roads using only the light of the moon. (Funny story: After moving up there, I kept seeing this "white cloud" in the non-light-polluted night sky EVERY NIGHT and I asked my new friends what it was..."It's the Milky Way, you idiot.") Pristine high desert beauty and, no joke, the best weather on the planet. Warm but not uncomfortably hot in the summer; terrific "monsoon" thunderstorms nearly every afternoon in late summer. Crisp fall colors in Oak Creek Canyon, just a touch of snow in Winter...snow on the red rocks? Oh my...like powdered sugar.

My family finally sold off the last property there about 5 years ago.
I can't go back any more. The development and overload of tourists breaks my heart. But I don't fault people who still move and visit there...my family was just like them, just a lot longer ago. Yeah, it had problems like any small town...my stepfather battled with the bottle...there were teenager problems...(back then it was beer and pot)...but...I am so grateful I had the time there when it was relatively untouched.
It's about the only experience of a place that I feel qualified to crow about.

Sigh...
You have no idea.

P.S. That's me with a can in my hand by the post. We were building our first house at the time.

Attachments

• VOC.jpg
    VOC.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Sedona016.jpg
    Sedona016.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 40
  • Sedona009.jpg
    Sedona009.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 40
My stepfather was a realtor in the Phoenix area in the late 60s. He met and married my mother around 1970. Then, shortly after, out of the blue, he took a job as a sales rep at the then new development, The Village of Oak Creek, 8 miles south of Sedona. We moved up there in 1972...

I first visited Sedona and Oak Creek in 1975. In the early 80s, traffic through town was already bad on weekends. I almost bought an empty lot as an investment in the early 90s. Recently, looked again out of curiosity and saw some empty lots still there, and not appreciating much from that time I had an interest.

There was a ruckus recently about a housing shortage. It appeared that many homes were converted into Airbnbs, and the workers there could not afford rent.

But back on where to stay for visitors, most recently, we spent a week there a couple of years ago. It was at the Arroyo Roble Resort (we stayed in a 1,200-sq.ft. condo), but it was a timeshare exchange. Just look and see that it is not open to the public. If you have membership in RCI, perhaps you can rent there.

We stayed in a VRBO for 10 days last March near Crescent Moon park. Walking the downtown shops is fun, and we did some hikes looking for good photography.

Attachments

• IMG_2424FB.jpg
    IMG_2424FB.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2449FB.jpg
    IMG_2449FB.jpg
    983.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2499fb.jpg
    IMG_2499fb.jpg
    771.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5472fb.jpg
    IMG_5472fb.jpg
    820.3 KB · Views: 31
Bottom line the place is beautiful and should be on your bucket list. But after a 2 day trip I had seen enough to fill my bucket. Too many small shops that sell the same tourist indian silver jewelry. Also this has to be the ground zero for psychic readers.

Yes, we have always found it to be a mixed bag. The hero is the setting. The psychics and crystals, not so much.

Glad you did a Jeep tour!

We stayed in a VRBO for 10 days last March near Crescent Moon park. Walking the downtown shops is fun, and we did some hikes looking for good photography.

Those pictures are tremendous! What's your camera setup?

Back
Top Bottom