Seek help to transfer data to a newer Laptop

rkser

Full time employment: Posting here.
A computer High School Drop out here, need help.

I need to transfer all Data & Software from Lenovo old T410 to E495.

I loved using Lenovo T410 with SSD & on occasions still do, last year I purchased a Lenovo E495 with SSD which I predominantly use now.
I back up with both Google & as well as I cloud, for both of which I pay monthly, I save family pictures on my I phone.

(I tried transferring data using Google Drive to newer Laptop, but am unable to make out where that data now is).

I used 2019 TurboTax Disc Premier on my old Laptop to do my Taxes, and want to do taxes with 2020 Turbotax Disc on the new Laptop. So turbotax 2019 Data is important to transfer

I have a Samsung SSD T5 External Drive with USB C which I can use for the Data transfer. Although, If possible I prefer a transfer of all the Software and Data (A replica).

Thanks in advance for any help.

As far as I know, there’s no way to transfer all the data and software. As you said, a replica. You can clone the existing disk which would do what you’re suggesting, however, I don’t think the cloned drive, which would be exactly the same as the one in your old machine would work in your new machine. I’m not positive of this and maybe given that they are both Lenovo it could be possible, but I doubt it. There would be internal differences that the system files would need to have be different.

As for the where your saved files are, it’s hard to advise over the internet without being able to see your file structure. If you saved something to your Google drive, it should be there. Maybe it’s in a folder that you’re not seeing.

As for your Turbo Tax file, that will be in the Turbo Tax folder created by the program unless you saved it to a different location (I do). Best think to do would be to search for it. All my TT files have my last name in the file name and they end with the .tax2019 extension.

Good luck.

Easeus software I came to know is a suspect software from a foreign company, it has horrible reviews on Amazon & is not available/approved on Microsoft Windows store.

Anyway, my experience - After downloading the free version on one computer, upon googling the software, the reviews on Amazon alerted me to delete the software from my Laptop without running it.

I am back to square one, looking for ways to transfer the data to the newer Laptop.

Install the 2020 Turbotax in the new machine. On the old machine find the data files for the 2019 Turbotax and copy them. Recreate the same folder structure on the new machine and paste them in.

I have probably about 97% of my important data in a folder I created.

A name like "John Doe's Data". I used to let programs save data in their default folders but to avoid the situation like the OP, started putting data in a "John Doe's Data" folder which makes backing up so much easier.

For example, my turbotax data is in a folder called Taxes which contains other tax stuff along with the turbotax data.

I got the Turbo Tax Data transferred to the new Laptop.

Thanks every body, I appreciate your help

Back
Top Bottom