Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
In USD hit the 2 comma club in total net worth.

I'll very likely dive back down in the next few years given the current insane markets and my upcoming fight against the tax man, but still.

Became a Vanguard Flagship Select Services client this year. Not too many that I can share that with.:dance:

What is the trigger point for that? And what services does that get you?

I ask because we're close to moving things from 401ks to either Vanguard or FIDO, and I want to compare what they offer.

Finally set the date for DW's retirement... 3/31/18. We originally thought that would happen 1 year ago, but due to ACA and our goofy Congress/gov't, we were left in the lurch about healthcare. Now we've figured out a workaround for the short-term.

NW just passed $2.5M, about 1/4 of that in rental properties. Our goal was $2.2M, so this gives us a bit of breathing room when the market turns down/corrects.

We have also reduced our risk by pulling about $500k out of the market slowly over the past year...so a downturn will not hurt too badly.

I have also set my FIRE date, 10/1/18. I am a part-time licensed home inspector and most of my licenses (termite, radon, inspection, etc.) expire at that time so seems like a logical choice of dates.

Looking forward to this fall!

I just reached $2.75M including the house equity. Next goal is $2.75M without the house equity. That's the retirement goal right now. If the market keeps going strong, I may see this in about 2-3 years. And then I'll just have to decide where I am and whether I'll start the OMY syndrome.

Milestone: Age 62, started SS. All living expenses covered by pension and SS. Monthly IRA withdrawals stopped. Right on schedule. I love it when a plan comes together!

Congrats....DW and I are at the same point 850k or so with me being 57 and DW 63. Plan on walking away at 59 and both have good healthy pensions totaling @about 85k until I can collect SS, and then things get more fun lol.
Again congrats...

Yeah, I guess if I counted our pensions and SS according to life expectancies in our overall NW, we would be worth over 3-million...lol

LOL! I like that and you do need to spend more money. LOL

Yeah Baby!

I'm thinking I will put a big dent in the stash this year by yet another FIRE milestone, the first new car I buy. I'm thinking 2018 Lincoln Continental with most of the goodies;

400 HP twin turbo with torque vectored AWD
30 way power seats
19 speaker stereo
moon roof
And I need those lights that turn on when it senses you coming - :)

Should be around 80 grand! Blow That Dough - :)

On page 3 of this thread (March 2013) I posted that I hoped to hit a NW of 500k that year and luckily I did. This Friday I hit 1M in NW. Although it's unlikely the market will be so kind in the next 5 years I hope to be retired by then and be able to refer back to this post with an equally positive outcome.

Less than 3 years to go

My milestone is this:

I could retire now if I wanted to be frugal, but I don't want to be THAT frugal.

I can retire at the end of 2018 and live a similar lifestyle to most of my friends (who would still be working to afford that lifestyle).

I can retire at the end of 2019 and live better than my current lifestyle.

Of course, all of this depends on a lot of things. But it's reassuring to know that in a worst case scenario (lose job immediately), I'll still be fine. And every month that I work past today gives me another $100/month to spend in retirement. January 2019 will be the real milestone - the time when I can comfortably retire at any minute.

I also want to work for as long as I can stand it (max 3 years) because I'd like to get into the market correction before I do so, in order to re-evaluate.

My milestone is this:

I could retire now if I wanted to be frugal, but I don't want to be THAT frugal.

I can retire at the end of 2018 and live a similar lifestyle to most of my friends (who would still be working to afford that lifestyle).

I can retire at the end of 2019 and live better than my current lifestyle.

Of course, all of this depends on a lot of things. But it's reassuring to know that in a worst case scenario (lose job immediately), I'll still be fine. And every month that I work past today gives me another $100/month to spend in retirement. January 2019 will be the real milestone - the time when I can comfortably retire at any minute.

I also want to work for as long as I can stand it (max 3 years) because I'd like to get into the market correction before I do so, in order to re-evaluate.

That means you’re saving $30k/month. Good on ya!

That means you’re saving $30k/month. Good on ya!

Someone's good at math. :)

The math is the easy part; the saving is the hard part; you’re to be commended. :bow:

BTW, since you’re investigating part time work and are a Doc, you may want to consider part-time “doctoring.” We have a friend who retired a few years ago as an Emergency Room Doc, and was easily able to work part time. I’m sure it depends on your specialty and, given your description of the work environment you might have to do it at another employer but, just a thought. It must be pretty renumerative as part time gigs go.

Last edited:
Yay Us!!!!

This week, we crossed $2M in net worth.

It took 15 years working/scrimping/saving and sacrifice to get out of $650K in debt and cross the $1M NW mark. The second million required only 5 years and substantially less effort. I can't believe that the little snowball we started 20 years ago by saving pennies in a jar to pay off debt has grown to make us multimillionaires. We are overwhelmed and thankful, yet determined and optimistic about the future.

Yay for us!

:dance::dance::dance:

I paid my house off today. I retired early 3 years ago & have finally relaxed enough about the finances to retire my final debt.

Yay !! Congrats. It must feel great to have ZERO debt. My only debt left is home mortgage. Can't wait for it to go away :)

It took 15 years working/scrimping/saving and sacrifice to get out of $650K in debt and cross the $1M NW mark. The second million required only 5 years and substantially less effort. I can't believe that the little snowball we started 20 years ago by saving pennies in a jar to pay off debt has grown to make us multimillionaires. We are overwhelmed and thankful, yet determined and optimistic about the future.

Yay for us!

YAY !!

Yay for us!

Yay for you!! Congratulations!

Congrats SkeetShooter. Well done!!!!
Getting closer myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom