Share your FIRE Milestones - 2013- 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a sting. Was tough to log in and look at my balances today, but this is part of the game. I predict that the bottom has already been reached, JMO. The virus thing is real, but in the grand scheme of things, and considering all other economic indicators, I am not all that concerned.....

I have no science or any facts backing my 2¢ prediction but my unintelligent guess it isn't near the bottom yet.

I have no science or any facts backing my 2¢ prediction but my unintelligent guess it isn't near the bottom yet.

This one has a panic psyche to it and I too feel we are headed down further perhaps much further until we realize it has passed and was not as bad as all the reports (I hope).

IF supply chains get stretched and manufacturing is stopped and all the companies are reporting they can't make stuff....well it will get real interesting from a market prospective.

Yah my exact same thought. We depend to much on others and the markets are a world wide affair. When others don't de well it drags us down even if our times a good.

IF supply chains get stretched and manufacturing is stopped and all the companies are reporting they can't make stuff....well it will get real interesting from a market prospective.

This is already beginning to happen. An acquaintance of mine is a senior corporate officer for a company that does a lot of manufacturing in China. Five of their manufacturing plants in China were shut down due to coronavirus, with employees quarantined at home. They are slowly getting permission to reopen on a very limited scale after each individual employee is screen and evaluated for whether or not the employee can go back to work.

I don't know what the expectation is for when they can return to full operations.

ANYWAY, back to the topic of the thread.

Oof, I just barely passed my last big milestones...on the way down! Luckily, I'm still in the accumulation phase, so it's just another chance to keep buying in while the market is down!

Right? Right?!? ;)

I was 0.3% away from my official FI number. Now 9% away. So I figure this one is all my fault - tempting fate and such. Sorry, folks.

:peace:

I was 0.3% away from my official FI number. Now 9% away. So I figure this one is all my fault - tempting fate and such. Sorry, folks.

:peace:

Don't worry, I think I had a hand in it, too. On February 19 I was actually about 2.4% OVER my official FI number. But now I'm about 9.6% under. :-\

Don't worry, I think I had a hand in it, too. On February 19 I was actually about 2.4% OVER my official FI number. But now I'm about 9.6% under. :-\

2m will come again.:)

2m will come again.:)

Oh yeah, I know it will, in time. FWIW, I'm knocked back down to roughly where I was back in late September/early October. Only difference is, at the time I was perfectly happy with that total. Now it seems like a setback!

But, eventually, things will improve, and it will all just seem like a distant memory. And over time, it will probably seem like an insignificant blip. Just like how the October-December 2018 period seemed bad, at the time. But now it seems like no big deal.

Welp, easy come, easy go!

If I wasn't around in 2007/8, this volatility would drive me nuts.

Losing 300k in a matter of a few days is definitely jarring.

2.9m->3.1m->2.8m->2.85m

Good luck, folks!

Welp, easy come, easy go!

If I wasn't around in 2007/8, this volatility would drive me nuts.

Losing 300k in a matter of a few days is definitely jarring.

2.9m->3.1m->2.8m->2.85m

Good luck, folks!

It is not a loss if you did not sell. My number is down larger. Good luck to you too.

I think I might have set a new record yesterday, for biggest one-day gain ever. My portfolio was up about $112,000, rising from around $1.510M to $1.622M

But on the flip side, 3/12 might have been my biggest one-day drop ever: $1.659M to $1.510M, a lost of around $149,000. And wow, it just hit me...from my $2.048M peak on 2/19, to 3/12, I lost over a half-million dollars!

It's kinda funny, what a disconnect on perspective there can be. I can lost a half-mil in retirement accounts, and not really worry about it, yet if I lost a $20 out of my wallet, I'd have a fit. I guess the difference though, is that half-mil loss will bounce back, eventually. But if I lose that $20, it's gone. And I feel like an idiot for losing it.

And it's funny too how I know if I lost 50K with a time tested proven mix of index funds, I'd be OK. Not great but OK. But I've lost that having ventured into a few of my own DIY picks (REITs, CLOs, preferred, floating rate, etc.) and feel completely irresponsible.

It is not a loss if you did not sell. My number is down larger. Good luck to you too.

Thanks, yea, trying to buy some more on the way down!

Well.. that means you have more in equities than me, so hopefully, your gains have been much larger in the past ten years also. :)

Not the milestone I was looking for but here it goes, today is the first time I ever lost over $300k in a single day. Hopefully it won't happen very often...
It's happening quite often now... Today another record... $800k loss in a day.... [emoji51]

I made the mistake of checking my various accounts tonight including my 401k plan. We’re down about 200k just from my accounts. That number grows if I’d include my wife’s accounts but she’s smart enough to not even bother checking her balances.

It’s quite a paper loss. As it stands now these kinds of losses could impact my timetable for retirement.

I realize that eventually the markets will recover. But I also understand it could take a while and things could get worse before they get better.

I’ve been through challenging financial times before but I guess the raw numbers are more impressively bad for me this time. The good news is I haven’t done any panic selling. I’m sticking with my plan.

I looked. One good thing about having saved too much for retirement is that I'm still 100% on FIREcalc. Even though we shouldn't have to touch the portfolio for 5 years, the loss isn't any fun.

I ran my numbers for 3/16/2020, and was down 26.29% YTD. A bit worse, if you look at the drop from 2/19/2020, when I was up around 4.67%.

Now, it came back some yesterday, but looks like it's more than making up for that on the down side today, so I'm sure it's going to get uglier.

It definitely helps to look at it as a percentage, rather than a raw dollar amount. Saying I'm down about 31% sounds a bit better than saying I just lost ~$600,000! :facepalm:

But, on the plus side, I just got a 3% raise at w*rk! Kicked in the same day I started telecommuting! :)

Three weeks ago, I posted about having dipped below $1.6M. That looks pretty good compared to yesterday after my portfolio rising above the $1.4M mark. Like many of you, I have had a lot of days where I lost $50k or $75k only to gain some of it back the next day.

As long as main bond fund pays its normal 3 cents per share dividend at the end of the month, I won't be too worried.

As long as main bond fund pays its normal 3 cents per share dividend at the end of the month, I won't be too worried.

O remembered that I can find out how my big bond fund is doing with regard to its monthly dividend so far this month. I asked them what their Daily Mil Rate is for the fund through yesterday, March 22. The monthly dividend is on pace for 3 cents per share, so it hasn't eroded. (Whew!) This rather obscure value means far more to me than its NAV fluctuations.

Still 100% on firecalc, but that's including SS and pension. Heck, we'd be 100% on firecalc with just CD's, I bonds and EE bonds. The big question is SS and pension.

It's a sting. Was tough to log in and look at my balances today, but this is part of the game. I predict that the bottom has already been reached, JMO. The virus thing is real, but in the grand scheme of things, and considering all other economic indicators, I am not all that concerned.....

Might want to reconsider that thought....I’m predicting more like 16-17000 as a bottom. The US isn’t even on the steep part of the rise yet in detections & deaths.

I broke the $1.6M barrier on 4/8/2020. Let the good times roll! :dance:

(ignoring the fact that I had broken the $2M barrier briefly in January, and again in February...)

I broke the $1.6M barrier on 4/8/2020. Let the good times roll! :dance:

(ignoring the fact that I had broken the $2M barrier briefly in January, and again in February...)
:LOL:
Good idea, never count them on the way down, only on the way up! So, you can look forward to breaking $2M again...eventually!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom