Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

Our plan was semi retirement and it’s been one year as of July 8 for me, three years for DW. We seem to drink coffee until around 11 a.m. then head off to spend the afternoons earning the dough our plan calls for doing our enjoyable, work from home, work when we want to, no boss or employees, activities. Then I start making dinner around 5:30. Life is good and is just what we built intentionally!

Finally, today (Aug. 5, 2021), Liquid Investments (before & after tax) surpassed the $1 Million mark for the first first time. This excludes the house, cars, and all other material stuff. :)

Our net worth excluding house equity finally crossed $1M last week at age 33. Took about 8 combined years of work between wife and I. Hopefully the next million won’t take nearly as long. Let’s see if this compounding interest magic works as well as they say

To us, its not something that we will ever touch (meaning sell or borrow against.) For now, we will live in in at least another 30 years if not forever. Since we will never put our house up as collateral, our home will never pay our bills, it'll never feed us or pay for vacations. Our investments will.

For retirement planning, including our house in our NW is meaningless. We are only interested in knowing how much our funds that we plan on living off of are worth. Since our home does not generate $$, its not included.

I know including home is a touchy subject. Different strokes for different folks. In my eyes, it pads people's numbers. If our house generated income, we would include it. If we had rentals, they would also be included.

I don’t include our house when I am thinking of investable money. I would include it in a description of our net worth. Much depends on the context and the question. If the question is a pure accounting issue, then of course it needs to be included if you are using the definition of assets minus liabilities. Then of course you are using a lot of items likes cars, bikes, refrigerators, etc. that would add to your net worth but not be something you can invest in the usual sense.

So, if the question is what do you have that you can invest FREEE of any liabilities (such as a mortgage or other loan), then one does not include home equity.

But let’s say one rents and does not own. One does not have a house asset except insofar as one has a leasehold right. Would you, on your terminology, deduct anything for that person? If not, why not? The renter is not similarly situated to a homeowner who cannot earn income on his/her home. Would you deduct from net worth for the net present value of the expected stream of rent payments?

I am not trying to provoke in the least. The question is really simply one of terminology in the end. The term “net worth” is a poor one to describe liquid monetary assets available to invest, or income producing assets.

I do think that when HNW, VHNW and UHNW terms are defined, they speak to liquid investable assets or assets held for investment that are not art, cars, furniture,planes, etc. E.g. I think only real estate held for investment probably qualifies, in addition to cash, stocks, bonds, etc.

Thought I'd tell a bunch of faceless folks on the internet that we paid off our mortgage today. :dance:

We had a 30 yr loan at 6% which we refinanced after 6 years to a 15 yr - 3.25% in 2012. We had been paying it down gradually but did so with vigor this past year or so. The last straw was that Navy Fed was late pulling out my payment on Jul 1. With only $17k owed ...... (BOOM)!

Nice to be entirely debt free. Now if only my wife would give a firm date to stop working.

congrats on that one, it is a very cool thing to see no balance owed on the home.
She will get there. :)

My annual dividends exceed my annual withdrawals!:dance:

That must be a fantastic feeling ! :dance:

For myself, I realized today that I may have as few as 100 working days left before my part time ER becomes full time.

100 working days on the wall (calendar), 100 working days.
Waste today dealing with imbeciles..
99 working days left on the wall (calendar)

Hit $2MM invested assets today. $1MM was May of 2014, so a bit over 7 years. And that in spite of liquidating about $300K to start our business last year. I'll take it! Thanks Mr. Market!

All in index funds to reach $1M to $2M?
Mostly. About 5% of the portfolio is in individual stocks that were depressed by the pandemic (e.g. SNA, NCLH, CUK) which have been a not insignificant boost to performance in the last year, but otherwise VTSAX makes up the bulk of the investments. I have some in the TSP G fund as well.

Mostly. About 5% of the portfolio is in individual stocks that were depressed by the pandemic (e.g. SNA, NCLH, CUK) which have been a not insignificant boost to performance in the last year, but otherwise VTSAX makes up the bulk of the investments. I have some in the TSP G fund as well.

I have VTSAX in my taxable account.

2nd major milestone reached today, first was planning my milestones:) Mega Corp flexible working policy has allowed me to become a TWaT :D, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday.:dance:

¡Dos comas!

After updating our accounts in Microsoft Money last weekend, this is the number I saw at the bottom of the screen:

NW in MS Money.jpg

I don't want to restart the "should I include my house in my net worth?" discussion, so I'll just follow MS Money's lead and call it our "Total Account Balance". (This number does include a very conservative estimate of our home's value, as well as the associated loan.)

As many have stated, it doesn't go as far as it used to, but it still feels like a nice milestone! :dance:

That is a beautiful sight! Congratulations.

After updating our accounts in Microsoft Money last weekend, this is the number I saw at the bottom of the screen:

View attachment 39869

I don't want to restart the "should I include my house in my net worth?" discussion, so I'll just follow MS Money's lead and call it our "Total Account Balance". (This number does include a very conservative estimate of our home's value, as well as the associated loan.)

As many have stated, it doesn't go as far as it used to, but it still feels like a nice milestone! :dance:

How is the MM different from Mint?

View attachment 39869

Congratulations! As far or not, that is a lot of digits and commas.

How is the MM different from Mint?

I've never used Mint so I can't offer a direct comparison.

In case you're not aware, Microsoft Money was discontinued in 2009. It still works on Windows 10, but the online features have been disabled. I have stuck with it since I have so many years of data in it, and there are some workarounds for what I want to do with it. I might switch to using something else in the future, but for now it still meets my needs.

Back
Top Bottom