Share Your FIRE Milestones - 2021

t401k = FXAIX 85%, VSCPX 15%. Would this be the closest thing to VTSAX?

Roth IRA = FZROX

Taxable = VTSAX.

Cool. VTSAX for the win!!!!

Finally hit $1 million-ended year close to $1.2 million, net worth $1.8 million.
Debt is on the decline as well- we only use one cc now.

Congratulations! Was the 1M in the stock market and the 1.8M include real estate?

We recently joined the 2 comma club but own no real estate which concerns me. Hoping we buy something in the next couple of years

Due to some expected expenses this coming year I decided to increase my withdrawal amount.

We have several income streams (rental income, mini pension, DH's SS). So our withdrawal is not the same as our spending.

Much of the nest egg is in tax deferred acounts - my IRAs, DH's IRAs, and an inherited IRA. Because the inherited IRA has an RMD - that's always the first draw for the annual expenses...

When I retired in 2014 I set $XX as my annual withdrawal from all accounts to supplement the other income sources. That was a 2.7% withdrawal rate.

I've pulled extra a few times... but never, mentally, changed it from the planned $XX/year. Withdrawals never exceeded 3.5% of the original retirement nest egg amount.

I decided that in 2022 I am going to pull 1.5 x $XX. (1/3 more). It's, coincidentally 2.7% of current next egg. Feels weird to be loosening the purse strings. Not quite ready to ship in lobster and caviar.... but it's more money for gas for the Scooby van LOL.

Haha, you don't have to ship it in, Catalina Offshore is right next door!

The wife and I officially entered multimillionaire status in 2021 in our early-mid 50's. Just like entering millionaire status years ago I tally up the totals on a spread sheet January first and we are now a little over 2.1M. That's with $250k equity minus the mortgage balance so not a high percentage of total NW in the home.

I always heard the term thrown around and had to verify that 2M still qualified because to me 5M+ is where I always envisioned the term however 2M still technically stands. I always wondered what it would feel like being a multimillionaire and now I know. Feels exactly the same as before and I still don't feel rich lol.

Last edited:
I was able to close out 2021 above the $2.5M threshold, with invested assets. I actually hit that number a few times in November, but still closed out that month in the $2.4M range. But now that I'm above it, at the end of the year, it feels more "official" :dance:

It was kinda cool too, having to re-adjust the Y-axis on the graph in my Excel spreadsheet. It only went up to $2.5M, so the line went off the scale. Now that I've raised it to $3M, it doesn't look quite as impressive, but I'll take it!

Well no numerical mile$tones, but calendar one. Today I celebrate 5 years retired, and yesterday I was in the home office while DW was on her weekly call with her boss and told that she is announcing a retirement date in May this year. We'll spend the next week/months doing final tuning on this huge ass financial engine we have built over the last 35+ and ready it for startup in May. Numbers are looking very good......

I decided that in 2022 I am going to pull 1.5 x $XX. (1/3 more). It's, coincidentally 2.7% of current next egg. Feels weird to be loosening the purse strings. Not quite ready to ship in lobster and caviar.... but it's more money for gas for the Scooby van LOL.

Very nice, but that's actually 1/2 (50%) more!

Looking at all these posts make me smile to think of the way so many here have been blessed. I am also blessed beyond measure with a wife who has stuck with me for 50 1/2 yrs. and ability for us to retire and sit home making money for doing nothing. I just roughly thought about our net worth and investments, cash in checking/savings, + our house = $1,08,000 so I guess we are secret millionaires but still worry will it be enough? We have used about 60k of our ira's since we both retired in 2019 and they have still grown over 150k in that time. I thank many of you on this site for some of the things have learned by reading posts from you. I have gained inspiration from some like W2R and her upbeat spirit in spite of the trying circumstances she has faced. Some other sites/forums I have been in or am still in have so many smarta**es but here it is much more mellow and I thank the folks that moderate for that. My biggest milestone for 2021 was continuing to remain topside of earth in relative good health. Y'all HAGD!!!

My milestone also for 2021 has been good health, time and family. Our new daughter-in-law and new granddaughter have been a milestone we have been waiting many years for.

Blessed with so much and can be so humbling to have a life that we have.

Cool. VTSAX for the win!!!!

Congratulations! Was the 1M in the stock market and the 1.8M include real estate?

We recently joined the 2 comma club but own no real estate which concerns me. Hoping we buy something in the next couple of years

Yes about 500k is home equity. Our home value has increased by almost $200k in 4 years. I want to use it as the final rip cord when we are in our 80s to pay for rent and/or long term care. It should be well over $1 million by then.

Retired at 58 the summer of 2019, and closed out 2021 with $2.1m in retirement assets. :)

Passed through one of the million dollar milestones today.:dance:

Unfortunately, it was in the wrong direction.:facepalm:

For the first time in our lives we are able to invest
$1,500 per month every month. I and wife are retired and don't have ira or 401 so so this is all in taxable mutual funds mostly in Fidelity FZROX $1000 per month and Vanguard Wellesley and Vanguard Star split $250 per month in each. Age 62 in 2 months and will soon add SS to the investments which will be about 1,100 .probably $ about 900 after taxes. we likely will put an extra $500 in FZROX and put 200 each in Wellesley and Star fund.

FZROX took a beating all week long and lost some, but that dont bother us none, come 1st of every month we are still throwing $1000 at it I guess the fancy word is dollar cost averaging. Anyway might not make the 7 figure club but with steady investing and "God willing and the creek don"t rise" hopefully should at least make the 1/2 mil club.

Last edited:
ERObjd, nicely done and a that is a great milestone.

For the first time in our lives we are able to invest
$1,500 per month every month. I and wife are retired and don't have ira or 401 so so this is all in taxable mutual funds mostly in Fidelity FZROX $1000 per month and Vanguard Wellesley and Vanguard Star split $250 per month in each. Age 62 in 2 months and will soon add SS to the investments which will be about 1,100 .probably $ about 900 after taxes. we likely will put an extra $500 in FZROX and put 200 each in Wellesley and Star fund.

FZROX took a beating all week long and lost some, but that dont bother us none, come 1st of every month we are still throwing $1000 at it I guess the fancy word is dollar cost averaging. Anyway might not make the 7 figure club but with steady investing and "God willing and the creek don"t rise" hopefully should at least make the 1/2 mil club.

Please don't think I'm an expert but i wonder if delaying social security might have more value than some of the monthly savings.

$1M in taxable is my goal for retirement at age 50. I’m about 3/4 the way there.
The other goal is make it to age 50 & get kids into college (7 years left).
One more goal, is to lose 10 pounds (on day 2 of finally getting serious with intermittent fasting. Not setting a schedule for this goal ;)

$1M in taxable is my goal for retirement at age 50. I’m about 3/4 the way there.
The other goal is make it to age 50 & get kids into college (7 years left).
One more goal, is to lose 10 pounds (on day 2 of finally getting serious with intermittent fasting. Not setting a schedule for this goal ;)
To me the dieting goal is the most difficult. For others you can modify the behavior and perhaps battle with some old habits. Most of them will just fall in line with time(can't really make kids grow younger..) But being hungry makes me cranky and sleepy.

I now have soreness / light pain on my both hands and I am only 45. It is likely the symptoms for type 2 diabetes. Losing weight is my goal this year.

Back
Top Bottom