Sharing 23 years of Frugal Retirement

Update and Reflections

Update and Reflections
An update for friends here on ER, and a big "Hi!" to those who may be reading this thread for the first time.
It's a "cut to the chase" for those who don't want to go thru the agony of reading the many wordy posts, but might like to know what life might be like for someone who is likely "oldernu".
So here goes, in a dot-dash form. A recap and a look ahead.
-DW Jeanie and I are now in our 82nd year, and soon to celebrate 60 years of a very happy marriage.
-Figured out that we now have shared 30 years in the w*rkforce, and almost 30 years in retirement, since 1989.
-Four sons, one who will be 60 this year...yikes!.
-No earned income since 1989...25 years in management w/Sears and Montgomery Ward, and 5 years in my own business. (retired after a cancer scare)
-Retired with a total net worth of much less than what you'd believe, and without significant investment, have more than that today. Definitely not rich, but can't think of anything we missed, and feel confident for the future. New age target... 92 :)
-Health... minor stuff, but both limited to 1/2 year Dr.visits. Have come to grips with onset of dementia, and learning to deal with it without anxiety.
-Still living in our Liberty Village CCRC, in a regular 1500 s.f. home... anticipating future transfer to one-pay-for-all living expenses in the LV apartments.. hopefully not for another 6 or 7 years, but have no fear for the long term.
-Still live frugally but do whatever we want and spend freely... (not so in early years). Between SS of about 25K and another 15K from IBonds interest, we're still better off than when we retired in real $'s.

-Lifestyle
...Not much travel, just because we don't care to. Our 96 SLS Cadillac and 1998 Lincoln Town Car now have 86K and 114K miles, and still look as good as the day they were in the showroom. Imagine..total less than 6,000 miles per year. One oil change/yr.
...Very involved (both of us) in our CCRC activities... Jeanie plays bridge and hand/foot... I lead two discussion groups each week for Trivia and Memories, as well as holding computer classes and visiting patients in the memory care and nursing home sections of our village.
...Not as much physical fitness as we should, but weekly Tai Chi, neighborhood and mall walking and when the spirit moves, a half hour on our exercise bike.

-Good Things
... Just sold our Lake Griffin Harbor Florida home on May 1st... Loved our 25 years of 6 and six snowbirding, but too much troubole to do that any more. Nice thing... sold to a long time neighbor there, and have an open invite to go back anytime.
... Still have our Woodhaven Lakes Parkmodel place on Bass Lake. Total cost for dues, taxes, insurance and utilities less than $3K/yr. Will keep forever, till our kids take it over. Still working on wood seawall upgrade... (Local joke). Jeanie only goes there to make sure I stay out of trouble... She's given up on camping.
... We're totally at peace... Even the free floating anxiety is gone.
... Missed my 60th Bowdoin Alumni celebration in Maine, but heard from good friends, and swim team buddies. Four of the very best years that smoothed the path through life.

-Look to the future
... Yeah... Pretty exciting. Some of our best friends in the LV CCRC are in their late 90's, are sharp as a 40 year olds, and optimistic... Though....... more naps. :(
... Watch more TV and get involved in the news, with a care to the future. Indulge in non-confrontational on-line discussion groups.
... Ongoing newer project... personal time-based personal history that started out as an ego-centric obituary, but became fascinating, as we work together to remember our lives...
as kids, college, work, 22 full moves and people, places and events. Since Jeanie and I have been together as friends, classmates and married folk since 1945, we have a great time in the quiet hours doing the names-places-events thingy.

So we missed a lot I suppose... No international travel 'cept to Japan and Canada. Lived in 8 different U.S.States and have been in all of them.
Now no great ambitions or goals. The future is here... we're loving it. Not a financial success, but but safe and incredibly thankful and happy.

Taking this time, to wish you all the successful retirement that you've worked for. May you live long and share in the rewards that come in the later years in whatever you have planned.

regards,
bob

Imoldernu - I love your posts and read a bunch of your prior updates.
You help make us be able to look forward to enjoying our 80's when we get there.

Also always enjoy your posts, especially the updates on your long and happy retirement life. What a simple but joyous inspiration.

Also appreciate the comment somewhere in one of your posts, forget where now, about enjoying blueberry kefir. Made me try it (although now buy plain and mix in organic blueberries to avoid the added sugar) and it is great for digestive health and also a bit of an energy boost.

Imoldernu,

Thank you, for all the posts you have made recently to this forum, and for most of them long before I came to this forum, I would like to extend my personal appreciation for all of those efforts!

As the saying goes, “Silent gratitude is not much use to anyone”! Please accept these words as a token of my gratitude and my thanks for several of your posts that were remarkably well done!

Typically, all forums are organized and driven by a small group of enthusiastic people making very significant posts. The selfless manner in which you shared your time, knowledge, expertise, good humor and energy has been recognized and should serve as an example of excellence to others!

I very much appreciate you and your posts!!

Thanks for updating us Imoldernu. Your posts are helpful to many here. I'm grateful for all you've shared and look forward to hearing more over the years from you. Your future plans/activities look fun. Enjoy

imoldernu,

So glad to hear that you and your wife are doing well. And I love your positive, upbeat attitude.

Thanks for sharing your insights of a life well-lived and the look forward.

Wanted to mention that you were cited at a recent SW Florida meetup of forum members and their significant others as one of our forum favorites! :flowers::greetings10:

omni

Always look forward to your posts, Imoldernu! Thanks for the update, you and the missus are a shining example of good people enjoying their retirement.

So nice to hear these details of your current activities, imoldernu. It's a nice insight into CCRC life and how you two choose to fill your days now that you're less active. Thanks for all of your contributions to our friendly little online community here as well!

Thanks for the update.
This has always been one of my favorites threads on this forum.

Glad to hear that you are doing well and especially that you're Blowing More Dough - :)

Wonderful to read your update Imoldernu. Have learned much from your experiences. Thank you!

Thanks for the update. I also appreciate your insight and comments. Your knowledge and sharing has helped many that you are not even aware of.

Thank you, bob. Your fulfillment and quality life is an inspiration to me.

Thank you, imoldernu, for continuing to share your life and love story with us. It is truly inspiring and a great example of a life well lived.

Bob...thanks for the update. I echo the sentiments here and am so joyed to hear that you have lived (and continue to live!) a fantastic life.

I think this thread is one of the most relevant, important posts that is here on ER.org...and should be required reading for newcomers. It most definitely should be "pinned" to the top!

Bob (imoldernu), thank you for posting your updates - I read them with genuine interest. I recall that you were one of the folks who replied to my first post here. It's pleasing to see you aging gracefully, and with a peaceful and positive outlook, in spite of some difficulties. It was nice to read about how you both take pleasure in creating the "timeline" of your memories. Hope that you have whatever help you need - and that you continue to find many enjoyable and peaceful moments.

I appreciate you including us in your updates. Your comments about having low anxiety are particularly encouraging to me.

Thank you for all that you have contributed here. It's been significant in many ways.

Dear Bob,
Thank You for the continued updates and inspiration!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom