Simple question about ACA for married couples

Sojourner

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Can someone who is married (and living with their spouse, in the same household) apply for and receive an individual, subsidized health insurance plan via healthcare.org? IOW, is it possible to use one's own, personal income to be eligible for ACA premium subsidies and cost sharing discounts, as opposed to lumping all income together for married couples applying for ACA health insurance?

(I realize I could answer this myself by going through the signup process and modeling the two scenarios on healthcare.org, but I thought someone here might know the answer straightaway and thus save me from the hassle of doing that. And, if so, thanks!)

The expectation is that all income in the household contributes to health costs of the household.

Makes sense, I suppose. I was thinking that, perhaps, income could be "separated" for married folks who were applying for individual ACA coverage/plans, but I could see how that wouldn't be allowed from a tax perspective.

maybe if you file separately?
but not otherwise

Can't file separately and qualify for the subsidy.

I'm going through a divorce and we live in different states but we've each had to list the other's income on our 2022 application and agree that we'll file a joint tax return in order to get the subsidy.

Of course once the divorce is final in early 2022 we'll each have a "life event" and reapply as single.

I was also wondering what about my son (who graduates in May). So if he gets a job in May do we have to include his income?

How does the ACA figure household income if only one spouse is getting insurance through the ACA and the other is on Medicare?

How does the ACA figure household income if only one spouse is getting insurance through the ACA and the other is on Medicare?
That's been my situation since 2014. It's household income.
Maybe I'm not understanding your question?

Household income.
So this is the main reason why my DGF and I are not married yet. She is on Medicare and I am on the ACA.
It would otherwise cost my brother and I who is also on the ACA, a collective 23k a year.

I was also wondering what about my son (who graduates in May). So if he gets a job in May do we have to include his income?

The link I provided explained it. Basically if they are your dependent on your tax filings, they are your household. But you can't get credit for them as a dependent, and then leave them off for subsidies.

Back
Top Bottom