SmartPhone Cameras WOW!

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We just came back from a trip out East, and I took a bunch of photos with my standard iPhone 12, even duplicates of (low res) images I'd taken years ago. Now that I have uploaded them to my iMac and I can see them blown up some, I am amazed at how good they look. The resolution, exposure, focus, low light capability, bokeh etc. with the iPhone 12 is remarkable. I am sure the latest Samsung, Pixel, etc. are as good if not better. And I am not claiming they match a full frame Nikon/Canon/Sony DSLR - I used to have a high end Nikon with several lenses, but there's no way it's worth carrying around anymore for me. The example below isn't the best by any means, but I chose to attach it as it was shot with my iPhone 12 in extremely low light, a picture a dedicated point-and-shoot camera a few years ago couldn't even manage. [And the ER.org app has reduced resolution substantially, the original is 4032x3024, so you can't appreciate what it really looks like.]

The video I can take with my iPhone is equally impressive, no need to bother with a GoPro as I don't shoot in harsh conditions anymore.

Attachments

• IMG_2675.jpg
    IMG_2675.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
^Nice shot! I'm seeing the same thing with my iPhone 12. I had my dslr with 150-600mm lens on a while back and couldn't take a close up shot. Pulled my iPhone out and it took a great photo. Better than the big boy camera in the right conditions.

We just came back from a trip out East, and I took a bunch of photos with my iPhone 12, even duplicates of (low res) images I'd taken years ago. Now that I have uploaded them to my iMac and I can see them blown up some, I am amazed at how good they look. The resolution, exposure, focus, low light capability, bokeh etc. with the iPhone 12 is remarkable. I am sure the latest Samsung, Pixel, etc. are as good if not better. And I am not claiming they match a full frame Nikon/Canon/Sony DSLR - I used to have a high end Nikon with several lenses, but there's no way it's worth carrying around anymore for me. The example below was shot with my iPhone 12 in extremely low light, a picture a dedicated point-and-shoot camera a few years ago couldn't even manage. [And the ER.org app has reduced resolution substantially, the original is 4032x3024, so you can't appreciate what it really looks like.]

The video I can take with my iPhone is equally impressive, no need to bother with a GoPro as I don't shoot in harsh conditions anymore.

I agree! For my June trip to Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks, I made the huge decision to leave my big digital camera home and just used my iPhone. I don’t regret the decision one bit. The phone pics are more than adequate for my needs. I just left Acadia National Park for the day and I’m sure I’ll be happy with my phone pics again. It sure is much simpler.

Midpack, do you have the regular 12 or the 12 pro? If regular 12 then the pro may look even better!

I ordered a 13 today, which supposed has an even better camera than the 12.

IMG_0920.JPG
I agree with IPhone cameras quality. This picture taken with very low light at Lake Las Vegas from hotel room patio.
I am not a great photographer, the camera does all the work.

Midpack, do you have the regular 12 or the 12 pro? If regular 12 then the pro may look even better!

I ordered a 13 today, which supposed has an even better camera than the 12.
It's just the standard iPhone 12, I am sure the Pro is even more capable.
Midpack, where was that picture made? Ocracoke?
532 miles NE of Ocracoke as the crow flies...

Last edited:
I used to carry a backup camera on trips, but no longer as my phone Motorola G6 is my backup.

I've noticed it's very good at taking videos of stage performances and photos in low light conditions, both without flash.

I have needed to use my phone when the camera batteries went dead, so it's not just theory :)

go to manage attachments and upload it

Edit: first you go advanced, then select the paperclip or below there is manage attachments

Last edited:
picture on the left from Phone, Picture on the right from my regular camera. Taken within minutes of each other

Attachments

• 20210729_152228_HDR.jpg
    20210729_152228_HDR.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04194.jpg
    DSC04194.jpg
    753.9 KB · Views: 94
Hope you can see the image. Taken last week from Jersey City, NJ using an iPhone 11 Pro Max (by a friend). I’m not sure how any full size camera could take a better photo than this.

Attachments

• CE10FE09-7D91-4AAA-8FDC-E67450A23238.jpg
    CE10FE09-7D91-4AAA-8FDC-E67450A23238.jpg
    415.4 KB · Views: 99
DW takes tons of photos with her 11 Pro and they are far superior to my XS, so even among recent models of iPhone the cameras keep getting better.

DW just ordered a 13 pro max. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Here's one from my iPhone 12 pro max. I couldn't use my dslr because I had on a big telephoto lens and I couldn't get far enough away from the frog to use it. But the iPhone did the job.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.24.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 6.24.27 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
The old saying is true…

“What is the best camera in the world? The one that you have with you.”

Everyone it seems is always carrying their phone. It doesn’t matter if you have a fortune invested in a high end camera at home. If it’s not with you it’s useless.

Now however as the OP pointed out, the cameras in phones are really substantial. So much so that even if the picture has minor imperfections, with the software available nowadays, those can be cleaned up nicely in post production.

Long ago I abandoned my camera bag with all the lenses in favor of a Canon ELPH. It took really good pictures and video and was impressive in low light. Plus I could carry it in my pocket.

Now I’ve abandoned the ELPH and simply use my iPhone. I don’t remember the last time I took a conventional “camera” in a trip…

There may be a way, but I have yet to have a phone that could take a good concert picture. The spotlight on the subject in an otherwise dark room just seems to hard to handle and the face is always washed out. Other than that specific situation, phone cameras are great. In general, it’s amazing what they pack into a piece of equipment the size of a phone.

It's partly because these phones have the equivalent of super computers inside of them, doing massive photo processing to produce good images.

My test of image quality differences is to make a 16x20 print. While I enjoy seeing and sharing photos on a screen, it's the prints that I hang on my walls.

So far I find that a high quality pocket-able camera (like my Sony RX100) or a DSLR like my Olympus 4/3 body are still superior. That said, the quality and convenience of the phone camera is great.

Perhaps making prints and hanging them on the wall makes me a dinosaur. Or at least a buggy whip maker.

My test of image quality differences is to make a 16x20 print. While I enjoy seeing and sharing photos on a screen, it's the prints that I hang on my walls.

So far I find that a high quality pocket-able camera (like my Sony RX100) or a DSLR like my Olympus 4/3 body are still superior. That said, the quality and convenience of the phone camera is great.

Perhaps making prints and hanging them on the wall makes me a dinosaur. Or at least a buggy whip maker.
No one claimed they were equal, specifically noted otherwise, and blowing up photos is a reason for a good DSLR. But that’s a declining market to be sure, and dedicated point-and-shoot cameras must be all but dead…

Attachments

• 51AF8EEC-EE0F-4B23-A7F5-A31891D36986.jpeg
    51AF8EEC-EE0F-4B23-A7F5-A31891D36986.jpeg
    419.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
This thread reminds me that I should try to sell my DSLR.

One of the reasons I don’t mind paying more for a smartphone is the better camera. The convenience and quality of photos is important. I always have a high quality camera in my pocket and can immediately (and easily) share pictures with family/friends.

One our habits when traveling is to always create a shared album. We all add pictures to the album as we’re traveling. It saves time in having to create an album after we get home.

This thread reminds me that I should try to sell my DSLR.

I've sold a couple of them in the last few years on eBay, and both times I got more than I expected. So this might be a good time.

I still have one (Nikon D500) although it's rarely used. When I want to take a camera with me, my Sony RX100 is the typical choice these days. Slips in a pocket, has a huge optical zoom, and takes great pictures.

When I want to take a camera with me, my Sony RX100 is the typical choice these days. Slips in a pocket, has a huge optical zoom, and takes great pictures.

I’ve thought about a pocket camera, but the quality of smartphone pics is good enough. I also don’t want to deal with the hassle of managing pics from a device. All my iPhone pics immediately upload to iCloud Photos and I can view them on any of my devices. And no need to worry I lost any pics because they’re all backed up.

For me, it’s all about convenience with good photo quality.

Back
Top Bottom