Smartphone, Computer, Tablet or Combo

Desktop: 4core AMD, 4GB of memory, w/Ubuntu: It's our picture backup store, so it gets regular use, but I only recently started using it as a real desktop computer when I poured root beer into my Thinkpad X61 and abruptly left the laptop world... it is what I'm using to post this.

Tablet: After the X61-rootbeer incident, I bought a Microcenter Winbook TW801, a windows tablet. Intent was to replace the laptop with something lighter for travel, and it has worked well for that. We went to Europe this fall and I used it to back up the daily picture production, and to do some editing with the Windows Photos app, worked very well. I also use it to read when I travel, but the B&N app didn't fare well in transition to Windows 10, probably going to move to Amazon. I also use it for light C++ hack programming, but in that and real photo post-processing it starts to show its limits.

Phone: DW and I each have a Samsung S2. We were long-time Sprinters until they just became too much to bear. We now use the same phones on Ting, cut our monthly bill to about 25% of what it was. I turn off the data normally, only turn it on if I need to use Google Maps or get a particular email. I keep it set up to connect to the house wifi when available. And, I'm reading my B&N books on it until I can switch to something more customer-responsive.

We also have a computer running Xbuntu behind the family room TV that serves as the primary picture store, 150GB since 2005. I wrote some web scripts to look at the pictures over wifi, and we use XBMC to display pictures and play audio streams. A server, not really one of the categories presented by the OP but a computing device we use daily.

And in that regard, I shouldn't forget the Raspberry Pi in the basement that controls the sprinklers and other X10 devices. In fact, after this post I need to turn on the Christmas lights schedule scripts... X10 is fun, I can turn lights on and off in the house from wherever I travel, much to the chagrin of my DW... :D

The only real shift in my device use is laptop->tablet. But, that has resurrected the desktop, which I find I missed very much: big screen for aging eyes, real keyboard, and mouse in spite of how it makes my wrists feel...

Desktop with large screen: Needed for larger financial spreadsheets. Replace with laptop eventually?

Tablet: Nexus 7 good for web browsing and use with Minisuit keyboard when I want to post like now.

Phone: Just got Nexus 6P (size of Iphone 6+) which replaced my ancient flip phone. Works great but does takeover one of my jeans pockets.

Only serious coders, graphics & gamers may be using desk/laptops years from now...

Using a TV for my desktop is just not a good substitute for my 2 27" monitors. I do play some games, but even leaving that aside I use my desktop daily. I am a dedicated multi-tasker and I love being able to put 2 documents side by side on a large monitor.

As I type this, on my left monitor I am playing Hearthstone. In between my turn, I am typing this message (right side of my right monitor). On the left side of my right monitor, I have Evernote up. I like being able to do that kind of thing. And, can't imagine ever giving it up. Currently I have a Falcon Northwest Tiki.

As to the other stuff. Things I have:

iPhone 6S - I use this a lot too.

iPad Pro - I just got this replacing an older regular size iPad. So far I like it a lot. It is easy to prop up on my legs to read and typing on the Logitech keyboard and is great and it is very nice for web surfing. Also, the speakers on it are great so it is good for music also.

Kindle - I haven't actually powered this on in years. It is an early generation Kindle.

Notebook - Lenovo, currently broken. It is touchscreen convertible to tablet mode. I plan to replace it with an inexpensive notebook so I have a back up computer.

DH -

Desktop computer - Also a Falcon NW Tiki with dual monitors. He uses this every day.

iPhone 6s - Uses daily

iPad Mini - He used to use this a lot, but the larger iPhone 6s (compared to his old iPhone) has largely replaced it.

Notebook - Rarely used nowadays.
http://www.early-retirement.org//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Me - desktop - Quicken and I are in touch pretty much daily. $50 Windows phone that I try and forget in the car or leave behind.

Her - desktop, rarely used unless it is tax time or she is amassing documents for properties or loans. Laptop, even more rarely used. Iphone 4s, used constantly. She makes her phone do tricks that astound me. It has every contact for the last decade - I can say, "you know that guy that fixed the stairs over at Mill back before it got painted?" and she is instantly giving me his work and home numbers, what he got paid, and his address. It leads us down the roads, can control the Roku, streams music and YouTube, works as a level - she has pages of apps. She takes pride in her ability to use the minimum number of perfect search terms to get an answer in the shortest possible time. She loves to fact check me, which I don't love. Much prefer to deliver plausible pronouncements in a sonorous tone and get away with it.

Using a TV for my desktop is just not a good substitute for my 2 27" monitors. I do play some games, but even leaving that aside I use my desktop daily. I am a dedicated multi-tasker and I love being able to put 2 documents side by side on a large monitor.
Brings up questions I have about using a laptop with a good large screen TV monitor. Is it possible to have 2 or more docs open on a TV monitor, i.e. can you see just what is displayed on your laptop screen? How about the cells in a large spreadsheet, are they readable and crisp characters?

Brings up questions I have about using a laptop with a good large screen TV monitor. Is it possible to have 2 or more docs open on a TV monitor, i.e. can you see just what is displayed on your laptop screen? How about the cells in a large spreadsheet, are they readable and crisp characters?

Yes, you can show as many document as you want on the second monitor. With a second monitor connected, you can duplicate or extend the image on your laptop screen. It can be a wired connection using vga or minidisplay port. Make sure your laptop has these ports if using wire connection. I prefer wireless connection using MS wireless display adapter. Tv has to have HDMI port. Got mine for around $50 and works great with W10. You can be sitting in the couch while projecting (wireless) the laptop images to your lcd tv. Just make sure you're connected to the router using 2.4 ghz and you're good to go.

The quality of the image depends on the resolution of your laptop and tv. I have 1600 x 900 on my laptop and 1080p tv and the image is just fine.

Last edited:
Samsung S2 phone and 2 desktop PC's.

The "old" desktop PC is not connected to the internet and lives in the basement where my bands rehearse and serves as a jukebox with a few thousand music files.

I have a newer desktop PC upstairs where my internet access is done.

Yes, you can show as many document as you want on the second monitor. With a second monitor connected, you can duplicate or extend the image on your laptop screen. It can be a wired connection using vga or minidisplay port. Make sure your laptop has these ports if using wire connection. I prefer wireless connection using MS wireless display adapter. Tv has to have HDMI port. Got mine for around $50 and works great with W10. You can be sitting in the couch while projecting (wireless) the laptop images to your lcd tv. Just make sure you're connected to the router using 2.4 ghz and you're good to go.

The quality of the image depends on the resolution of your laptop and tv. I have 1600 x 900 on my laptop and 1080p tv and the image is just fine.
Thanks Kneehigh

From Midpack's comment above I was thinking maybe my next computer will be a Windows laptop. This gives me more confidence that I could get the ergonomics right for me.

Right now I place my wireless keyboard on my lap and have a fairly large screen monitor working with my desktop PC. That is because of the workspace I inherited in one room. I could replace the desktop PC with a laptop that is docked to the monitor but would still need to use the wireless keyboard (on my lap) while in that room. Then if I move to the living room with TV, I could do what you suggest above.

I have a small laptop (netbook?) 11"... it's a touch pad so it acts as a tablet as well when I flip it around. I stopped using my android tablet when I got this... so, it has replaced my tablet (which I still own, but don't use.

I have a smart phone - I can read ebooks or play games on it while I'm waiting for the kids after school... so it also acts like a tablet.

I disagree with the statement that laptops are going away.

We have 2 desktops - one is a gaming system my son built. The other is a system my husband uses for CAD.

Lol, I'm one of those that have at least one of each (desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone). Actually, I do believe I have at least 3 of each (kept older models after I upgraded but some are due to too much shopping in my late 20s). Thankfully, I'm now past the uber wasteful spending stage. Most of my shopping now is for VFORX and VTSMX. :blush:

Last edited:
Yes, we have all three - each of us does, although DH really only uses his iPad when traveling. We mainly use laptops for computers, but we did set up a dedicated iMac as a photography/video editing workstation which we share.

I avoided a smartphone for a pretty long time. But when I switched to the Apple Watch from Fitbit, I needed a phone and took over my husbands old one. A bunch of the watch/phone combo features have come in very handy, so I'm finally dropping my "dumb" phone.

Also - traveling overseas - a smartphone is really handy. Handier than a tablet when on the go - easier to quickly check stuff, look at maps, plus text/messaging to the traveling partner, if needed, and being able to call each other if needed. Family can also reach us.

I take my iPad overseas, but it's only used with wifi back at the hotel, because I don't want to bother with a foreign SIM. I don't carry it when out during the day.

I do all my financial stuff on a laptop, and for that reason we take a small laptop (Macbook Air) with us when we travel overseas. I need to be able to continue doing any banking, etc., even while traveling. I have various spreadsheets I maintain, which would be a pain on a tablet. We also have our photo editing software installed, and I use the laptop to import and save a copy of all my camera images while traveling.

We'll probably always have a computer for photo and video editing, and I need something that helps me manage all the financial files, and a laptop with spreadsheets and keyboard still works best.

Last edited:
Nothing beats a full powered Desktop, IMHO.
Also have a tablet and an old laptop.

Last edited:
I like our desktop because it has a huge monitor and regular keyboard. Good for just about anything. I like our iPads for chilling out on the couch. iPhones are good for bus and not at home use. Also used as only phone (no landline). They all have a legit purpose. Our laptops are used mostly by the kids.

Nothing beats a full powered Desktop, IMHO.

I have to agree. I love a nice large screen (23") and a fast multi-core CPU with separate graphics card. Several TB of storage. Just try doing proper video editing and rendering on a tablet. LOL! I also hate how dirty the touchscreens on phones and tablets get. I do love my Galaxy S5 smartphone when I'm on the go though. I have a couple of laptops gathering dust but do use a tablet for internet and email when I'm lounging around.

Desktop computer - gets the most usage by far. I like the full keyboard, big monitor, and I like working at my desk where I can focus on what I'm doing. I just upgraded my setup this year.

Smartphone (Android) - use this when I'm away from home, or even when at home and I want to check my email but don't want to turn the desktop box on.

Netbook (small laptop) - this used to be my internet access when away from home, but since I got the smartphone, I rarely use the netbook anymore.

I've never owned a tablet, but I guess I use the smartphone as a tablet (I almost never use it as a phone).

2 Android smartphones: HTC Evo 4G LTE & Kyocera Torque and two laptops: older 15" Dell Inspiron & a one year old Lenova Yoga Pro 2 all-in-one laptop/tablet which rocks! I do have a couple older desktop machines floating around the house that I need to get pictures & documents off of & then get rid of them, so I don't count them. I would love to buy one of those Raspberry Pi's to play with, but I just don't have the extra time right now.

Racing for the FIRE finish line, but I don't know where it is.

I use a Macbook pro with a 23" monitor, wife has a macbook air. Also an Amazon Fire tablet for reading, etc. while watching tv. Both of us have smartphones, Samsung Alpha and Motorola Moto E. It was hard to find a nice smartphone that will fit in my shirt pocket. We both use our laptops the most. Tablets and smartphones while useful just don't have the capabilities for what we do, me: photo editing, her: spreadsheets.

Desktop computer - gets the most usage by far. I like the full keyboard, big monitor, and I like working at my desk where I can focus on what I'm doing. I just upgraded my setup this year. ....

I'm sort of in-between, as I use my 17" laptop as a desktop (and I think many others do as well).

I connect a USB full size keyboard and mouse and it sits at my desk. If I want (and I have on occasion), I can connect a separate monitor of any size I desire. The only reason I don't usually use the big external monitor is, I have my Xubuntu OS set up with 'virtual desktops' that are so easy to use and so flexible, that I keep things separated on multiple 'virtual desktops' and that keeps things less cluttered. But it's easy to do when I really want/need the larger screen real estate, either 'mirrored' or 'extended'.

The other reasons I like using a laptop as a desktop -

- it is portable for those occasions when that is handy - and I do that sometimes.

- built in 'UPS' - I laugh at power glitches!

- when I buy a new one, the old laptop sure is handy as a second/third/etc computer. Just plug it in, and you've got everything you need. No extra wires/plugs, easy to move from room to room as needed. I've used the 'spares' as music players, and for doing tasks that I don't want to bog down my daily computer with (converting videos, etc).

Unless someone is a heavy gamer or run other super-intensive apps, a decent laptop has plenty of power for daily tasks.

I also have a tablet, and we have smartphones in the family, but I'm OK with my basic flip phone. I'm thinking of getting the Karma wi-fi hot spot device to use with my tablet/laptop or DW's smartphone for when I want data on the go (not often).

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom