Smartphones

I wonder about comment sections because people with bad experiences are likely more motivated to post something than people that have good experiences. I'd rather rely on reviews.
I agree. I ruled out most of the phones available to me after reading authored reviews on tech websites that I trust, even when individuals were strongly supporting those devices. After reading the authored reviews, it was really down to Samsung S-series and the Pixel 3. Then it was just a matter of which I could get quickly enough so I could have it working for my trip next week. I have a video job interview on Tuesday while I'm on my trip, so not having a reliable smartphone was not an option.

Looks that way. I've decided to stay with what I know will work, grabbing a refurb'ed, unlocked S8 to replace my S6 from a retailer I know won't give me a hassle if it doesn't work. It has everything I have now, plus the expansion slot. I hope getting it working is as simple as booting it up, swapping the SIM card from my S6 into it, and tying it to my Google account.
Let us know how the process of switching over goes. In sure there are curious people reading this thread that would be interested in hearing the outcome.

You're right. Got to get the G6+ to get NFC in the US. (European model of G6 has NFC.)

Good point.

If one is going to use a phone in the USA make sure you get a phone made for the USA. I know one guy who got a steal on a certain phone in India only to find out that it did not support the band his carrier used in his area. Not a great deal for him.

I got an email about the Moto G7 today (now available).

$299 unlocked retail price. Looks like they are taking the Moto G to a higher price point.

A tough sell at $299. But, compared to a $1,000+ iPhone they will probably still do OK.

Add me to the list of liking the Motorola Moto G series of phones (I have a 3, DW has a 4...both work great).

Me too... DW has G4 and I have G4 Play (slightly smaller).. have had them each over 2 years and not a stitch of trouble.

Just make sure in that price range that it supports Google Pay, so has an actually NFC chip and a secure enclave.

Also a good idea that it supports remote wiping or tracking if lost or stolen.

If it's wiped, your credit card information may not necessarily be wiped off the internal memory because often, the credit card information for a mobile wallet system like Apple Pay or Google Pay is stored in the secure enclave chip.

With recent iPhones (no more than 3-4 years old), there is iCloud activation lock so even if someone stole or found it, they wouldn't be able to wipe the device and use it for themselves.

I'm not sure which Android devices have a comparable feature.

Another consideration, be wary of Chinese brands. The US govt. recommends against Huawei and some Chinese brands. Huawei is the 800-pound gorilla, closely tied with Chinese govt. They are trying to sell networking equipment for 5G networks and US has barred their equipment because of security concerns.

A lot of countries, particularly developing countries, are buying them anyways because Huawei underprices the equipment compared to European and US vendors.

Huawei and other Chinese brands are popular in Europe and developing countries because they tend to be cheaper.

Also be wary of installing apps. from anywhere but the Google Play store. There is a lot of app. piracy because Android phones allow apps. to be installed from any web site and often those pirated apps. carry malware.

However, it should also be noted that Google Play Store has hosted several apps. found later to have malware in them which steal personal info. without the user's consent or knowledge.

But Google pulls these apps. as soon as they find out.

I know some folks like to promote the idea that smartphones aren't necessary, but let's put that aside. Let's say they are, and specifically let's say that the needs are such that it has to be Verizon. Let's say that there are inviolable needs that include the things like Google Pay at POS locations, tethering, and the ability to slide in a 64 GB or 128 GB expansion card.

Given all that, what's the best option? Verizon seems to have very few choices available from them directly, especially in the $250 range. What are my other options? Or do those requirements condemn me to the abyss?

Right now Verizon has the Samsung J3 V for free, and a motorola equal. The Samsung tethers just fine , has replaceable battery , not sure about how much micro sd it allows. Mine does have a slot. This was a refresh of an ancient model, now on clearance.

Let us know how the process of switching over goes. In sure there are curious people reading this thread that would be interested in hearing the outcome.
I did the swap of the SIM card and started up the S8 and I figured I must have done something wrong or skipped a step because I got an "Out of Service Area" error! I started looking for a phone number to call at Verizon to ask for assistance. I tried it one more time as I was dialing and voila! So it needed about two minutes to say howdidoo to the network. I completed the phone call to Verizon just to check and the agent confirmed that I was all set.

Looks that way. I've decided to stay with what I know will work, grabbing a refurb'ed, unlocked S8 to replace my S6 from a retailer I know won't give me a hassle if it doesn't work. It has everything I have now, plus the expansion slot. I hope getting it working is as simple as booting it up, swapping the SIM card from my S6 into it, and tying it to my Google account.

How much did the phone set you back? My DH will soon be goping from a flip to a smart phone. Since he carries it with him while farming and doing lots of outdoor stuff we are not sure if he should go new or refurb.

I did the swap of the SIM card and started up the S8 and I figured I must have done something wrong or skipped a step because I got an "Out of Service Area" error! I started looking for a phone number to call at Verizon to ask for assistance. I tried it one more time as I was dialing and voila! So it needed about two minutes to say howdidoo to the network. I completed the phone call to Verizon just to check and the agent confirmed that I was all set.

Make sure you verify your APN settings are correct for calling, data and texts.

Search for APN settings for your phone.

Often when you switch SIMs/Phones, Android will attempt to automatically set/create the APN you need. I've seen it not work and have to manually update the APN.

You can only have one active APN, so make sure there are not 2 and that the one active APN has the correct settings.

Verify data works with wi-fi disabled and you can send regular and picture texts.

If you can make a call, get data LTE without wi-fi and send a regular and picture text, then your APN is set up correctly.

This does not apply to Apple phones. Only Android.

Make sure you verify your APN settings are correct for calling, data and texts.

Search for APN settings for your phone.

Often when you switch SIMs/Phones, Android will attempt to automatically set/create the APN you need. I've seen it not work and have to manually update the APN.

You can only have one active APN, so make sure there are not 2 and that the one active APN has the correct settings.

Verify data works with wi-fi disabled and you can send regular and picture texts.

If you can make a call, get data LTE without wi-fi and send a regular and picture text, then your APN is set up correctly.

This does not apply to Apple phones. Only Android.

Thanks, I couldn't find APN anything on the phone, but I ran the tests you outlined. I was able to do all those things with Wifi disabled.

This is what I bought and where I bought it: https://smile.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Unlocked-64GB/dp/B06Y14T5YW

I was really impressed. Packaged as if it were new. Absolutely perfect top and bottom - I didn't even need to wipe down the screen before putting on the protect sheet. And all the accessories were undoubtedly brand new.

This is the phone I have, which I bought new. A couple questions, are you concerned at all about the remaining battery life? And your link took to me to a listing of many phones listed as new, used and refurbed, you payed a little more to get the refurbed and didn't buy a phone just listed as used?

My link takes me directly to the phone I bought. It's in as-new condition and came with a US warranty. It also was delivered in the time frame I had before I was leaving on my trip. 5-star review so far.

I know it is expensive but you can get on Swappa and get a Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 8 for not much more than a new cheap phone. It is waterproof, huge screen and probably the best smartphone ever made. I get my phone and plan for free, anything I want, and I never upgraded the Note 8 because it still rocks!

DW has had the Moto G5+ for a year or two with good results. I have a BLU Vivo XL3 which I got for the dual SIM feature. It's just as good and was $100 less.

Before that we both had the same model, which made it much easier to help her learn how to do things.

Just make sure in that price range that it supports Google Pay, so has an actually NFC chip and a secure enclave.

Also a good idea that it supports remote wiping or tracking if lost or stolen.

If it's wiped, your credit card information may not necessarily be wiped off the internal memory because often, the credit card information for a mobile wallet system like Apple Pay or Google Pay is stored in the secure enclave chip.

With recent iPhones (no more than 3-4 years old), there is iCloud activation lock so even if someone stole or found it, they wouldn't be able to wipe the device and use it for themselves.

I'm not sure which Android devices have a comparable feature.

Another consideration, be wary of Chinese brands. The US govt. recommends against Huawei and some Chinese brands. Huawei is the 800-pound gorilla, closely tied with Chinese govt. They are trying to sell networking equipment for 5G networks and US has barred their equipment because of security concerns.

A lot of countries, particularly developing countries, are buying them anyways because Huawei underprices the equipment compared to European and US vendors.

Huawei and other Chinese brands are popular in Europe and developing countries because they tend to be cheaper.

Also be wary of installing apps. from anywhere but the Google Play store. There is a lot of app. piracy because Android phones allow apps. to be installed from any web site and often those pirated apps. carry malware.

However, it should also be noted that Google Play Store has hosted several apps. found later to have malware in them which steal personal info. without the user's consent or knowledge.

But Google pulls these apps. as soon as they find out.

One of my retirement hobbies is Uber driving, and one of the benefits is I get to tap insider info from various experts.

One guy who was an internet security pro said Apple is much more secure than Android.

I went with IPhone trailing edge refurb Amazon

I have Verizon and I had a Moto G5 and loved it UNTIL the oreo update which interfered with bluetooth. It kept dropping phone calls in my car and dropping audio in the middle of a playlist. I was kind of wanting a new phone anyway so bought a Samsung Galaxy S7. Good phone but the battery life is inferior to the moto. Also since it was 2 or 3 years old it took 3 days to get the thing updated. But it was only $160 new and I'm pretty happy with it overall .

Back
Top Bottom