Smoke Detectors

lawman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hate em..I have 5 ceiling mounted smoke detectors in my house that are both A/C and battery backup. Two are on 14' ceilings and the rest on 12' ceilings. I change the batteries once a year and with each passing year as my vision deteriorates and my nerves get worse it becomes more difficult. I'm looking for a better way..Not sure batteries need to be replaced every year but I don't want that 2:00 am chirping. The manufacture tells me not to use lithium batteries. I would consider replacing them with the 10 year detectors that are available at Home Depot but I don't know if that is a good idea..How do the AC powered connect? Do they have a plug or are they directly wired like a light fixture.. Would I need to change bases? Has anyone replaced their AC powered with battery only? Did you use the 10 year type? I'm open to ideas.

My 10 year detectors are great. The place came with them, but I replaced those with new ones after we moved in, about 6-7 years ago. I'll do that again when they're nine years old.

Personally, if you have the old battery models, I would consider annual battery changes to be overkill. Two years should be fine IMHO.

Since I certainly would not be alive today were it not for a properly functioning smoke detector in 1987, I'm very grateful for the technology.

In California. You can only buy "10 yr" battery smoke detectors. My experience with
both brands, Kiddie and First Alert, they do not seem to last 10 years. Sometimes 1st year, they start "beeping". (meaning, battery worn out).

I think, new construction, CA. requires A/C smoke detectors.

I bought, several, "old" replace battery smoke detector, change yearly, in Nevada.
So I have both types in my house. (extra cautious).

Back to your original question. Is there a way to "lower" your smoke detectors.
14 and 12 ft. ceilings. Very high. Must be a nice, modern, open house.

My 10 year detectors are going strong 5 years later. Only way to go in my humble opinion but YMMV.

I have and would recommend that you get the ten year smoke detectors. The wiring is like a lite fixture. A couple of wire nuts and you're all set. If they're all connected to each other, you'll have three wires and a ground to deal with. As for the base, again, easy enough to swap out though if it's the same manufacture, you may not have to. Personally, I would not switch to a battery only model given that you are already set up with the wiring needed. If you wanted to add some protection to a spot that was not already wired, then I think the 10 year battery only models are great.

As a stop gap, you could by lithium batteries and not have to do anything but install the new battery. When I sold my house, I had a battery only model dear the furnace and the inspector made me get a lithium battery for it.

Realize that the life of your smoke detector is about 10 years also. So, the ones you have may be getting near expiration. If that's the case, getting a lithium battery would probably not be the best thing.

Be aware that the new 10 year smoke detectors start chirping like the battery is dead when their countdown says that they are 10 years old.

Wow, I have one detector (actually had one) on a great room ceiling at 15 ft, which is insane IMO. The room is currently unprotected. The other rooms (bedrooms and hallways, etc.) all function properly w/o the presence of the great room detector plugged into the circuit, for a total of 7 within the house.

I have a 10 ft fiberglass step ladder for a few maintenance application around the property, but their is no way I would work at the heights you mentioned for changing out smoke detector batteries annually. It's time for you to either get a younger handy man to do this work, or have them lowered to a side wall IMO.

I'm watching this thread for my own situation with interest, although I haven't heard any solutions yet that really excite me.:popcorn:

Be aware that the new 10 year smoke detectors start chirping like the battery is dead when their countdown says that they are 10 years old.

Smoke detectors only have a lifespan of 10yrs.
I'm sure they pretty much all chirp now at 10 years.
That would be a safety issue as the radioactive smoke detector probably becomes unreliable around the 10 year point.

As a stop gap, you could by lithium batteries and not have to do anything but install the new battery. When I sold my house, I had a battery only model dear the furnace and the inspector made me get a lithium battery for it.

Kidde phone rep told me not to use the lithium battery..Could not tell me why though..I may try that..How long do you think the 9 volt and AA lithium's would last? I can't continue changing them myself..

I think I know why Kidde rep told me not to use lithium. Just read that the lithium holds it's charge for years but when it goes dead it does not give as much notice as the alkaline meaning it will not chirp as long which I suppose might be a liability Kidde does not want to expose itself to..

Kidde phone rep told me not to use the lithium battery..Could not tell me why though..I may try that..How long do you think the 9 volt and AA lithium's would last? I can't continue changing them myself..

I think they’re rated to go 10 years.

If your smoker detectors use AC, then they might be chained. I don't know how to replace these chained smoke detectors. Do you have to buy a set of them to work with each other? Obviously, they are different from stand-alone smoke detectors?

If your smoker detectors use AC, then they might be chained. I don't know how to replace these chained smoke detectors. Do you have to buy a set of them to work with each other? Obviously, they are different from stand-alone smoke detectors?

I think they all can be chained. If not, it will say on the package. How to do it is very easy if it’s already set up that way. There’s just an extra wire to connect. I think it’s red to signify what it’s for.

I was skeptical of the recommendation to replace smoke detector batteries every year so years ago I started writing the installation date on the batteries then replaced them when they started chirping. I typically get between 2 1/2 to 3 years years out of a cheap set of 9 volt alkaline batteries bought at Dollar Tree. IIRC, these were Sunbeam and/or Panasonic batteries. The smoke detectors themselves were basic First Alert models.

I just changed the battery out on the smoke detector in my home office so I know I'm correct on the longevity numbers because when I replaced the battery it was 2 years plus 10 months old.

I've been slowly converting to combination CO2 and smoke detectors with alarms as well as audible (spoken word) warnings. I know these only last about 7 years as the first one I installed in 2015 just crapped out on me about a week ago. I think I replaced the AA alkaline batteries only two times in that time span, which means three sets of AA batteries in 7 years.

It sounds like you are having some challenges with maintaining your smoke detectors. Most smoke detectors are designed to be replaced every 10 years, so replacing them with the 10-year detectors available at Home Depot may be a good idea. These detectors typically have a sealed, long-life lithium battery that will last for the life of the detector, so you won't have to worry about replacing the batteries.

In terms of installation, the AC-powered smoke detectors are typically wired directly into your home's electrical system, similar to a light fixture. You may need to hire an electrician to install them if you are not comfortable with electrical work. Alternatively, you can use battery-only smoke detectors, which do not require wiring. However, you will need to replace the batteries regularly to ensure that the detectors are functioning properly.

Overall, it is important to have properly functioning smoke detectors in your home to ensure your safety. If you are having difficulty changing the batteries or maintaining your current detectors, it may be worth considering replacing them with the 10-year detectors or a different type of detector that is easier for you to maintain.

WOW.... Our fire detectors are over 30 years old, and never changed any batteries. Have moved them to our 4th home since we bought them. This house rebuild, we have to put in hard wired smoke detectors to meet code, but still keeping these.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/736763670/vanguard-thermosonic-heat-detector-alarm
They wind up, and the trigger is a heat sensitive tab that holds the wound spring... LOUD like a school bell and runs on over 5 minutes
We had one go off due to a very hot woodstove fire, and our neighbor heard it ringing and called the fire dept before coming over to check on us.
The funny thing is.... His old house is the one we are rebuilding.

Last edited:
WOW.... Our fire detectors are over 30 years old, and never changed any batteries. Have moved them to our 4th home since we bought them. This house rebuild, we have to put in hard wired smoke detectors to meet code, but still keeping these.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/736763670/vanguard-thermosonic-heat-detector-alarm
They wind up, and the trigger is a heat sensitive tab that holds the wound spring... LOUD like a school bell and runs on over 5 minutes
We had one go off due to a very hot woodstove fire, and our neighbor heard it ringing and called the fire dept before coming over to check on us.
The funny thing is.... His old house is the one we are rebuilding.

As you say, heat detectors are not a substitute for smoke alarms. They are not considered life safety devices and do not comply with current code requirements for residences. You can keep them installed, of course, but these days they are typically considered collector's items.

Smoke alarms respond earlier than heat detectors. As long ago as 1992, the CPSC issued a bulletin encouraging people to install smoke alarms if they had installed these types of heat detectors. These heat detectors were sometimes sold door-to-door by salesmen using deceptive tactics to convince homeowners the products were superior to smoke alarms.

Since I retired from being a fire protection engineer it appears there have been changes to household smoke alarms making them much less susceptible to nuisance alarms from cooking activities. I'm out of the loop and I'm really not up on that, but if true that's very good news.

Does anyone make 9-volt battery extension cables? Maybe replacing the battery with the extension cord and placing the battery lower, reachable location might work.

I see that a USB to 9-Volt type battery replacer is. However if a fire kills the power........ I can't think of anything good from that situation.

Smoke detectors only have a lifespan of 10yrs.
I'm sure they pretty much all chirp now at 10 years.
That would be a safety issue as the radioactive smoke detector probably becomes unreliable around the 10 year point.

The half-life of the radioactive element in smoke detectors is over 430 years, there is still 98.41% of the radioactive material present after 10 years.
Kinda strange that the self-life of a smoke detector has been "10 years" with no improvements in the last 50 years...

I hate em..I have 5 ceiling mounted smoke detectors in my house that are both A/C and battery backup. Two are on 14' ceilings and the rest on 12' ceilings. I change the batteries once a year and with each passing year as my vision deteriorates and my nerves get worse it becomes more difficult. I'm looking for a better way..Not sure batteries need to be replaced every year but I don't want that 2:00 am chirping. The manufacture tells me not to use lithium batteries. I would consider replacing them with the 10 year detectors that are available at Home Depot but I don't know if that is a good idea..How do the AC powered connect? Do they have a plug or are they directly wired like a light fixture.. Would I need to change bases? Has anyone replaced their AC powered with battery only? Did you use the 10 year type? I'm open to ideas.

How long have those units been installed? I thought the 10 year limit was on the sensor, not the battery for the hard-wire/battery backup models. Our home was built with hardwired detectors and I hardly ever replaced any batteries. Right around the 10 year mark they started the end of life chirping in close succession. The replacement units were direct plug in and maybe had an optional connector plug you could change out. The replacements were daisy-chained so all the connectors sound off if any one detects smoke, CO, or fire....Not ideal since you cannot tell which detector is actually being triggered. I think some of the newest ones are improved in this regard. Another 10 years and same thing only now the units are daisy chained AND have annunciators. "FIRE !!!!, FIRE!!!" DW won't even let me test these units when she is home.

DW won't even let me test these units when she is home.

I test mine pretty much any time I make bacon using the oven. :D We always have a cookie sheet handy to fan the air around the detector when we cook bacon.

We replaced our original 30 year old AC powered home smoke detector last year with a battery powered one. I was curious how it was wired in. When I pulled it off there was a electrical junction box that actually had a wall socket plug in it. Very nice but no longer needed. We bought relatively expensive (~$45) First Alert Z-wave combo smoke & CO2 detectors because they're compatible with the Ring Alarm system. If the detector goes off the ring alarm gets notified. You can even monitor battery health from the ring app on your phone which might be what the OP wants. Also a plus is it runs on 2 AA batteries vs 1 9V. I can't stand 9V batteries. Also the instructions were to not mount the unit over an electrical box but I did it anyway since I replaced the old AC unit and I wanted to cover up the electrical box. However the downside for this detector is the batteries might go two years and need to be replaced. The OP should just go for the 10 year detector and just replace the whole thing every 10 years.

Last edited:
As you say, heat detectors are not a substitute for smoke alarms. They are not considered life safety devices and do not comply with current code requirements for residences. You can keep them installed, of course, but these days they are typically considered collector's items.

We also had, and always will have smoke detectors. These may not qualify, but work, and just another layer of protection. Ive been to a fire that started in the garage, and the heat radiating into the roof of the house set off the heat detector before a smoke alarm in the house activated.

Does anyone make 9-volt battery extension cables? Maybe replacing the battery with the extension cord and placing the battery lower, reachable location might work.

I see that a USB to 9-Volt type battery replacer is. However if a fire kills the power........ I can't think of anything good from that situation.

When my latest smoke detector (AC w/ 9V battery backup) needed replacement I replaced it with a combination carbon monoxide (CO)/smoke detector that uses two AA batteries, so I installed lithium Energizer AAs instead of the alkaline batteries that came with it.

IIRC, as alluded to in other posts, all new smoke detectors 'self-destruct' after 10 years, removable battery or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom