Snow chains on rental cars

SecondAttempt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We are going to Yosemite Valley for a few days before our San Francisco visit it December, just before Christmas.

Today I wanted to try to get snow chains included in the rental just in case. I found out that rental companies not only don't provide chains, they don't allow them to be used on their vehicles. I could have sworn I rented a car in about 2018 in Pittburgh that had chains in the trunk.

I've found a workaround. There is a place on the way that rents chains, and they are not expensive. My plan would be to carry them but I do not intend to use them. (I know how to put chains on but it has been about 10 years.)

I think we will be fine. The roads in the valley are usually kept passable in all but the heaviest storms and I would not drive in those conditions anyway. The only reason for renting chains is that there is a restriction level (R1) where you are required to carry chains, and there are checkpoints, but are not required to use them. We will also have a 4WD (sort of, a Nissan Rogue). And I've got the road conditions number to check in advance. I'll also watch the long term forecast a few days out and possibly skip chain rental.

Has anyone run into this rental car restriction? Apparently in some coutries rental car companies are required to provide chains free of charge in winter for safety.

Also, anyone from the area, is my assessment of the unliklihood of running into issues on Highway 140 accurate?

Most of the time Hwy 140 should be fine -- it's the road that the public transit YARTS buses use to get from Merced to Yosemite Valley year round. Of course you have to check the weather anyway, but odds are in your favor.

Are you sure you'll have a Nissan Rogue? Most car rental reservations say "or similar". As an alternative, some Subaru dealers have a rental car program. They are all AWD and you know for sure what you're getting if you rent from them. You'd still have to carry chains, but you're less likely to have to use them if there is some snow.

I found out that rental companies not only don't provide chains, they don't allow them to be used on their vehicles.
[...]

Has anyone run into this rental car restriction? Apparently in some coutries rental car companies are required to provide chains free of charge in winter for safety.

I've been faced with the exact same dilemma on multiple occasions, and my "solution" has always been to rent cars with AWD and to purchase a set of fitting chains from the local Walmart before heading into areas with potential chain controls. I paid no attention to rental car "no chain" restrictions (actually, was never aware those restrictions even existed). Luckily, I never actually had to deploy chains in any of those situations. The AWD vehicles always handled whatever snowy roads I encountered just fine. I returned the chains unused to Walmart and got a refund every time.

You probably already know this but if it's a car you can get by with the easier snow cables and not chains which are typically only used on larger trucks now.

Also, the rental company might not like it but if your using your personal car insurance for rental coverage like most of us do, your insurance company is going to pay of any snow chain damage anyway. It's only if you're using the rental companies insurance coverage that you would have an issue with them.

You probably already know this but if it's a car you can get by with the easier snow cables and not chains which are typically only used on larger trucks now.

Also, the rental company might not like it but if your using your personal car insurance for rental coverage like most of us do, your insurance company is going to pay of any snow chain damage anyway. It's only if you're using the rental companies insurance coverage that you would have an issue with them.

Thanks. I've used both kinds of chains. Honestly, I have a decent amount of experience driving in snow but it is not something I enjoy. I don't intend to actually use chains. I just don't want to be trapped somewhere because I don't have them.

Our hotel reservations are flexible so we should be in a position to wait out a storm.

Coincidentally I found this today:

Automatic snow chains!

Thanks. I've used both kinds of chains. Honestly, I have a decent amount of experience driving in snow but it is not something I enjoy. I don't intend to actually use chains. I just don't want to be trapped somewhere because I don't have them.

Our hotel reservations are flexible so we should be in a position to wait out a storm.

Coincidentally I found this today:

Automatic snow chains!

There must be some congruence on the internet. Or you are reading the reddit r/whatisthisthing like I was yesterday when I saw this.

Someone posted a picture of a Norwegian ambulance asking what the chains hanging were. And bingo, the answer is these new automatic systems.

Yep, some of the Fire Departments and ambulances in snow regions have these. Not mainstream because of the cost though. SecondAttempt, sounds like you'll be fine. CalTrans here in California has dummied down the chain and driving requirements in snow areas these days. People with common sense are still fine, just not many of us left anymore!

I lived in Colorado for 30+ years and have driven in horrible snow conditions in the mountains. Never used chains.
Colorado has a traction law though. Get stuck or in an accident because of your tires and you could get fined.

Traction Law
During winter storms, or when conditions require, CDOT will implement the Passenger Vehicle Traction Law. CDOT can implement the Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Laws on any state highway. During a Traction Law, all motorists are required to have EITHER:

4WD or AWD vehicle and 3/16” tread depth
Tires with a mud and snow designation (M+S icon) and 3/16” tread depth
Winter tires (mountain-snowflake icon) and 3/16” tread depth
Tires with an all-weather rating by the manufacturer and 3/16” tread depth
Chains or an approved alternative traction device

Most of the time Hwy 140 should be fine -- it's the road that the public transit YARTS buses use to get from Merced to Yosemite Valley year round. Of course you have to check the weather anyway, but odds are in your favor.
Yes, Hwy 140 is usually fine up to the gate. However, it always amazes me how much the last few miles can change thing on the way into the valley. Expect no snow changing to a winter wonderland over the course of a few miles at the end.

I would recommend going for a walk in the valley early (~8:00 am) as it seems you have whole valley to yourself.

Yes, Hwy 140 is usually fine up to the gate. However, it always amazes me how much the last few miles can change thing on the way into the valley. Expect no snow changing to a winter wonderland over the course of a few miles at the end.

I would recommend going for a walk in the valley early (~8:00 am) as it seems you have whole valley to yourself.

Awesome. Thank you. We have both been to the valley in winter although not together. We are staying at the Ahwahnee which should be especially awesome. Tropical island girl partner wants to try snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, or possibly bunny downhill but we will see. I used to cross-country in Sweden and have downhilled a few times. Her chiropractor has recommended not to downhill. I suspect our excursions will be morning walks in the valley.

There must be some congruence on the internet. Or you are reading the reddit r/whatisthisthing like I was yesterday when I saw this.

Someone posted a picture of a Norwegian ambulance asking what the chains hanging were. And bingo, the answer is these new automatic systems.

Yep, reddit is where I first saw it but then did my own searching

Are you sure you'll have a Nissan Rogue? Most car rental reservations say "or similar".
Yes, I understand. I am renting from Hertz in SFO and am a Gold member so I can pick my own. I plan to make sure I have a true 4x4. (I have some knowledge here based on work experience with law enforcement policies)

Last edited:
FYI, we stayed in the Tanaya Lodge on 41 and had a front wheel drive rental. It started snowing in the evening on our arrival and didn't stop until the next morning. Chains or AWD with snow tires were required to enter the park and there were park rangers at the top of the pass to enforce the requirement. Buying chains at the lodge was expensive. Driving into a nearly empty park with a foot of new fallen snow was priceless. Enjoy!

A lot of good advice above get an outfit with 4x4 capability. Here is a simple easy strap on tire grip that do work well.
https://www.amazon.com/Chains-Emergency-Strap-Pick-Up-Trucks/dp/B07J31PX1T
A tire chain is a lot of work to install and really needs to be terrible road conditions before I would use them. I have used chain a lot but only used if an absolutely necessary times.

My person feeling if a vacationer needs to use chains the best place is stay where you are at till roads are ready for travel

Awesome. Thank you. We have both been to the valley in winter although not together. We are staying at the Ahwahnee which should be especially awesome. Tropical island girl partner wants to try snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, or possibly bunny downhill but we will see. I used to cross-country in Sweden and have downhilled a few times. Her chiropractor has recommended not to downhill. I suspect our excursions will be morning walks in the valley.
We did a vacation package called "stay and play" about 10 years ago. Stayed at the Yosemite Falls hotel and took the shuttle bus to Badger Pass. They had snowshoe, ski and cross country equipment for rent. Our package included lift tickets and rentals. My husband and younger son did sledding there while older son and I skied. So all your snow play equipment will be available at badger pass in the park .

My person feeling if a vacationer needs to use chains the best place is stay where you are at till roads are ready for travel

I totally agree. That's why I said I have no intention of using them. Most of my experience was for work years ago. If I were going skiing I might see it as the price of admission. But that is notthe case this trip.

I drove across Colorado on I-70 today and the Traction Law was in effect most of the way. I carry chains on my 4wd truck to meet the legalities, but when things are bad enough that the 4wd does not cut it, we'll find somewhere warm to hole up :)
IMG-20170109-200729-1024x768.jpg

We did a vacation package called "stay and play" about 10 years ago. Stayed at the Yosemite Falls hotel and took the shuttle bus to Badger Pass. They had snowshoe, ski and cross country equipment for rent. Our package included lift tickets and rentals. My husband and younger son did sledding there while older son and I skied. So all your snow play equipment will be available at badger pass in the park .

Yes, I said we will not be skiing. I have downhilled a few times in my life but not in 28 years. Island girl partner's chiropractor says don't so that is out. We might cross country, which I have done a lot, or possibly snow shoe, new to both of us. Lots of gear to buy for one day. Yes, I know you can rent the ski gear but the basic winter gear like gloves and stuff are not needed here in Hawaii. I have most of it but she does not.

In any case, I would not drive to Badger Pass but could take a shuttle.

Back
Top Bottom