Snow Drift in driveway

I was also thinking that.

Maybe something lightweight looking would get past the rule makers. Just picture the high end of this attached to posts in the hill and the low end on the other side of the driveway.

d0d5fc8865bf99ec5f77b4afd2f4fc95.jpg
I have doubts that would survive the high winds we get, or any heavy snow. Looks fine there, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

I had to shovel from the house to the driveway before going to work. So I got HeaTrak mats for my walkway and steps plus carpeted mats for in front of the doors. Due to how we had to configure them, we had to buy extra cable extenders. It was over $1000. for the initial purchase. We've had them for about 6 years and have had to replace one power supply, both carpeted mats and 2 of the walkway mats last year. One mat is on patio pavers and the ground will heave on either side of the mat because you are heating the ground under the mat. I would think your gravel driveway would heave too. Water does sit on top of the mat until it evaporates or it will run off the sides of the mat. If there is a lot of snow, snow will sit on top until it eventually melts but it does melt. It is nice that I'm just running through water and not snow getting to my truck in the morning.
They now have driveway mats ($1600 for one 2' X 20') if you decide to go this route make sure you can use on a gravel drive way. https://heattrak.com/collections/residential-mats
You could plant evergreen shrubs on the high side of the drive. My Dad uses rhododendron on one side of his drive for a snow fence. You would probably have to do the whole length of your drive. If you don't, the wind would pile the snow in your drive on either end of the shrubs.

I had to shovel from the house to the driveway before going to work. So I got HeaTrak mats for my walkway and steps plus carpeted mats for in front of the doors. Due to how we had to configure them, we had to buy extra cable extenders. It was over $1000. for the initial purchase. We've had them for about 6 years and have had to replace one power supply, both carpeted mats and 2 of the walkway mats last year. One mat is on patio pavers and the ground will heave on either side of the mat because you are heating the ground under the mat. I would think your gravel driveway would heave too. Water does sit on top of the mat until it evaporates or it will run off the sides of the mat. If there is a lot of snow, snow will sit on top until it eventually melts but it does melt. It is nice that I'm just running through water and not snow getting to my truck in the morning.
They now have driveway mats ($1600 for one 2' X 20') if you decide to go this route make sure you can use on a gravel drive way. https://heattrak.com/collections/residential-mats
That's great first-hand info, thanks! Doesn't sound like this is what I want to do. I did not think about the ground heaving. The problem area happens to be on the side where my Miata is garaged, and I don't want to deal with uneven ground when spring comes and I pull that back out. Plus the ice issue from the run-off that someone else also brought up.
You could plant evergreen shrubs on the high side of the drive. My Dad uses rhododendron on one side of his drive for a snow fence. You would probably have to do the whole length of your drive. If you don't, the wind would pile the snow in your drive on either end of the shrubs.
From what I've read, a snow fence, including a natural one like this, has to be a certain distance away. The wind blows toward the fence/shrubs, and on the downwind side the drift forms. The fence may catch some low blowing snow and block it, but the rest of the snow will fall in the dead wind space on the other side. The idea is to put the fence far enough away that the drift ends before it gets to where you don't want the fence. I don't have enough room to put anything that far away.

snowINST2.jpg

So if I put evergreens where that fence is, the snow will drift even worse right in my driveway, according to this.

Last edited:
I grew up in a house with a dig in driveway like you describe.
Dad's solution was to have a son and buy him a shovel.

Snowblower will work.

Back
Top Bottom