So I cross the line... Should I tell others?

Everyone who knows us knows we are retired. However, I believe based on a composite of comments, that they think in general we have less NW than we actually have.
So it's all good in the end.

I really don’t understand why people are hesitant to tell others about their retirement. When DH & I retired, we threw a party for close friends and told anyone and everyone. We were too excited to keep it to ourselves. Plus, we didn’t care what anyone else thought. As far as we know, everyone was happy for us. And if they weren’t, no one told us. [emoji2]

What on earth is with the guilt or the reluctance to say that you are retired. Why would you harbour guilt, self consciousness, or saying anything other than you are retired. Seems to me that it is far better to be direct vs circumspect.

I prefer a stealth wealth approach.

Found the article interesting and can relate to some aspects of it.
Just the other day, one of our friends stated "her friend(FA reference) wouldn't have me as a client anyways, as she only handles millionaires. Just smiled.....

I was around your age when I got the Megacorp severance - I had expected it for almost a year.
2 weeks after I left I had lunch with my in-laws and told them - no real reaction - I later learned that my FIL did ask around if we were “doing ok” - he pretty much heard that there was nothing to worry about.

I didn’t tell my siblings. None of them are doing well financially because of their own truly stupid decisions. I don’t need them asking me for money. They already think we are rich. DW’s family all knows, and the only one that would ask for money knows better than to ask. And I’m 61, more FIR than FIRE.

The same for me. My father thinks I have changed jobs where I have flexible hours and work from home. Between a sister, nieces and nephews, I have enough people who would expect a hand out f they knew.

I was totally upfront with all my coworkers about my retirement/layoff plans in the months leading up to my departure. Call me hopelessly naive, but I was a bit blindsided when a couple of my erstwhile friends became rather bitter and standoffish to me as the time drew near. This after being quite friendly for over a decade.

In retrospect I realized that not everyone is quite so fortunate and I was being a bit of a dick by rubbing everyone's nose in it. Word to the wise.

Last edited:
We were good friends with a couple 10 years older for 16 years. They were still working from home by necessity. We had been open with the fact that we had small pensions. When I decided to retire she left me a message at work when she knew I wasn’t there telling me it was a mistake. My husband intended to keep working but got laid off and couldn’t find another job. They still work at 73. No clue what will happen once they cannot work. It ruined the friendship because of all the comments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom