Solutions for motion sickness and entrainment

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am prone to motion-sickness and seasickness, as well as entrainment (after driving 4+ hours in a vehicle my feet and legs feel like they are vibrating even while standing on a concrete slab, and this continues for hours.)

I usually get a Tansderm Scop Rx for the times when I will be aboard a ship for an extended time period, and subject to seasickness. It works but makes me sleepy. It costs about $20 per patch, which lasts for a few days.

I've been looking at ordering a Reliefband, but have no idea if they work and how well. https://www.reliefband.com/

Anyhoo, I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Reliefband or something similar? And any other suggestions on how to alleviate these travel issues?

omni

My wife has similar wrist bands and they work for her.

Eating a few saltine crackers can help settle your stomach. The dry crackers absorb some of the stomach acid. It helps me.

I bought these the first time on a cruise , as was worried I'd get sick.

After a day, I decided to not take any and see how it went.I was fine.

We still pack them when we cruise, just in case:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-L...ickness-Relief-Tablets-25-mg-8-Count/22822794

In Mexico on one cruise, when we took the shuttle from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen I wished I had taken one. After our tour I dreaded the ride back to Cozumel, but it turned out OK.

Our kids used to get motion sickness sometimes from winding mountain roads + acid stomachs. When that happened we would stop at a grocery store and get some raw fruit and veggies to counteract the acid. That always worked for them.

Last edited:
I wore the motion sickness bands from the drug store when I had morning sickness and they worked. Its a pressure point thing so follow the instructions. Dont just slap them on they wear a little higher up the arm than a bracelet

DW got carsick, seasick, airsick for years before she met me. I introduced her to Bonine (meclazine hcl generic) and she has not had a problem since.
I even took her flying a couple of times and she did not have a problem.
I buy the generic in 100 pill bottles for her.

I use both transdermal scop and relief band, depending on situation. Relief band works well on short boat rides, flat seas, and bus/cab rides. Scop on all liveaboard diveboats, with relief band supplementation when seas get bad.

Have recommended relief bands to sons and daughters in law with motion sickness issues, and they also have had good results.

FWIW, Dramamine/Bonine (and the like) and passive acupressure bands do nothing for me. I also laughed at the people who recommended relief band to me and tried it just to prove them wrong. Oops....)

I am prone to motion-sickness and seasickness, as well as entrainment (after driving 4+ hours in a vehicle my feet and legs feel like they are vibrating even while standing on a concrete slab, and this continues for hours.)

I usually get a Tansderm Scop Rx for the times when I will be aboard a ship for an extended time period, and subject to seasickness. It works but makes me sleepy. It costs about $20 per patch, which lasts for a few days.

I've been looking at ordering a Reliefband, but have no idea if they work and how well. https://www.reliefband.com/

Anyhoo, I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with Reliefband or something similar? And any other suggestions on how to alleviate these travel issues?

omni

In my younger days, I've had bouts with vertigo and nausea.

I've used wrist bands with the brand of Sea-band. They do work by way of acupressure. The queasy feeling didn't go away completely, but the wrist bands to help.

Seabands are a lot less costly that the Reliefband it seems.

I get extreme seasickness until I heard about the use of ginger. Somewhat spicy, I take sliced ginger in a snack baggie anywhere I might suspect motion sickness. I little pinch between the cheek and gum and I'm good to go. I do some walleye fishing on Lake Erie, and have no trouble any more.

Ginger and bands work well for me. I was told to stay away from the patch if I intended to celebrate with adult beverages.

My aerobatics instructor recommended eating bananas. They don't prevent motion sickness but at least they taste the same coming up as they do going down.

Wow...lots of fellow sufferers. :sick:

Thanks for sharing your solutions! Lots to keep in mind.

I've used several types of acu-pressure wrist bands often, but can't attest that they actually help. But I wear them, accurately placed, just in case they do.

Ginger, saltines, and bananas are new concepts for me. One issue for me is having them on hand, especially if traveling. Planning ahead is required.

Meclizine and the like are in my medicine cabinet. They work. I dislike their side-effects, such as tiredness and dry-mouth.

2017-ish's positive experiences with reliefband are good to hear. I will order and try out on my next motion-sickness-inducing adventure.
Wish me luck! (I'll bring known back-up solutions just in case. :LOL: )

omni

This is completely counter-intuitive, but something that worked for me.

When I was a kid, I nearly always got sick when my father took me out on deep sea fishing trips. Spent countless hours huddled over a bucket or leaning over the rail.

Then I learned this trick from a neighbor.

Before going on the boat, I had a big breakfast, and packed a bag of sandwiches to take with me. Keeping my stomach full worked perfectly and I was never seasick again, despite being out all day in ten foot swells on a boat reeking with fish smells.

People generally don't believe me when I tell them this, but since you asked ... :cool:

Because of my (former) occupation, I spent some time at sea.

I had never been seasick in my life. However, since we had work to do, it didn't matter - - either way we were expected/required to get one of those "behind the ear" scopolamine patches for seasickness as part of our seagoing physical, and apply it before heading out.

We could remove it after some minimum period of time, if desired and if we felt we didn't need it any longer. I always removed mine once I could, but really it was no hassle at all. I never saw anybody get drastically sick with one. Well, OK, one or two guys on rare occasion, but that's all.

I have no idea what they cost since I didn't have to pay for it. I never used any anti-seasickness medication or other measures for recreational boating or fishing on days off.

I take 2 chewable 25mg meclizine tablets daily when cruising. I don't notice any side effects. If I didn't take them soon enough, a ginger pill can give some faster relief.

my wife sold the scopolamine patch for use in surgery and recommended it for others who had sea sickness or airplane sickness and could get a prescription. Works very well for the majority of people.

my wife sold the scopolamine patch for use in surgery and recommended it for others who had sea sickness or airplane sickness and could get a prescription. Works very well for the majority of people.

While this is true, be aware that for some scopolamine can "...produce bothersome adverse effects such as mydriasis, dry mouth, drowsiness, urinary retention, constipation, and a toxic psychosis manifested as delirium, hallucinations, restlessness, and excitability."

DW was one of those unfortunate few that suffered from hallucinations after using the patch for three days. Never again.

Transdermal Scopolamine Psychosis

I always used the "pills" or behind the ear patch. But someone suggested ginger capsules and they do seem to work for me. YMMV

No problem with sea sickness here, BUT

DW and I took a month long cruise last month (the South Pacific was very nice!) and when we got back, she had “land sickness” for over a week. Getting in the car made it better, but it came back afterwards.

Not pleasant, but it did eventually go away. So beware!

When you go on the European version of "the vomit comet" zero G airplane, they give you a shot of something that's apparently very effective. But the report I watched didn't say what it was, and what the side effects were.

they give you a shot of something that's apparently very effective. But the report I watched didn't say what it was, and what the side effects were.

I would ask for a shot of single malt, and live with the side effects. :cool:

No problem with sea sickness here, BUT

DW and I took a month long cruise last month (the South Pacific was very nice!) and when we got back, she had “land sickness” for over a week. Getting in the car made it better, but it came back afterwards.

After our 25 day cruise, we noticed for a couple of days as weird feeling being on land. The land was too stable :LOL:

...she had “land sickness” for over a week. Getting in the car made it better, but it came back afterwards.

mpierce,

I've had that "land sickness" after being back on land, too. In my case, it was after wearing the Transderm Scop patches, so I wasn't sure if it also occurs without having worn the patch prior.

It was a bit disconcerting and mildly uncomfortable, but not nausea-inducing for me.

omni

DW got carsick, seasick, airsick for years before she met me. I introduced her to Bonine (meclazine hcl generic) and she has not had a problem since.
I even took her flying a couple of times and she did not have a problem.
I buy the generic in 100 pill bottles for her.

Yup, Bonine or generic meclazine is the way to go. Original Dramamine just puts you to sleep, but I believe Dramamine II is also meclazine. I learned about it about 30 years ago for scuba diving - was told at the time that is what the Navy used. Wasn't common back then but easy to find now.

Back
Top Bottom