Some of Your Favorite Programs/Apps?

Waze - this mobile app saves me and my husband from nightmare commutes. Must app when we are driving in the states.

+1. Used it twice a day when I commuted, and still use it pretty regularly in So CA.

Just used Waze on a trip. I've used it before, but I was telling the person I went to visit how hard it is to imagine being without a GPS program like Waze. They're all pretty good but I use Waze. On my recent trip, it routed me around a backup and got me to the airport stress free (on time). I can't imagine going back to written directions.

Free 42. It emulates a Hewlett Packard HP42 calculator. I have long preferred a RPN calculator. With free 42 on my phone and tablet, one is always available.

Free 42. It emulates a Hewlett Packard HP42 calculator. I have long preferred a RPN calculator. With free 42 on my phone and tablet, one is always available.
Finally. I have 2 HP12Cs. Definitely prefer RPN. This could be too "New school" for me.

Finally. I have 2 HP12Cs. Definitely prefer RPN. This could be too "New school" for me.

I used to have an hp 11C/12C app for my iPhone. Unfortunately, it became non-functional with the latest major iOS update and is no longer supported. RIP.

I used to get a chuckle out of having one of the younger engineers in my office discussing a problem when they would reach for my actual 11C on the desk to work out something, not knowing it was RPN. I never could convert any of them to the efficiency of RPN (a "real" engineer's calculator!).

Top 10 most used programs/apps, in rough order:

Win 7 Desktop
- eM Client (email, calendar, contacts, tasks... similar to MS Outlook)
- Chrome browser
- Hangouts (messaging, SMS, phone calls, video calling)
- PasswordSafe
- Excel
- Adobe Photoshop
- Word
- Notepad
- TurboTax
- PowerPoint

Android Smartphone
- BlueMail
- Hangouts
- Google Maps
- Calendar
- CameraZoom
- Fidelity
- PasswordSafe
- VIP Access
- FlightAware
- Uber/Lyft

It’s so hard to pick one, but right now it’s the CBC Olympics app.

I have a Win7 PC and an iMac side-by-side and couldn't operate without a $12 program called Synergy. It allows me to operate both computers with a single keyboard and mouse as long as they are both on the same network.

I like to overclock my PC to get the most performance for my flight simming activities. I use these tools/apps regularly.

NVidia Afterburner
Valley Benchmark
GPUz
CPUz

Other apps I find useful are:

OpenOffice
Chrome over Safari on Mac

My favorites and most used programs:
Microsoft Excel and Word for Windows 10
Adobe Acrobat DC for Windows 10
Chrome Browser for Windows 10

For phone:
Moon+ Reader Pro for Android
Caliber Companion for Android
NOAA Weather
AccuWeather

+1 on FlightAware. I've used it to call BS on a gate agent who kept announcing our flight would leave "in 30 more minutes," every 30 minutes for a couple hours on end.
Same here.

The DW was flying solo from Omaha back home and the flight was delayed.

The gate agent kept saying "just a few more minutes". After hearing this a couple of times, I asked the DW if the plane was at the gate. Nope. I told her to ask the gate agent how a plane that hadn't even arrived could be leaving in a "few minutes". :mad:

It was only then that the agent fessed up and said the flight was probably going to be cancelled. (It was.)

Sorry for the thread drift. As for apps:

-- Spotify
-- MapMyWalk
-- Tweetbot (Twitter client)
-- Spark (email client)
-- Hoopla (audiobook player)
-- Reminder (a nice countdown timer I use for anniversaries, birthdays, etc.)
-- Alarmed (use it for all kinds of daily/weekly/monthly tasks)

Last edited:
Google map, wallet, calendar, keep, gmail, photos
Ynab, ipcam, teamviewer, pandora, harmony, Facebook, weather underground, lastpass, discusage, amazon alexa, wifi analyser, gas buddy

I use many of these frequently, but the ones I use the most are ynab and lastpass

I used to have an hp 11C/12C app for my iPhone. Unfortunately, it became non-functional with the latest major iOS update and is no longer supported. RIP.

I used to get a chuckle out of having one of the younger engineers in my office discussing a problem when they would reach for my actual 11C on the desk to work out something, not knowing it was RPN. I never could convert any of them to the efficiency of RPN (a "real" engineer's calculator!).

I also had a problem with another RPN calculator app become non-functional after an OS update. I use RLM-Fin-CX which emulates the HP12C. I used to use both the scientific and financial physical HP calculators (now in a drawer, but still work), but at this stage of the game, I find the financial functions used much more often:dance:

I also had a problem with another RPN calculator app become non-functional after an OS update. I use RLM-Fin-CX which emulates the HP12C. I used to use both the scientific and financial physical HP calculators (now in a drawer, but still work), but at this stage of the game, I find the financial functions used much more often:dance:

I have an HP 12C which has survived nicely. It is right by my computer and often used instead of a spreadsheet for little calculations.

Back
Top Bottom