Someone else's credit card account with my email address?

I wouldn't be so paranoid about releasing my SSN to the CC fraud department. SSNs are floating around all over the place and a fraud department is not a likely culprit for misusing it.

+1
Folks there have access to millions of people's data, yours would have to be pretty special to get any notice. They aren't going to make it a permanent part of anything so no long term security issues. If you want it fixed make it C1's problem.

If it shows up on your Credit Report, submit a dispute report and Experian will take care of it. I doubt it will show up on your Credit Report.

If it doesn't then it sounds like C1's back office typed the email address wrong or something transferred between screens, etc. I'd give C1 the last 4 digits of your SSN and if that doesn't work, I'd give them your full SSN. Quite honestly if you received mailings from them, they probably have it anyway!

Also it sounds like to solve the issue it requires you to do something to prove you are who you say you are to C1…or keep getting the emails. Or go higher up the chain with C1. Looking at it from their perspective, they can't just change an account holders email because you called and let them know.
Yes, they "should" or "could" try to contact the account holder and re-verify the email but it doesn't sound like they have done that either.

Last edited:
Isn't this simply a case of someone mistyping their email? In which case C1 shouldn't have any of Midpack's other info, and I don't think he really needs to give it.

It won't show up on any Experian or other credit report unless that person is also using Midpack's SS# or name and address. So I sincerely doubt it will show up in the credit history Credit reports don't track email addresses.

It's always worth checking your credit history annually regardless.

It's annoying getting someone else's emails because they put in the wrong email address. But I don't think it is a security risk to Midpack - just to the person who made the error. It leaves them vulnerable to someone else taking over their account.

Isn't this simply a case of someone mistyping their email? In which case C1 shouldn't have any of Midpack's other info, and I don't think he really needs to give it.

It won't show up on any Experian or other credit report unless that person is also using Midpack's SS# or name and address. So I sincerely doubt it will show up in the credit history Credit reports don't track email addresses.

It's always worth checking your credit history annually regardless.

It's annoying getting someone else's emails because they put in the wrong email address. But I don't think it is a security risk to Midpack - just to the person who made the error. It leaves them vulnerable to someone else taking over their account.
+1, that's what I was trying to say in post #1. Most likely just a nuisance, the only info I can see is NOT mine, but C1 won't correct it...for reasons I can't fathom.

+1, that's what I was trying to say in post #1. Most likely just a nuisance, the only info I can see is NOT mine, but C1 won't correct it...for reasons I can't fathom.

Although it would be convenient for you if they removed the email address from that account, it's not your account and they are probably playing it safe by not making any changes to that account from an unknown caller. I wouldn't want any random person who knows or guesses my email address to call my CC company, pretend it was their email address, and effectively stop all my email alerts.

Although it would be convenient for you if they removed the email address from that account, it's not your account and they are probably playing it safe by not making any changes to that account from an unknown caller. I wouldn't want any random person who knows or guesses my email address to call my CC company, pretend it was their email address, and effectively stop all my email alerts.
How hard would it be for them to contact the account holder and verify the email address they have on record? I am not asking them to do anything based on my word...I just know they have the wrong email address at present. Not sure what I am missing here, but minor in the overall scheme...

If your email address is associated with the account, I'd use that email address as the userid for the card's web site. Click the forgot password link. You'd get an email, which would let you log on. Then go into settings and change the email address to youareanidiot@getabrain.com. But you might need to know the idiot's favorite high school teacher, and that would blow the plan to smithereens.

If your email address is associated with the account, I'd use that email address as the userid for the card's web site. Click the forgot password link. You'd get an email, which would let you log on. Then go into settings and change the email address to youareanidiot@getabrain.com. But you might need to know the idiot's favorite high school teacher, and that would blow the plan to smithereens.
:LOL: I might just do that if it keeps up, thanks...

How hard would it be for them to contact the account holder and verify the email address they have on record? I am not asking them to do anything based on my word...I just know they have the wrong email address at present. Not sure what I am missing here, but minor in the overall scheme...

They could do that but they won't. Contacting the account holder and letting them know the email address is incorrect doesn't sound too great to C1. If I got that call, as the account holder, my question to C1 would be "how much of my data did you morons give away". They have no ability to validate that anyone's email address is correct, unless something requires multistep email account validation. They don't so any character string that could be an email address is valid. So C1 is not going to open up that pile-o-stink with their customer.

Last edited:
They could do that but they won't. Contacting the account holder and letting them know the email address is incorrect doesn't sound too great to C1. If I got that call, as the account holder, my question to C1 would be "how much of my data did you morons give away". They have no ability to validate that anyone's email address is correct, unless something requires multistep email account validation. They don't so any character string that could be an email address is valid. So C1 is not going to open up that pile-o-stink with their customer.
Some accounts require an email verification step where an email is sent and the user clicks on a link to continue registration. But I notice this part is often skipped these days - or I see it more for online subscriptions rather than financial accounts.. I usually note that I received a "thank you for registering" email to know everything is OK.

+1
You can also try to login to their account with your email address. "Forget your password" often just sends a new one to your email address. I did that with Expedia and called the lady - she had entered all her contact info. She had no idea that she wasn't using her own email address...
Usually a banks "forgot password" is much more robust than Expedia requirse. Either asking password secret questions, last 4 digits of SSN, card number, etc. Just checked C1 website, they require you to call them if you forgot your username or password.

Ha! I don't think so....if you had applied for a CC and put down your email address for account alerts, statement notification, etc. and after a month or two (the OP said there was a payment made) of not receiving any emails I am sure you would check your account online and see if everything was correct :)
They may not even recall setting up account for electronic / email delivery.

Last edited:
If the bank is smart, they've started a process to confirm or correct email address. You are not the account holder, and won't be included in the process. If bank reveals other persons info to you it is a violation of law.

If you attempt to login to another's account, and are caught, it could lead to legal action against you.

If the bank is smart, they've started a process to confirm or correct email address. You are not the account holder, and won't be included in the process. If bank reveals other persons info to you it is a violation of law.

If you attempt to login to another's account, and are caught, it could lead to legal action against you.
The bank is not smart...

I agree. In this case the CC company should write advising the account holder that someone else claims to be receiving the accounts email messages. If nothing else, it is a security risk. The holder will not receive messages about profile changes or logons from unusual PCs and the like that we occasionally get.

Today I got an email saying "I" missed my Jan payment, so the account holder missed his first months payment on a $374 balance. Never had a Capital One card, and never will (now).

Everyone is not smart. That's a certainty.

With latest news of missing a payment, I suspect this is fraud, not just fat fingering an email address.

Formally request investigation? Probably good idea to put it in writing.

Everyone is not smart. That's a certainty.

With latest news of missing a payment, I suspect this is fraud, not just fat fingering an email address.

Formally request investigation? Probably good idea to put it in writing.
I was thinking that too, but op has now shared that past due balance is only $374, hardly fraud worthy. Many times if its fraud app they'll run balance up and then run. Or they'll go into bust out fraud (Google search it) and really take bank for a loss.

Today I got an email saying "I" missed my Jan payment, so the account holder missed his first months payment on a $374 balance. Never had a Capital One card, and never will (now).
This does begin to sound like the account holder is complicit in a fraudulent act. (You also mentioned that you received initial emails from Amex and Discovery.) You will only know if your SS number is associated with the account once you check your credit reports. Given what you know I think I would also freeze my credit for the time being until this sorts itself out. If you get an email stating that the account holder missed his second payment I would think that a call to Cap One's fraud alert department would be taken more seriously. In that case I don't see the harm in sharing your SS # with them. Does the notice via email use a name? Like Mr. John Doe; You have missed a payment?

FYI. I have a Cap One credit card and they have always handled my account very well. Their fraud alert department is very diligent. I am out of the country at present and they have called and emailed me about charges to my credit card, this despite the fact that I set up an away alert on their website. I suppose you could consider that incompetence but I call it an abundance of caution on their part.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom